Lambert V Laudrup

Craigy1874

Personally, I am very happy with the appointment of Paul Lambert and he was my first choice all along.

However, I am aware a lot of folk on here would have preferred more of a 'sexy' manager, like OGS etc.

Laudrup was obviously available to AVFC and you have to think he would have come seen as he has now joined Swansea.

Just wondering how many fans would have preferred to see Laudrup as our manager rather than Lambert?

After OGS turned us down I was hoping for Laudrup. However, as much as Lambert was less exciting to begin with, I'm steadily coming round to the idea that we may have gotten ourselves a very very good manager!

Lambert was the right choice, Laudrup would have been risky - but i'd have been happy with either.

Laudrup is an unproven manager, and is unproven in england as his is style of football

Lambert has worked in england quite a while, done well with norwich and his style of football works here.

Laudrup may prove to be a great manager he may be a flop - lambert is a solid manager how is capable of at least steadying the ship which is precsicely what we need right now

Laudrup is an unproven manager

in ENgland yes but not unproven in general, doesnt stay long but did good jobs at Getafe and Mallorca and will probably be next Denmark manager

I think its great to see some new blood in the PL, good young managers trying to play good football instead of the re-hashed "experienced" failed managers.

Lambert, Rogers, Laudrup, potentially AVB or Blanc, this will be fun to watch.

I am a huge Laudrup fan as a player, and think he will one day be a good manager, though I don't think he has quite shown it yet and has seemed a bit flighty in recent appointments. That being said, Swansea should be a good fit for him.

Lambert was always my first choice. I'd have taken Laudrup over Solskjaer though.

Lambert for me is a perfect fit for us and I can see us going from strength to strength under him. Still over the moon that after the two previous **** ups Lerner and Faulkner got this appointment spot on.

Laudrup is obviously using Swansea as a jump ship, if he does well he won't stay long there at all. He has done decent at other clubs in similar situations tho.

He certainly isn't a big club manager right now, hence the move to Swansea...Maybe in the future who knows. Right now Swansea is his level.

Lambert was always my first choice. I'd have taken Laudrup over Solskjaer though.

Lambert for me is a perfect fit for us and I can see us going from strength to strength under him. Still over the moon that after the two previous **** ups Lerner and Faulkner got this appointment spot on.

Don't want to nitpick or anything, but what do people mean when they say Lambert "fits" us? Surely we won't know that until he actually gets going?

Certianly favoured Lambert over Laudrup. Many people get carried away with the thought of Laudrup the player rather than actually just basing it on his ability to manage.

If you look at his last two jobs:

Won 4 out of 14 games at Spartak

Won 13 out of 42 games at Mallorca

Yes, he did well before that but hardly says to me he's ready for the Aston Villa job. Swansea is the right fit.

Would've much preferred Laudrup, but I'm not unhappy with Lambert.

Same.

I've long accepted that we're out of the running for top 4 and the like- at least for the forseeable. But whatever manager came in, I felt it was important to at least move in the right direction vis a vis passing, movement off the ball and so on. Set the wheels in motion, as it were. Stoke, B-lose and even ourselves under MON might have had a degree success in getting surprise results and disrupting the flow of better sides with less possession of the ball. But ultimately, the sides who see more of the ball tend to win more games and occupy the higher positions in the league. There is no getting away from that.

So a Laudrup, OGS, Martinez or similar would have been preferable in that regard. I like Lambert, and certainly don't think we'll see some of the heinous anti football that was on display last year. But I get the impression PL will have no problem in lumping it long in the latter stages of a game if we're getting little joy trying to play through sides. I think he'll be quite happy to grind out games with less than spectacular football too, as per MON. It strikes me he'd actually get a kick out of that. Laudrup, Martinez and co don't resort to the hoof if their initial strategy isn't working- they persist until their sides eventually do find an opening.

Most have accepted that next year will be one of those infamous 'seasons of transition,' so if ever there was scope to wear a few bad results as we try to move in the right direction it's now.

It does concern me that Laudrup has only remained at most of his clubs post Brondby for one season though.

Lambert might be a better long term fit from that point of view- and better at laying down the law to some of our pisstakers who need to be taken down a peg or two. If they felt they could coast again as the next manager will most likely only be here for one campaign, that really wouldn't help us at all.

Happy with Lambert but would have preferred Martinez or OGS.

We badly need a change in our playing style from the old British "rush" we have deployed for most of the last decade. I'm not yet convinced Lambert will or can do that.

Lambert is a top young manager and the right fit for where we are as a club. Laudrup, having had no PL experience whatsoever, could very easily have backfired and seen us scrapping for survival again. We just can't afford to be doing that and I don't see it happening under Lambert.

I understand the clamour for the unknown but I would urge people to think with their heads and not some nebulous gut feeling that draws them towards untried foreigners.

Im fairly happy with Lambert but he wasn't top of my list (Bilic was..)

Have to say id rather had Laudrup mainly because of what i know about him and how his teams play.

Me being from Sweden i actually know more about Laudrup than about Lambert who's 1 season in the PL is all i have to go on.

Laudrup have played in some of the best teams in the world and is the best Danish player ever, he's a well known and respected name all over the world and he has a clear idea of how he want's his teams to play. The way Getafe played under him was amazing for such a small "unknown" side.

My question with Lambert is what calibre players he'll be able to attract, with Laudrup i'd been confident he'd get it right.

Im sure Lambert learned a lot during his first and only PL-season, but he's not what you'd call a veteran manager. I rate Laudrups experience from Spain, Russia and Denmark higher than Lamberts 1 year in top flight football. The PL is not that impossible to grasp for foreigners as some wan't to make out.

With that said im happy enough with Lambert, i just hope he doesn't try to build an entire team based on young brittish players as that will in my opinion fail

We badly need a change in our playing style from the old British "rush" we have deployed for most of the last decade. I'm not yet convinced Lambert will or can do that.
Agreed. Still not sure whether he will change this. He's talked of playing football "the right way" but does that just mean we'll attack more?

I loved the idea of Olly and the idea of Laudrup appealed more than Lambert

BUT

The more I think about it I think we have got exactly what we need right now in Lambert.

Laudrup is going into a situation where he just needs to continue what Swansea are doing and build upon it.

Villa need a rebuilding and basically ripped apart and this is where hopefully Lambert comes in.

Â