General Transfer speculation thread with guff from Twitter

TrentVilla

Seems strange to me to want this manager , believe he is a good manager and then not trust his judgement.

IF he wants Defoe and or Jones (at this point it is still an IF) thenit is because he believes they will add to the team and help him make us more successful than we have been in the last two years. IF he believes that the addition of these players is going to improve us then at this point (ie before a ball has been kicked in anger) he deserves the freedom / trust to make that decision and recruit them. To not give him that trustwell you may as well shut up shop now as only the likes of Pep Guardiola spending 100M will suit you.

I will certainly give him that trust to get on with the job, which is not an easy one and is one that will not be sorted just by one transfer window, but will take two or three or four windows to resolve the mess he has been left with after the past two managers

My problem is not with trusting the coaching staff - I do. My problem is that I had rather hoped - further, I had been led to believe - that the board might let Lambert make a couple of genuinely ambitious signings rather than bargain basement knockoffs to paper over the frankly enormous cracks left by the firesale of almost every quality player we have had over the past few years.

Who knows, maybe they will. But links to players like Kenwyne Jones don't fill me with confidence. Lambert is a good manager but I'm hoping his hands aren't tied too firmly behind his back.

Two things from this Patrick

1. Is the window finished yet?

2. If you have been led to believe it then you can rest assured that Lambert has laso been led to believe that he will be backed to turn us around. So do you think they would have taken the risk of lieing to him? He doesn't strike me as someone who will put up with that and I'm sure the board are aware of that

Sit back, relax enjoy the match tomorrow safe in the knowledge that our team is changing and will continue to change, for the good.

I hope so Richard. I think we'll be fairly busy during the final week of the window, I'm just getting a little nervous about whether the quality will be what I was hoping for, but let's see.

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The window ain't closed yet

We say that this time every year and always end up disappointed. What makes this year so different?

The fact that this time we have already brought in several new players.. This isn't a MON situation where no one has been looked at yet and we are hoping he actually does something in the final 2 weeks, we have already done things so we know that if Lambert wants a few more in after Saturday's game it will more than likely happen.

It's the quality of signings that should be of interest to Villa fans, not quantity. The players who have joined this summer are nothing more than average. The type of signings a promoted team would make, not an established PL club like Aston Villa. If we don't make some quality signings before the end of August we are going to struggle this season. Lerner needs to pull his finger out or we'll be in deep shit.

Right. So when you said very slowly

THERE......IS........NO.......MONEY.......TO.......SPEND.

You didn't mean it?

I get it now.

Ah seleceted quoting..... doh.gif

You are a former NOTW employee and I claim my £5.

Who did we sell to buy Lowton

Who did we sell to buy KEA

From my perspective the only thing that people can remotely use is the fact that shipped out a poor performing defender who no one on here seemed to rate in Collins and replaced him with a defender that most seemed excited about in Vlaar.

Seems to me if a journo asks Lambert outright about a random player, his stock answer is "I like them, yes they are a good player" if he has any interest in signing them or not. Along the lines of ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer. After all he's said much the same about Carroll, Defoe and Jones now.

Seems to me if a journo asks Lambert outright about a random player, his stock answer is "I like them, yes they are a good player" if he has any interest in signing them or not. Along the lines of ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer. After all he's said much the same about Carroll, Defoe and Jones now.

:thumb:

I am just going to throw it out one more time...DEMPSEY DEMPSEY DEMPSEY

It will probably never happen, but I have a small bit of hope in me. Liverpool up until this point have seemed to absolute f*** him over in regards to a potential move and if it does not materialize we should definitely swoop in on him. Just saying.

Dempsey Situation

Right. So when you said very slowly

THERE......IS........NO.......MONEY.......TO.......SPEND.

You didn't mean it?

I get it now.

Ah seleceted quoting..... doh.gif

You are a former NOTW employee and I claim my £5.

:lol: wow you answered that one well.

I said our level of investment right now is not acceptable.

You very slowly, and clearly, said we have no money and have to sell players to free up wages before bringing players in.

Now others have said that we are doing this because it's sensible and the right thing to do. You are saying we are doing it because we physically have to free up those wages as we don't have the money.

Are you now changing your mind? If so maybe you didn't have to speak so slowly to me. Maybe suggesting i write it in crayon was a bit daft.

From my perspective the only thing that people can remotely use is the fact that shipped out a poor performing defender who no one on here seemed to rate in Collins and replaced him with a defender that most seemed excited about in Vlaar.

To be fair noone. But Beye, Cuellar and Heskey were all released and Collins sold.

Given that we have bought in:

Holman: Free

KEA: c.£3.5m

Vlaar: c.£5m

Lowton: c.£3m

The policy is fairly clear. 4 out. 4 in with a net reduction in wages.

It will probably never happen, but I have a small bit of hope in me. Liverpool up until this point have seemed to absolute f*** him over in regards to a potential move and if it does not materialize we should definitely swoop in on him. Just saying.

Dempsey Situation

I like him as a player and I wanted him three years ago, but I just think his age now counts against him. If we could get value then yes, but at the money Fulham will want and no return for it then I'd pass.

Heskey, cuellar and jenas all freed up wages which have been spent on new players.

I assume makoun, hutton and warnock will do the same.

Dempsey Situation

I like him as a player and I wanted him three years ago, but I just think his age now counts against him. If we could get value then yes, but at the money Fulham will want and no return for it then I'd pass.

I hear what you're saying but disagree; Dempsey's in his prime at 29yrs and could be awesome for the next three/four seasons!

Now others have said that we are doing this because it's sensible and the right thing to do. You are saying we are doing it because we physically have to free up those wages as we don't have the money.

It IS the sensible thing to do becuase the club made a £54m loss last year. Clearly if thats the case, there IS pressure on the wage budget because we have been paying stupid sums of money to donkeys.

This whole conversation came about because you were bleating on about the fact the club have spent less so far than Doug did in his last summer.

I've merely offered you (repeatedly) a reason for that course of action.

This is boring me now. Have a virtual pint. :cheers: Lets both chill the fudge out, and cheer the boys on tomorrow.

Heskey, cuellar and jenas all freed up wages which have been spent on new players.

Oh my God.............

Dempsey Situation

I would say if you could do the deal at under 8 million go for it because I think he could be an ideal partner for Bent. But his age certainly does work against him at this point and while I do not think a signing should be made based off resale value, you could look at it as well if he signs a three year deal are we guaranteed the consistency of 10-15 goals a season for each season? To which the answer is certainly very debatable

And the transfer fees for those players considering the others left for free??? just came out of nowhere did they?