Euro 2012: Semi finals

Tegis

Apparently it is a myth that you cannot change the order of penalty takers.

From FIFA "Laws of the game"

* Each team is responsible for selecting the players from those on the field of play at the end of the match and the order in which they will take the kicks.

So no, not a myth for the first 10 pens

According to Dermot Gallagher you do not need to actually submit the list to the referee.

The list is just for the manager to decide the order.

But you can change the order if you want to e.g. Ronaldo could have gone instead of Bruno Alves.

Right. FIFA rules in a "open for debate/misinterpret" shocker

I don't read that as a 'rule of order' as such - to me, it says, as I said, that should the game go to penalties, the teams themselves are responsible for sorting out who is taking one and when. It doesn't suggest to me that once you say Alves is going 4th, you cannot go 'Actually, no, lets have him go 3rd'.

Basically, it's saying the takers and when they take them is on the team to decide as they wish. Not that once decided it's a binding decision.

I don't think it matters all that much in the end. Had Alves walked up first or third or whenever, like he did, and I had the chance, I'd have stuck a lot of money on him missing. You could tell he was not keen on taking it which I think plays a very big role in taking a pen, if you're confident you'll score, you at least put it on target I think. He looked like he was walking to the gallows, with a heavy heart.

Whereas Nani went up with an air that said 'I'm either going to score or kill Casillas with this pen'.

i think its a level of arrogance from ronaldo he wnate dthe limelight if it was winning penalty.

the whole process of taking penalties from portugual was embarassing

but nobody criticizing is Fabregas he let 2 defenders go ahead of him as well. just cause its Ronaldo he is getting this treatment

Agreed. Don't think I've ever been so sure about somebody missing a penalty before.

Young was just as bad, he actually looked like he crapped himself

Agreed. And I called him missing too ;)

Ronnie was asked if he'd like to take the 5th and he said yes. So the option was there for him to take an earlier one. If he had any sense he would have taken an earlier one. It's not hypothetical or hindsight to say that. It's common sense. Everyone knows a shootout doesn't necessarily get 10 penalties taken. You make sure your best get to take one.

Agreed. Don't think I've ever been so sure about somebody missing a penalty before.

I think every villa fan in the country predicted he'd miss!

Ronnie was asked if he'd like to take the 5th and he said yes. So the option was there for him to take an earlier one. If he had any sense he would have taken an earlier one. It's not hypothetical or hindsight to say that. It's common sense. Everyone knows a shootout doesn't necessarily get 10 penalties taken. You make sure your best get to take one.

Yep, it's how I see it. The fact that he's the captain should have given him the initiative to try to make sure his team bury one early in the shootout.

I think every villa fan in the country predicted he'd miss!

Yup I did too!

Â