General Transfer speculation thread with guff from Twitter

TrentVilla

Carroll is 23, he's a massive threat in the air and on his day is unplayable.

In all honesty I'd say he could be worth the gamble. Maybe offer £15m + incentives (i.e so many league goals / appearances, international goals etc...)

He does have a massive upside!

Yeah 15mill is the max I would go up for Carroll and add ons. Think he can link up great with Gabby or Bent and Lambert can bring the best out of him.

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New Reds boss Brendan Rodgers has told flop forward Carroll he is free to find himself a new club this summer, but Liverpool are refusing to rush into a deal, and have already turned down attempts from Newcastle and West Ham to bag the England international on loan.

The duo have been told to come back with cash offers of at least £20 million, and while that figure has scared off West Ham, Newcastle remain around the negotiating table, and believe patience will eventually see Liverpool accept their loan with an option to buy proposal.

However, the Magpies are now likely to face strong competition from Aston Villa, after chairman Randy Lerner promised Paul Lambert funds to try and bring the 23-year-old to the Midlands.

Metro understands that Villa opened talks with Liverpool over a deal last night, and while they too only want Carroll on loan initially, they would be prepared to put together a financial package worth the requested £20 million.

The only stumbling block appears to be Carroll's desire to return to the North East, with reports now emerging that the bulky frontman has already told friends he will do all he can to seal a return to first club Newcastle this summer.

It's a statement that was expected from Carroll's camp, but speaking earlier this week, Villa boss Lambert refused to be negative in their attempts to land the player, even though he knows it will be difficult:

'If we could get him it would be great,' Lambert told the local media.

'He's a top player, there's no doubt. It wouldn't be one I would dismiss if we could get him.'

The Villa confidence comes because chairman Lerner has promised £15 million to try and conclude a deal, while Liverpool still owe money on their transfer of Stewart Downing last summer, but that could be written off if Carroll is allowed to head to Villa Park.

Carroll is expected to decide on his future when he returns from holiday next week.

From the Metro

Sounds like the bin dippers still owe us a few quid from the Downing transfer.

Hmm! Andy Carroll my irony muscle has just gone into spasm. This is the same Andy Carroll who appeared in THAT photo with Downing, apparently a prime driver in pushing for him to move across to Scouseland. And now the outstanding payments from Downing to be used to help pay for his move to us .. its a mad mad world! :?: :?: :?:

Carroll is 23, he's a massive threat in the air and on his day is unplayable.

In all honesty I'd say he could be worth the gamble. Maybe offer £15m + incentives (i.e so many league goals / appearances, international goals etc...)

He does have a massive upside!

As opposed to Heskey, who had a massive backside.

I would love to see Carroll join but for me £15m would be on the high side.

I reckon his true value is nearer to £10m but with the premium on English players £15m is possibly reasonable.

For what its worth would also love to see Berbatov if the numbers work. People forgetting he was their top scorer before Ferguson changed the way he wanted to play.

Guy has so much talent and Villa would give him a platform to start every game and show it.

Can anyone see Bent and Carroll working up front together? I can't see that working at all.

I can actually.. Bent is a poacher and he cannot do his job without others taking chances. Let's say.. Carruthers crosses the ball in Carroll heads it bottom corner the keeper parries to be met with Bent storming the ball into the net. When you have a poacher you need another player, a target man someone that will shoot and do things to create chances for said poacher. Yes Bent can run onto a ball and score that way, but he's built his career around nicking goals from shots other players have taken Carroll would be ideal.

There are better players we can get for 15m up front.

I cant actually think of any who do the same job that Andy Carrol does?

I was going to say a similar thing, who could we get for £15million instead? I can think of Luuk De Jong but that is about it..

At only 23 years old, if he's a success at Villa and moves on, he'll be worth a lot more again. If he's not great (and I personally think he would do well here), he'll still have a good sell on price.

He's big, strong, has a good touch and a he'll of a left foot. We may even get a few from corners, with him and Vlaar following Carew and Laursen in that mould.

Can anyone see Bent and Carroll working up front together? I can't see that working at all.

I can actually.. Bent is a poacher and he cannot do his job without others taking chances. Let's say.. Carruthers crosses the ball in Carroll heads it bottom corner the keeper parries to be met with Bent storming the ball into the net. When you have a poacher you need another player, a target man someone that will shoot and do things to create chances for said poacher. Yes Bent can run onto a ball and score that way, but he's built his career around nicking goals from shots other players have taken Carroll would be ideal.

Morley crosses, Withe heads it down, Shaw puts it away.

Could work again.

Pointless having a player such as Carroll without the supply from the wide positions

Unless were going to play him deeper getting the flick on's to bent which would mean us lumping up to his head every few mins

I'd take him on a permanent basis but not on loan

There are better players we can get for 15m up front.

I cant actually think of any who do the same job that Andy Carrol does?

I was going to say a similar thing, who could we get for £15million instead? I can think of Luuk De Jong but that is about it..

Doesn't matter he has gone to Monchengladbach anyway...

At Newcastle he was the New Alan Shearer and it went to his head. It went to his head because everyone kept telling him he was the New Alan Shearer. At 21. Of course it went to his head. It would go to anyone's head.

At £15m plus add-ons, we would be mad NOT to take him. He's a significantly better player than he showed in a Liverpool shirt.

Hope he doesn't join. Didn't Daglish more or less say he isn't too professional off the field. Looks like someone who could cause trouble.

He needs a strong manager. We have one. Dalglish; let's be kind; wasn't exactly a disciplinarian. He's from the school where you let the lads look after themselves. That's when players like Carroll end up in Dubai.

I wouldn't spend any money on a striker, I'd focus on the defence. Caroll is a £15M player who I wouldn't spend more than £11M on, I think Liverpool will want more around £15-20M. I think his wage demands will be high.

Berbatov would be much cheaper and a better player.

At Newcastle he was the New Alan Shearer and it went to his head. It went to his head because everyone kept telling him he was the New Alan Shearer. At 21. Of course it went to his head. It would go to anyone's head.

At £15m plus add-ons, we would be mad NOT to take him. He's a significantly better player than he showed in a Liverpool shirt.

So let me get this straight. You're saying it went to his head? :P