No Longer Interested: (Ole Gunnar Solskjaer - Molde FK)

VillaGoMarching

I've got a feeling we decided not to offer him the job and the way they've announced it was to save face for all parties. Villa don't look like they've gone against the wishes of the fans and OGS can go to Rokke and say he turned us down and that he is 100% committed to Molde. I'm not usually one for conspiracy theories but it would make sense to me.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cant stand all this interview bollocks, decide who you want and get him.

This is the 3rd appointment in the row that is fast turning farcical, I never remember Doug doing interviews.

Agree. It makes things very hard when trying to approach candidate 2/3/4 - doesn't say much to them.

Exactly, 'yes great interview Ole, but we got steve mclaren coming in tomorrow so we'll let you know'

And the problem is, it turns the whole situation into a circus. If they want to keep things quiet, have a meeting with board, discuss, bring in advice, headhunt candidate, you find out he is free to chat, chat, offer, done.

Instead we have

See candidate one, ask him to wait, see candidate two ask him to wait, see candidate three, ask him to wait. Receive applications, go through them.

Meanwhile, some candidates have jobs still, do they sit around potfuckingholing whilst interviews are held, put on hold, another candidate..

and so on.

Defies belief, in a fast moving world such as football, we would drag our feet.

I've got a feeling we decided not to offer him the job and the way they've announced it was to save face for all parties. Villa don't look like they've gone against the wishes of the fans and OGS can go to Rokke and say he turned us down and that he is 100% committed to Molde. I'm not usually one for conspiracy theories but it would make sense to me.
But they do look like they've gone against the wishes of the fans though.

Clearly we've turned OGS down, which is pretty **** annoying if you ask me. Then again I'm not surprised when I remember that this is the same board that appointed Alex **** McLeish.

This is my belief.

I think OGS has done this to save face and improve his standing with a) his board and B) the fans.

Only ones who lose, again. Are the Aston Villa fans. Nothing new..

Thing is, that must mean we have our man already?

Or OGS was never one of the main choices but our board are so obsessed with talking to everybody, we made it into more than what it was.

Anyone else think Molde tried to try it on with the compensation with Villa. What with the quotes about how much certain investors have put into the club. Randy has just turned around and said thanks but no thanks??!

But they do look like they've gone against the wishes of the fans though.

Not if its explained away by him turning us down so he doesn't uproot his family. Maybe some people will question it, but most will take it at face value.

It's all just too wierd.

After putting us through the joys of last season you'd think the club would go for a popular choice this time. This has killed one of the most important things about being a supporter of a football club: excitement. Everything flows from offering excitement: Ticket sales, results, revenue.

Then again, maybe his family really did just say "Please dad no".

What with the quotes about how much certain investors have put into the club.

it sounds impressive in NOK but wasn't it only around £1m .. if we paid £2m (or more) for AM i'm sure we could give £1m to cover Moldes losses

I cant stand all this interview bollocks, decide who you want and get him.

This is the 3rd appointment in the row that is fast turning farcical, I never remember Doug doing interviews.

Agree. It makes things very hard when trying to approach candidate 2/3/4 - doesn't say much to them.

Exactly, 'yes great interview Ole, but we got steve mclaren coming in tomorrow so we'll let you know'

And the problem is, it turns the whole situation into a circus. If they want to keep things quiet, have a meeting with board, discuss, bring in advice, headhunt candidate, you find out he is free to chat, chat, offer, done.

Instead we have

See candidate one, ask him to wait, see candidate two ask him to wait, see candidate three, ask him to wait. Receive applications, go through them.

Meanwhile, some candidates have jobs still, do they sit around potfuckingholing whilst interviews are held, put on hold, another candidate..

and so on.

Defies belief, in a fast moving world such as football, we would drag our feet.

Totally agree with this ^^^

You can tell our management recruitment process is straight out of the "how to recruit a new accountant" rule book.. This is how you recruit employees in an office environment not the flipping cut throat back stabbing world of the Premiership surely to goodness?

Its a bit like letting all the cats out of the bag at the same time & then wondering why they all run away & hide.

I'm not giving it the old I told you so...

It's just sad people can't accept that he's decided the stay after speaking with the owner and his family. Have you seen where he lives FFS? He won't be resigning from anywhere. Take it at face value because it's the truth.

Stop looking for desperate justification to hide your disappointment.

It's just a bit strange that this is coming from just one norwegian source (TV2) and it seems everyone is just jumping on that quote without asking important questions, like who the hell is this Doogan fellow and why is he speaking to TV2 and no one else.

He'll have briefed the English journos too, don't forget they broke the story. It's just for whatever reason they chose not to mention him by name.

If was published first on TV2 as far as I know (by 2 minutes according to the relative articles, hehe).

Anyone else think Molde tried to try it on with the compensation with Villa. What with the quotes about how much certain investors have put into the club. Randy has just turned around and said thanks but no thanks??!

That's seems as plausible as anything.

For me it's either that or someone else has got the job. I don't believe he rejected it given what has been said and the lack of quotes from him is weird.

Probably Lambert but hopefully someone good out of the blue. Just trying to be positive!

I remember reading somewhere that Doug once had a clandestine meeting with Brian Clough to talk about the Villa job over a ploughman's in a Lichfield pub! In those pre Interweb/Twitter/Sky Sports New days of course the secrecy/subterfuge game was a bit easier...

To those complaining that doug didnt do it like this...

we didnt have internet forums back in the day.

you might discuss it with your mates but you didnt have hundreds of people all deciding they knew best who should be manager.

doug went out and got who he wanted, but it didnt turn out well for most of them

Clearly we've turned OGS down, which is pretty **** annoying if you ask me. Then again I'm not surprised when I remember that this is the same board that appointed Alex **** McLeish.

Chill out.

Some fans are so fickle, it is a joke. When It was looking like we were going to get OGS, Lerner was our saviour again & all was forgiven for the appointment of AMc. Now, 'Ole has turned us down' which is hearsay; it is back to criticising the board. I understand people's frustrations, but just hold fire until we see who our new manager is. If it is Simon Grayson, feel free to vent your frustrations towards our board. But just calm down.

From what I understand, he wasn't offered the job. The family reasons seems a little suspect to me, which consequently will no doubt be just a cover up so that everyone involved can put this whole debacle behind them without losing face. Villa couldn't have envisaged what was going to transpire with Rokke and all involved. Maybe Lerner actually believed the private jet would go under the radar....Ole certainly did. He was very open to talks and everyone knew the situation before he got on board that plane. And due to the media frenzy, maybe Molde weren't prepared for that. Who knows.

We can all speculate on what may have happened, but at the end of the day....What's done is done. Now let's move on.

I'm starting to get frustrated with the Villa board and the cards close to their chest approach. As a result, the fans don't know anything and start creating these elaborate situations and it damages the relationship. It's like they say 'take our word for it' and it immediately raises suspicion, whether it's correct or not.

I agree with the method initially, but after the info leaked i wish we had a bit of transparency, because it looks like a little bit of a circus. Maybe behind the scenes it is still actually very calm and they're just going through their motions, but **** me do i just want 2+2 to equal 4 once in a while.

I remember reading somewhere that Doug once had a clandestine meeting with Brian Clough to talk about the Villa job over a ploughman's in a Lichfield pub!

He had more than one such meeting deck but decided against appointing him on each occasion. :cry: