July Optimism Gauge

maqroll

I'm hugely optimistic.

For no other reason that Lambert will point the club in the right direction. How far he takes us in that direction remains to be seen. But the mere fact we'll be heading up and not down is enough to get me excited

incredibly optimistic.

We have The Manager for the moment. He's got a great vibe about him and he is someone I trust to do well in maximising players.

We may not get the star names this year, but the players who do come in will have a very real impact on the side. I can see him improving the youngsters and not ruining players. Not to mention this year in particular is a highly pressure free year more or less. Looking where we are to other sides top 10 would be good and is achievable, and will be a healthy step towards competing higher up than that, afterwards.

Max poss (realistically) 7th

should be 7-10th really in a group with everton, newcastle, sunderland, QPR as our mini league.

Very optimistic that football will be fun again.

The most important ingredient for doing well is the Manager and I think PL is just right for us. Tactically astute, a great motivator, full of energy and ambition, and a touch of a head case.

I am convinced he is worth a dozen more points than Mcleish without any new signings, and more than that with some - and I couldn't care less whether they are 'marquee' (ugly word) signings.

I don't go for the 'transition' idea - and neither will he - we've had that excuse 2 years running, winners don't think that way.

And I totally agree we have lost a fair few players since we pushed for top 4 but only 2 who were hard to replace, and I see no reason why well coached motivated players under this Manager can't get Top 10 as a minimum, and with some , luck Top 6 - 8. I dont think we have anything to be scared of again now.

Most importantly I know it will be fun again.

In the formative months i will be looking at the progress of the quality of the football being played.

I will look at the league table with interest after i am sure the quality of our game has improved....then and only then will i take any interest in the league placing.

In the formative months i will be looking at the progress of the quality of the football being played.

I will look at the league table with interest after i am sure the quality of our game has improved....then and only then will i take any interest in the league placing.

same as myself. dont really care about league placing next season once there's clear signs of the club being on the road to recovery in terms of football being played

I think PL will lift the pressure off the players and free the shackles imposed last year. I dont think we will see the likes of Peter Grant screaming "Get back" at players constantly like the previous regime.

I think PL is focused and has a clear picture of how he wants the team to play, an idea of where he wants us to go and a clear plan of how to get there. Success doesnt happen overnight and it will be a program of work, but it should stand the club in good stead for the upcoming generations.

I love the fact he wants and constantly emphasizes "young" but most importantly "HUNGRY". There is no ambiguity in this message, get a grip, work to my program otherwise move on. PL is the gaffer, its his way or the highway.

For all of these reasons, I am optimistic. I look forward to players earning the shirt, wanting to succeed and free to play the game in the right way.

I'm very optimistic that we can/will finish anywhere from 8th-12th, I don't think the squad is that poor tbh it's just that we looked that way under the imbecile that won't be named, again as already mentioned I'm not sure a marquee signing would be essential but I'm all for Lambert to carry on buying as he has started and as he did at Norwich, we need rid of Hutton and I think Lambert will get rid of him but I would actually keep Warnock as I still think he can do a job for us at left back under Lambert....UTV, SOTC.

last season even a monkey could have got villa into at least 12th place.

it was one of the weakest leagues for a long time, several poor teams.

this season will be harder, teams like wet spam coming up, qpr now starting to spend, last seasons new comers establishing themselves

however now we have a manager who plays football

so realistically we could finish anywhere from 15th to 8th without too much tinkerng wth the players

as he is getting in his own players and if he is allowed to **** off certain players then my expectation gets higher

if we lose collins , warnock ( although i think under a good manager he MAY come good again) dunne and that abortion mutton, restructure the midfield so rather than just shoving people in there because they on paper are attacking players actualy having a system where the midfielders are used correctly and keeping bent fit and also weimann / gabby

we SHOULD be hitting top 10

however as long as the football gets better and we TRY to get results rather than try to cling on to a 1-0 loss i will be happy

if we are in a good position come january however, my expectations will be higher.

I am feeling very optimistic for 2012/13. I went to two games last season, and the quality of football on display was that bad that I honestly couldn’t justify spending £40/£50 every other weekend on something which for the first time ever, I was not enjoying.

Since PL has come in, I have got carried away again. I’ve registered for VillaTalk, I’ve bought the new shirt (very impressed), I’m off to Burton next weekend, and I’m planning a trip to West Ham on the opening day. The new signings, although not ‘big-name’, all seem to have very similar traits in that they are intelligent, hard-working footballers, rather than clodders and speed-merchants, and i’m interested to see how PL is planning on getting the team playing. I’m also looking forward to seeing how he is going to work with players like Ireland, Bannan and Gardner, who are all very intelligent footballers, but have spent the last year sitting in front of the back-four watching James Collins’ clearances booming over their heads.

My only potential issue is that because PL appears to be slowly, but fundamentally, changing the way the club plays football, if results don’t go his way in the first 5-6 games, fans may get on his back, (similar to Houllier who tried to do the same thing). He needs time and backing, and if we finish 15th/16th this season but the football is moving in the right direction, then that would be alright for me!

To be honest I'd have been optimistic about this season whatever happened as long as we had a change. At the minute Lambert seems to be getting his team assembled as quickly as possible, really looking forward to this season.

I am optimistic of the coming season and the tenure of Mr Lambert... Out of ten, I am optimistic to the tune of 8.3.

We are at the start of a new journey, a difficult and challenging journey - Rome wasn't built in a day. For me, top half would be great and a sound base from which to build. Paul will benefit from a honeymoon period as well, which is nice.

I'm nervous as a result of the two previous campaigns - but I feel assured that I am almost guaranteed a better brand of football, and whatever joy and excitement that may bring, even if we lose. Something that stung me last season - the total lack of passion. Rolling over and dying without giving a toss.

Up The Villa - in Lambert we trust...

Â