General Transfer speculation thread with guff from Twitter

TrentVilla

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as i hated the way he left us, i'd have Downing back without a doubt

It doesn't take much memory searching to remember how vital he became to our side in his last season here. He added pace, width and a bit of flair (and a few goals) all things we so desperately lack from midfield right now

He hasn't set Liverpool alight, but i never thought he would. That said it wasn't really his fault that he failed to claim any assists last season, the games i saw he set plenty of chance sup but that Carroll fellow people rave about on here kept missing them!

He left to try and better himself, no different to Barry, Milner and Young. And as time has worn on i've often wondered if we got the full story about any of their sales. I've heard more than one rumour that certain players weren't in fact desperate to leave, but the club didn't show them any reason to stay

If the bin dippers still owe us 9-10m then right it off and lets get him back and laying on chances for Bent to pop in the net

Surely we have more important positions to sort out than CB?

Actually we don't, if you look at Saturday's result, and the manner in which we conceded the goals.

We still need a quality forward as well, that's for sure.

Chelsea may as well sell Benayoun, I can't see him getting near the team with all the midfielders they've been buying.

at the age of 32, and no doubt on no less than 50k a week i'm struggling to see any value in at all

No wonder we said no for Huddlestone.

TOM Huddlestone's proposed move from Tottenham to Stoke City was back in the balance today following concerns over his long-term ankle problem.

The issue was raised during a routine medical at Stoke ahead of a proposed loan move until the end of the season.

Now Stoke and Tottenham are back in talks to see whether a revised deal can be struck for the 27-year-old one-time England international, below.

Stoke would want to protect themselves financially in case Huddlestone broke down during his time at the Britannia Stadium.

The giant midfielder has not played a competitive game since August 28 last year – and required two ankle operations last term before returning to pre-season action this summer.

From here: http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/Stoke-City-Concern-Tom-Huddlestone-s-ankle-injury/story-16761435-detail/story.html

If he gave up the burgers his ankle wouldn't have so much stress on it

Schmeichel, Ginola, Nilis - were world class; but not when they played for us. I think it would be the same for Dimitar.

Schmeichel was world class ca. 10 years before he came to us. Ginola was never in that bracket, but he was a world class entertainer and a very, very fine footballer. He never played for a top club so it is hard to judge him as such. Nilis world class? Again, a very fine footballer and a hero in his own country and all - but only played for PSV in his peak. 10 goals uin 56 games for Belgium is good, but not great. Dimitar Berbatov on the other hand, as of now, is a very capable footballer who is unlucky to be behind several great players at United. He is not a finished article like all the other players you mentioned when they got here, he has won numerous trophies since his arrival at United and can still be classed as a top player. World class? Probably not anymore due to limited playing time, but if he played for let's say Bayern Münich or AC Milan he would still show his skills.

£9 million plus massive wages for Dawson. No thanks! When Dunne is fit we will be ok in that position. LB and midfield is the important positions need strengthened. Gabby will be a huge boost when he returns with Weiman as backup. Get Delfouneso out on loan.

With Clark being in "indifferent" form and dunne being injured, you can see that given cannot handle too much pressured I think we need two players for defence, centre and left back. Get him signed

How much do you think Blackpool would ask for Phillips or for Ince?

I'm struggling to figure out exactly what players values are since Wolves went ga-ga with Fletcher and Jarvis. I'm guessing around £8m each should do it, but I'm not sure if I'm undervaluing them, how much do you reckon Holloway would push for?

With Clark being in "indifferent" form and dunne being injured, you can see that given cannot handle too much pressured I think we need two players for defence, centre and left back. Get him signed

I agree, but if the rumours of us only getting 2 players in are to be believed I'd rather we got in a LB and a forward.

How much do you think Blackpool would ask for Phillips or for Ince?

I'm struggling to figure out exactly what players values are since Wolves went ga-ga with Fletcher and Jarvis. I'm guessing around £8m each should do it, but I'm not sure if I'm undervaluing them, how much do you reckon Holloway would push for?

I think Phillips started on the bench at the weekend. Something in the paper today praising Ince and saying his dads advised him to stay where he is for now

Agreed. Having seen first two matches, I think a CB is actually quite high priority - Dunne won't be back for at least a month and I'd expect it'll be another month after that before he's up to speed (in relative terms!) as he's been injured for most of 2012. I don't really want to be relying on him staying fit.

Dawson sounds like he could be expensive for his age, Spurs are good at milking every penny out of people, but our defence is desperately inexperienced. with the current status of Hutton/Warnock/Dunne, Vlaar is our only available defender over 23 and he's got to adjust to this league.

QPR, Stoke & Sunderland all linked to Dawson too, so who knows if there's any substance..