General Transfer speculation thread with guff from Twitter

TrentVilla

a Berbatov and Bent strike partnership sounds like perhaps the most awful partnership we could ever hope to create up front. 2 of the laziest strikers we could ever hope to put togther..

------Ireland

--Berbatov-Bent

Jesus, they'd have a game of cards on the go at the edge of the opposition box waiting for the ball to come within a 10 yard distance from them before thinking about moving.

Awful idea. Just, awful.

Bent really isn't lazy.

Not lazy per se in the sense that he doesn't move (I'm a big fan of Bent). I.E vs Swansea Bent covered more ground than any other player on the pitch this season, so yes he isn't lazy in that sense I guess I meant more in the sense of how involved he gets in a game, he reads the game and makes runs to get into positions very well but in the build-up and creating part of the game he is non-existant (yes I know thats not his game).

The point being that a Berbatov and Bent partnership wouldn't do anything, there is no grafter that is going to go wide to help create or drop deeper to pick up the ball and make those powerful runs, it wouldn't work at all and we'd have two isolated strikers not doing an awful lot picking up somewhere in the region of 150k a week between them.

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's with Lukaku anyway, Drogba leaves so you would think it'd be his time to step up!

Different style of play I presume. I assume Torres will be the main man.

Especially after Torres saying he wasn't happy at the end of the season.. Chelsea clearly said something to him about playing more football as he quickly changed his tune. Lukaku wouldn't get in ahead of Torres, and definately not ahead of a Torres who appears to have complained his way into regular first team football.

I have to say I am just mildly happy with this transfer window thus far. Not great, not bad, just middle of the road really. In fact, all of our signings can turn out to be decent, but there is a risk that all of them do not make it at all. I am all for buying unknowns to save money and to harvest a few future gems, but it is also very important to bring in known quantity although they can cost a little bit more. We were relegation material last season, now we are top 10 at best - most likely 12-14th if not worse.

I did expect something more after a good start to the window, but I guess anything can happen from now on in. Adam Johnson and a new striker and we are all set. The problem is that we do not have more money than anyone else, we do not have the attraction to us compared to anyone else and we cannot give any high wages. So the known players we want, are probably wanted by 10 other clubs and then we face an equal battle. Say Adam Johnson, he is coveted by 10 clubs I would assume, so even if we got a bid accepted we would not get him easily at all.

a Berbatov and Bent strike partnership sounds like perhaps the most awful partnership we could ever hope to create up front. 2 of the laziest strikers we could ever hope to put togther..

------Ireland

--Berbatov-Bent

Jesus, they'd have a game of cards on the go at the edge of the opposition box waiting for the ball to come within a 10 yard distance from them before thinking about moving.

Awful idea. Just, awful.

You're very misguided. Neither Ireland nor Bent are lazy. Berbatov, yes. But he's exactly the type of forward that we need. I'd have him here in a heartbeat.

You can forget the Adam Johnsons of this world

The strategy has clearly changed and we can expect a few more unknows, or unpolished gems hopefully

More than happy to risk going down this route

There really isn't another option commercially

Mat Kendrick ‏@MatKendrick

Stephen Warnock not part of the 18-man Villa squad which flew to Germany today for tomorrow's Werder Bremen friendly

One can hope he is off!

Was coming to post the same thing. I guess Lambert gave him a shot and now he is gone.

Mat Kendrick ‏@MatKendrick

Stephen Warnock not part of the 18-man Villa squad which flew to Germany today for tomorrow's Werder Bremen friendly

One can hope he is off!

Interesting to see who plays at leftback then.

You can forget the Adam Johnsons of this world

The strategy has clearly changed and we can expect a few more unknows, or unpolished gems hopefully

More than happy to risk going down this route

There really isn't another option commercially

That's a terrible poem, it doesn't even rhyme.