General Transfer speculation thread with guff from Twitter

TrentVilla

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spurs obviously knew he would be a big talent, and probably didn't want us to have an option to buy...

Did they really though? How many games had he played for them before moving to us? 2 league games. At a time where Hutton was regularly playing surely they would have just thrown him in at the deep end, when Corluka was injured. They obviously thought he'd have potential but we should have said we wanted a deal in place to make it permanent.

Yeah spurs didn't know at all - he excelled while with us

You can't honestly believe Spurs didn't know how good Walker was and would be? Seriously? Even if they weren't sure they will have had an idea. It was never on.

Ridiculous series of posts. Some of you live on a different planet.

Instead of trying to be a clever dick, why dont you state the reasons against what we are saying??

They didn't want him, sent him on loan continously - he was expected to sign for us, but nobody expected him to play so well.

They sent him on loan to gain experience, experience we benefited from. You'd have to be a **** moron to not spot talent in Walker, it took me all of 20 minutes and I'm no Damien Comolli.

Who expected him to sign for us? You? I've never seen a single shred of evidence that a deal was ever on the cards. Why WOULDN'T we agree an option at the time of the loan if that was the case.

Well they clearly felt Naughton was the better propect having taken him directly to Spurs while keeping Walker at Sheffield United, when they signed the two. I'm pretty sure this echoes what the Sheffield United fans thought at the time as well and I'm almost certain the bigger piece of the transfer fee was to do with Naughton. So please tell me how you can be so sure Spurs knew he would be as good as he is?

How long between the Naughton/Walker deal and Walkers loan to us? 18 months? Besides which, they sent Naughton on loan last season while Walker was their number one right back. Perhaps in the early days they thought Walker needed a bit more experience while Naughton was the more finished article, who knows.

None of this points to the Walker loan being a bad thing for AVFC.

Or is he out of contract with Utd ?

I don't think so. If he was out of contract then I think we'd have heard more about it.

I don't know how I'd feel about getting him on loan.

I think we should only be loaning two types of players:

a) Players like Berbatov that play for top teams, but are no longer wanted.

B) Players on the up from foreign sides that WE would prefer to loan, before splashing money on, what could be, a flop.

Berbatov fits the first criteria, but he's one of those players that could change games for a team, but could also spend 3 weeks moping around on the pitch like a lost puppy.

I think I'd say buy him with Man Utd chipping in to compensate a wage drop or look for a different option (all hypothetically assuming we were even interested in him!)

Well they clearly felt Naughton was the better propect having taken him directly to Spurs while keeping Walker at Sheffield United, when they signed the two. I'm pretty sure this echoes what the Sheffield United fans thought at the time as well and I'm almost certain the bigger piece of the transfer fee was to do with Naughton. So please tell me how you can be so sure Spurs knew he would be as good as he is?

How long between the Naughton/Walker deal and Walkers loan to us? 18 months? Besides which, they sent Naughton on loan last season while Walker was their number one right back. Perhaps in the early days they thought Walker needed a bit more experience while Naughton was the more finished article, who knows.

Where have I said it was a bad thing for us? Ive said I was very glad we had him, Ive constantly been in favour of loan deals if you look at my previous comments. What I have said is we made the mistake that we did not agree to put a fee in his loan deal for which we could sign him. Ive also posted an argument which I think is more than plausible that Naughton was seen as the better prospect. However you seem certain that Spurs knew he was going to be a huge talent. Gareth Bale was also seen as a huge prospect but yet never ventured out on loan whilst at Spurs.

Where have I said it was a bad thing for us? Ive said I was very glad we had him, Ive constantly been in favour of loan deals if you look at my previous comments. What I have said is we made the mistake that we did not agree to put a fee in his loan deal for which we could sign him. Ive also posted an argument which I think is more than plausible that Naughton was seen as the better prospect. However you seem certain that Spurs knew he was going to be a huge talent. Gareth Bale was also seen as a huge prospect but yet never ventured out on loan whilst at Spurs.

Ok. I've got you now. I would suggest that they would have known, like we did, from watching him play for QPR.

It's difficult to have a go at the club for not agreeing a fee when there isn't a shred of evidence to suggest that was an option. I wish we had done, obviously. But I doubt it was ever on the table.

Agree to disagree because we're about to go round in circles?! :winkold:

Ok. I've got you now. I would suggest that they would have known, like we did, from watching him play for QPR.

It's difficult to have a go at the club for not agreeing a fee when there isn't a shred of evidence to suggest that was an option. I wish we had done, obviously. But I doubt it was ever on the table.

Agree to disagree because we're about to go round in circles?! :winkold:

I was going to propose it ;)

Redknobb did say at the time the Walker loan was only a loan -to give him experience.

But clubs often say that, Benitez was saying near identical things about Carson back in 2007. Unless it's a young player that has come through the Academy and is hugely popular with fans and management alike, I generally see such comments as merely an attempt to knock the price up, make it seem like the player is an asset -rather than someone they want to get shot of.

Far more revealing was Walker's role at THFC at the time -effectively third choice behind Corluka and Hutton. That's how much Redknobb rated him.

And Walker's own comments soon after signing, he said he wanted first team football- and if Villa could give it but Tottingham couldn't, he'd be happy to stay.

Later - after he'd been called up to the England squad and was turning in quality performances in the topflight- the tone changed and he said himself he'd most likely be going back to Tottingham.

a Berbatov and Bent strike partnership sounds like perhaps the most awful partnership we could ever hope to create up front. 2 of the laziest strikers we could ever hope to put togther..

------Ireland

--Berbatov-Bent

Jesus, they'd have a game of cards on the go at the edge of the opposition box waiting for the ball to come within a 10 yard distance from them before thinking about moving.

Awful idea. Just, awful.

I have a feeling all our business is done, we got the players in early so that they are settled in for the season. Maybe an uninspiring loan deal before the end of the window.

I hope I am wrong...

a Berbatov and Bent strike partnership sounds like perhaps the most awful partnership we could ever hope to create up front. 2 of the laziest strikers we could ever hope to put togther..

------Ireland

--Berbatov-Bent

Jesus, they'd have a game of cards on the go at the edge of the opposition box waiting for the ball to come within a 10 yard distance from them before thinking about moving.

Awful idea. Just, awful.

Bent really isn't lazy.

If you look at the stats you'll find that Berbatov actually covers a decent amount of ground per match, he's not lazy he just looks it in his body language.

That said he's not going to run through brick walls for you, he's not like Paul Dickov for work rate but he's definitely not as lazy as some make out.

Berbatov would be a top quality signing but a very unlikely one.