Euro 2012: Group D (Eng, Fra, Ukr, Swe)

TrentVilla

• Replies 853
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is impressive stuff from England. They've taken care of business in the group and haven't used up all of their good performances. They're easing themselves into the tournament, building up momentum and now have their best player back up front. They're doing it like the 'big boys' usually do. They need to step it up another level now for the knockouts but they know that. There's no easy games from here on (unless Greece keep jammying their way through as usual :P)

Weird that a lot of pundits are saying England were lucky that goal wasn't awarded... apparently being offside no longer exists.

Yeah let's all forget which country has been campaigning for goal line technology for the last 2 years too

I can see platini coming out smug as **** and saying something like "I bet ze don't want it zis much now"

I think to a man we'd all step in that time machine and take 2-2 on the board as well as 1-1 tonight which would have seen us through anyway, still topping the group.

Anyway, we need to step it up a gear. Wellbeck was dreadful and with the Italian defence being somewhat suspect in the air, there's only one thing for it. Knock on wood it works again.

Come on you lions....

agree....RH has been tactically spot on to top a group i thought we wouldnt get out of. If he plays AC then I think we have a chance. of course, TW and OX have to be brought on timely if needed, but i feel we have to give this team respect for topping the group. gaff on roy, gaff on.

I remember posting in this thread the other day saying that I could see France struggling against Sweden.

The England performance wasn't pretty but they got the job done, finished top of the group and have avoided Spain. Can't complain about that! What I can complain about is Ashley Young. He's played shit in every game so far. He needs to sort himself out for Sunday!

I said before that I think England will scrape through against Italy. 1-0 or 2-1. Roy Hodgson can do no wrong really. The team pretty much picks itself apart from possibly one of the wide positions but when playing 4 in midfield I can definitely understand why he plays Milner. If we beat Italy then he's already done better than many previous managers and with a worse squad than previous squads too! Win win situation for Hodgson whatever happens now.

The team pretty much picks itself apart from possibly one of the wide positions but when playing 4 in midfield I can definitely understand why he plays Milner.

And the strikers, surely? Rooney will almost certainly start against Italy, but who with? Carroll or Wellbeck? And did we look a better team with Carroll and Wellbeck playing together even if neither player is as individually as good as Wayne Rooney?

Same team that started tonight should start against Italy. The pace and work rate of Welbeck will worry Italy more than long balls and crosses towards Carroll. They''d just stick Chiellini on him all game and I'd back him to win more aerial balls than Carroll to be honest. Welbeck running at him is a totally different story though! If things aren't going well then bring Carroll on.

Sweden!

Well done again Roy. So glad he got the job instead of the favourite. Not a vintage performance by any means but we top the group and avoid Spain. Enjoying this tournament. :D

Same team that started tonight should start against Italy. The pace and work rate of Welbeck will worry Italy more than long balls and crosses towards Carroll. They''d just stick Chiellini on him all game and I'd back him to win more aerial balls than Carroll to be honest. Welbeck running at him is a totally different story though! If things aren't going well then bring Carroll on.

Chiellini may be out.

Can understand if he starts Carroll along with Rooney, or Welbeck along with Carroll, or Welbeck along with Rooney. What I can't understand however is his insistence on playing Milner. Why?

Because he works his socks off and will always track back. If the opposition are attacking down the left Milner will do a great job of tracking back. Ashley Young & Rooney can then push on a litttle higher up the pitch and be ready for a counter. If it's Ashley Young tracking back down the oppositions right, Rooney/Gerrard will have to double up as Young isn't as good defensively, and therefor it takes players out of the game in an attacking sense.

When you're trying to contain a game and play on the counter, Milner is a very good player to have on the pitch. Walcott is probably better as an impact player to bring on when the opposition go more attacking once they've been contained for 60-70minutes.

That's my opinion anyway.

Well played England tonight, weren't pretty but did the job.

Milner and Young keep being played because they offer much more protection to the fullbacks than any of the other wide men. Playing Downing, Walcott or Chamberlain constantly could mean not having them fully switched on for defence whereas both JM and AY will track back and work hard. They aren't particularly there to be great creators, it obviously helps hence why Jimmy has come off after 70mins last two games to try and get something different in the last 20 minutes.

Think exactly the same will happen vs Italy, grind out a result for 70 minutes or so with Milner and Young then bring off Jimmy for Walcott/Chamberlain to try and grab a winner.

Well the Ukraine boys nearly knocked us out.

How? We won 1-0 and could have gone through with a draw!

Unless you was being sarcastic, in which case, my bad :winkold:

Beatles reference, innit?

What I can't understand however is his insistence on playing Milner. Why?

I don't think you can play Walcott as a wide midfielder in a 4-4-2 when you consider that he is really a striker.

You can put him in a 4-3-3 as a wide forward though.

Milner for the first hour and then Walcott off the bench is a good combination imo.

Â