Euro 2012: Semi finals

Tegis

It is a testament to just how good Spain are that probably only one other side in Europe are going to dare to go toe to toe against them and that will be Germany if they make it to the final. If it's Italy then you can expect more of the same.

To be fair to Italy, I thought they showed a lot of attacking intent against Spain in the group match, which was a good game with chances at both ends.

That said, I wouldn't guarantee that they won't revert to type if they reach the final.

The reason games against Spain are awful now is because everyone is shutting up shop against them. Those games were entertaining while other major nations believed they could win. It used to be just minnows who parked the bus but now sides with the quality and self-belief of France are shutting up shop too. When players of that ability decide to not let you play, they are very good at it and at the very least you are in for a dull watch.

It is a testament to just how good Spain are that probably only one other side in Europe are going to dare to go toe to toe against them and that will be Germany if they make it to the final. If it's Italy then you can expect more of the same.

Too be fair, portugal played a very high pressing game against spain yesterday for a lot of the game.. and Spain struggled in normal time because they weren't getting as much time on the ball as usual... Germany are just going press high and force the spanish to kick it long...

The reason games against Spain are awful now is because everyone is shutting up shop against them. Those games were entertaining while other major nations believed they could win. It used to be just minnows who parked the bus but now sides with the quality and self-belief of France are shutting up shop too. When players of that ability decide to not let you play, they are very good at it and at the very least you are in for a dull watch.

I agree with this.

Everyone is so scared of them that they park the bus.

If the opposing team actually had the balls to attack them then we might see a good game.

the problem with their boringness is Del Bosque. he sets the team up with no strikers. its spain boring the world and not from teams parking the bus

he tried Negredo up front Yesterday and it wasn't working, Fabregas came on to play up top and spain looked a lot better.

Del Bosque certainly isn't helping himself because it looks bad to those looking on. But I think he's being clever and trying to react to teams' approaches to Spain. Think about it. If teams set out to park the bus (and most do) then by playing no strikers he is trying to force them into having a higher line, inviting them to park the bus against the most forward player, in Spain's case a midfielder. In theory potentially leaving more room in behind. If he plays a striker or strikers, you justify the opponent defending deeper which makes them harder to break down. That's how I see his methodology anyway.

Del Bosque certainly isn't helping himself because it looks bad to those looking on. But I think he's being clever and trying to react to teams' approaches to Spain. Think about it. If teams set out to park the bus (and most do) then by playing no strikers he is trying to force them into having a higher line, inviting them to park the bus against the most forward player, in Spain's case a midfielder. In theory potentially leaving more room in behind. If he plays a striker or strikers, you justify the opponent defending deeper which makes them harder to break down. That's how I see his methodology anyway.

Yeah makes sense..

BOF I'd understand that logic however you need width to try and get behind,

No you dont. Spain keep the ball 35-40 yards from goal and try to draw the defence out so the can play a through ball (or a chip over the top) to a midfield runner who is sprinting into the space left by the defenders who have been pulled towards the ball. Spain and Barcelona have scored countless goals like that over the last five years.

In short, the 'false nine' theory, no?

In short, the 'false nine' theory, no?

Snappy title with no explanation, yeah that's the one.

Apparently it is a myth that you cannot change the order of penalty takers.

From FIFA "Laws of the game"

* Each team is responsible for selecting the players from those on the field of play at the end of the match and the order in which they will take the kicks.

So no, not a myth for the first 10 pens

* Each team is responsible for selecting the players from those on the field of play at the end of the match and the order in which they will take the kicks.

I can't claim to be an expert on the ins and outs of the laws of the game, but what you've quoted there doesn't dispell the idea that you cannot change the order - it simply, to me, suggests that the team has to choose it's own penalty takers and order from the available players on the pitch. To me, it says nothing about the team not being able to change their mind.

I actually can't think of much reason why you'd need to submit a list showing the order you picked people either, but that actually makes me think such a rule probably does exist, since FIFA does a lot that doesn't make sense.

According to Dermot Gallagher you do not need to actually submit the list to the referee.

The list is just for the manager to decide the order.

But you can change the order if you want to e.g. Ronaldo could have gone instead of Bruno Alves.

But if you could change the order, why have the "rule of order" in there in the first place?

Yes you could argue the rule is a silly one, but it's there and has to be followed.

Â