General Transfer speculation thread with guff from Twitter

TrentVilla

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Richard, I sense some doubt in your post whereas before you were adamant PL would get backing. I am the same. My hope and enthusiasm is slowly fading.

Assume a best case scenario - he had £20m to start with

He has around £12m left - hes had since June to spend it - basically we have to complete 3/4 deals to get 3 or 4 players - highly unlikely - even then these players are likley to be £3 - 4m each - and have to settle blend etc.

It don't look good - I can't remember feeling this gloomy 2 games in. Sure we have had poor starts before - but then its been a case of good players playing poorly - I don't think that is the case now.

....At least we get gloomy Richard back

I dont even think theres a slim chance well end up above 10-12th possition, this will always be a transitional season for us so i think we can expect more hammerings.

we'll definitely be on the receiving end of a few thumpings this year alright. the problem is that it's now our third transition season in a row. that's the biggest issue. i know houllier wasnt popular, but he had started to implement a footballing plan that, had he still been our manager now, we would be seeing the rewards of quite clearly

having him gone, then replaced with mcleish for a season, essentially killed any of the momentum that wouldve been building behind the scenes and on the training ground. he was a cock, yes. he had more interest in the scousers, yes. but he had a footballing plan, which we lacked since he left.

we now have one again, and just like with houllier's season, this one will be more miss than hit until the players get used to it. what we cannot, absolutely cannot, have is another manager in the next 3 years. whatever happens lambert has to stay in charge, and we have to keep progressing the footballing pan.

that'll mean some heavy beatings. it'll mean plenty of games this season where we play tippy tappy dull stuff. it'll means looking toothless for quite a while. but when we get through the other side of that, it'll mean we know how to use the ball, we know how to keep it, we know how to tire opponents, we know how to absorb pressure without knackering ourselves, we know how to play through the opposition and, most importantly, we have a steadfast ethos on how the game is played at aston villa fc, which will make bringing in improvements a much easier job than it otherwise would be.

if lambert can't identify players available who want to join us that are capable of fitting into that ethos, then what's the point in signing what will become future deadwood? long term that's what hurt us previously, and it'll hurt us again. it's glass ceiling management and it's ultimately pointless.

once there's a plan here, which has the intention of getting us playing football that revolves around possession, we will reap rewards. booing players, abusing the owner and slitting our wrists after 2 games of the season is pointless. get behind the manager, get behind the team, and look at the bigger picture, anything else is just making it more difficult than it needs to be

watching us passing the ball around the back four and midfield, and then saying we're shit after a couple of games serves no purpose. can people honestly not see the benefit in that kind of football, or the fact that it's a stepping stone to something much bigger, and much more rewarding, but ultimately something that'll take 2-3 years to genuinely pay dividends?

Richard, I sense some doubt in your post whereas before you were adamant PL would get backing. I am the same. My hope and enthusiasm is slowly fading.
I just don't know what to believe. Yes there is a week left but I would have thought most of it should have been done already as this stage of the window we look desperate, especially given the first two results .

Kjp, it matters not what I was told, that is not the problem. If it is not as I believed it to be then he issue is with me and that is what will have disappointed me greatly that I , after three years of clear thinking on this, will have been sucked in again.

But 5 days left I suppose. Let's see.

He has around £12m left - hes had since June to spend it - basically we have to complete 3/4 deals to get 3 or 4 players - highly unlikely - even then these players are likley to be £3 - 4m each - and have to settle blend etc.

It don't look good - I can't remember feeling this gloomy 2 games in. Sure we have had poor starts before - but then its been a case of good players playing poorly - I don't think that is the case now.

No, you get angry Richard, there is a huge difference

Part of me thinks Lambert said to Lerner that he was confident he could get more out of the squad where McLeish failed, maybe with a few key changes. Now he has to tell change tact and tell Lerner that they have to enable a bit of short term thinking in order that the long term plan can take shape. Lerner just has to accept that he will have to pay large fees and wages to give the team a spine whilst lambert works to trim the fat and develop more reasonable overseas youth and lower league targets in the not to distant future. Whether they come to this conclusion in time I have no idea.

If we dont sign more than 1 player, is it time for Randy to sell up?

If we don't sign more than 1 player - it becomes ever more clear that has little interest in taking us forward.

For sale 1 Midland Club - Premier Status Expires May 2013 - Debts - Plenty - :- Playing Staff Poor ......Offers around £150m ......

Not appealing is it.

I don't like the sound of angry Richard :(

More signings pls

Well we all know we need 2 or 3 at a minimum. I dont think many people are exepcting any more because signings more than 7 players in a transfer window is very rare. We know it will take PL 3 transfer windows to get the squad he wants. However, to make sure he can do that we need to ensure we have a competitive team this season to maintain our PL status. At present we have a squad and team bereft of confidence, togetherness and creativity. Its a bit of a nothing team to be honest.

I just don't know what to believe. Yes there is a week left but I would have thought most of it should have been done already as this stage of the window we look desperate, especially given the first two results .

Kjp, it matters not what I was told, that is not the problem. If it is not as I believed it to be then he issue is with me and that is what will have disappointed me greatly that I , after three years of clear thinking on this, will have been sucked in again.

I think on the whole, as a race we want to think the best of someone, so it'll be hugely disappointing if Randy doesn't give Lambert some backing.

But if we dont sign anyone, surely that brings up the question of why would Lambert join us if he wasn't going to be backed. A question you have posed to others when they have been flapping. Perhaps the answer is that he still will be but things havent worked out this window.

Baker is better than Clark imo.

I would agree - with a note of caution - the game was effectively over when Baker went to CB.

More worrying for me is the fact that Lambert publicly put his faith in Clark - I thought maybe he had seen something we hadn't. A massive error - can't wait for Dunne to be fit TBH.

Ciaran Clark is **** shite. That is all on him.

Bannan is even worse, and delph is even worse again. The Fonz was a waste of a spunk.

But if we dont sign anyone, surely that brings up the question of why would Lambert join us if he wasn't going to be backed. A question you have posed to others when they have been flapping. Perhaps the answer is that he still will be but things havent worked out this window.

I know and that is another point in the "reasons to still be positive " envelope (as Glenn would say)

:shock:

I know and that is another point in the "reasons to still be positive " envelope (as Glenn would say)

Or he just came for the money?

I can see some panic spending in January, similar to what we had two years ago when Bent came in.

Not sure what to expect from this week, left back will certainly come in but not sure who else which will leave us short in areas of the squad.