The last page on Alex McLeish

NurembergVillan

But I think it's certain he is a nice guy, no question.
Why? What has he done to justify this tag?

What does he have to do other than conduct himself in a gentlemanly manner.

Look, Its going to look like I'm defending him, but I'm defending the man not the manager.

I think Briny said " he was out of his depth, I think he may be right"

doesn't make him a bad person.

I know someone who has met him and I would value their view....they say " nice guy" but don't get confused with "good manager".

I never said he was a bad person, I'm just asking what he's done to get the nice guy tag. Certain managers in the game have these tags. Ferguson for example is almost universally known as a bit of a prick. McLeish for some held reaosn is almost universally known as a nice man, despite not really doing anything (or in the case of Villa, doing more to prove the opposite).

I'm not confusing "nice guy" with "good manager". I've never once accused anybody calling him a nice guy of defending him as a manager. I don't know why people always bring this up when I question what McLeish has done to earn the nice guy tag. Do you think I don't know the difference between saying someone is a nice guy and saying someone is a good manager?

I just don't understand how lying, putting the club down and constantly blaming others for your own failure makes you a nice guy. McLeish has done many of the things Houllier did, yet while the latter is thought of as a prick the former is thought of as a nice guy. Why?

He really didn't act in a gentlemanly way either. Surely if he was such a gentleman he would've taken responsibility for his own failures once in a while?

But I think it's certain he is a nice guy, no question.
Why? What has he done to justify this tag?

What does he have to do other than conduct himself in a gentlemanly manner.

Look, Its going to look like I'm defending him, but I'm defending the man not the manager.

I think Briny said " he was out of his depth, I think he may be right"

doesn't make him a bad person.

I know someone who has met him and I would value their view....they say " nice guy" but don't get confused with "good manager".

I never said he was a bad person, I'm just asking what he's done to get the nice guy tag. Certain managers in the game have these tags. Ferguson for example is almost universally known as a bit of a prick. 'he who shall not be named' for some held reaosn is almost universally known as a nice man, despite not really doing anything (or in the case of Villa, doing more to prove the opposite).

I'm not confusing "nice guy" with "good manager". I've never once accused anybody calling him a nice guy of defending him as a manager. I don't know why people always bring this up when I question what 'he who shall not be named' has done to earn the nice guy tag. Do you think I don't know the difference between saying someone is a nice guy and saying someone is a good manager?

I just don't understand how lying, putting the club down and constantly blaming others for your own failure makes you a nice guy. 'he who shall not be named' has done many of the things Houllier did, yet while the latter is thought of as a prick the former is thought of as a nice guy. Why?

He really didn't act in a gentlemanly way either. Surely if he was such a gentleman he would've taken responsibility for his own failures once in a while?

Its all about opinions.

He probably felt it wasn't his fault.......we all do. difference of opinion.

going back to where he got this nice guy tag from ...lots of folk who have been in contact with him say the same thing " nice fella"

lets look forward to Lambert..... just being a "bloody good manager"

PS What you allude to (I think )is who cares whether he is nice or not... but then that begs the question " why not leave him alone he had his punishment and gone"

To be fair to him he will go down as another manger who kept us in the premiership which is now part of our history. We are one of the longest serving clubs to play in this league and he has indeed contributed to that. But my god the football was dire. The worst I have ever seen.

Kept us in the prem for one more season... That's all he did do, thank god.

I sure wish I could be punished by being given a few million for doing a bad job!

I wonder: if Lambert came in and acted in the same manner as McLeish did here (lying, always making excuses and passing the blame onto others) would he be known as a "nice, genuine, decent guy"? Probably not. The "Alex McLeish the nice guy" is just a myth perpetuated by the media.

To be fair to him he will go down as another manger who kept us in the premiership which is now part of our history. We are one of the longest serving clubs to play in this league and he has indeed contributed to that. By my god the football was dire. The worst I have ever seen.

Kept us in the prem for one more season... That's all he did do, thank god.

You make it sound like he had a positive impact on our history. We should be aiming to do more than just stay up.

Hopefully Lambert can raise these rock bottom expectations that McLeish seems to have installed.

I am now concentrating on the future, with our brilliant new manager. As far as I am concerned, our previous manager is like the ex who won't put out and is best forgotten. Lambert is the juicy little slut who'll deal with your needs in every single way, so lets all look to the future.

Lambert by early accounts is not a nice guy. Whether you're nice or not has nothing to do with your abilities as a manager.

Incidentally, I doubt whether M c L e i s h will ever get a serious managerial job again so he has been punished in a way even though he is clearly much richer as a result of his sorry time with Villa.

Lambert by early accounts is not a nice guy. Whether you're nice or not has nothing to do with your abilities as a manager.

Incidentally, I doubt whether M c L e i s h will ever get a serious managerial job again so he has been punished in a way even though he is clearly much richer as a result of his sorry time with Villa.

And now I'm going to ask this: why has Lambert got this "not a nice guy" tag?

There's nobody here who thinks managerial ability is connected to whether or not you're nice. I don't know why people keep bringing this up.

I think there's a difference between not being a "nice guy" and not taking shit from anyone. Lambert falls into the latter of the two.

McLeish tried to be tough with the players but seemed to lack any subtlety whatsoever. Towards the end of his reign, when we were desperate for points, he publically criticised and blamed them for the performances and results and tried to shift blame away from himself. Quite cowardly in my opinion. Lambert is the kind of manager that bollocks the players in private, where necessary, and will more than likely get a positive response as a result.

I think there's a difference between not being a "nice guy" and not taking shit from anyone. Lambert falls into the latter of the two.

'he who shall not be named' tried to be tough with the players but seemed to lack any subtlety whatsoever. Towards the end of his reign, when we were desperate for points, he publically criticised and blamed them for the performances and results and tried to shift blame away from himself. Quite cowardly in my opinion. Lambert is the kind of manager that bollocks the players in private, where necessary, and will more than likely get a positive response as a result.

Exactly. Just because Lambert won't take any shit doesn't mean he's not a nice guy. Equally, just because McLeish is friendly with the media doesn't make him a nice guy.

The weird thing is, "the other guy" came with a bit of a tough Glaswegian no nonsense reputation

Yet he seemed too nice with the players and he allowed them to take the piss

I really worry about the mentality of our squad

They don't seem to give a flying **** and the new guys biggest task is sorting this out

The weird thing is, "the other guy" came with a bit of a tough Glaswegian no nonsense reputation

Yet he seemed too nice with the players and he allowed them to take the piss

I really worry about the mentality of our squad

They don't seem to give a flying **** and the new guys biggest task is sorting this out

I think the difference between McLeish and Lambert is that while McLeish's "no-nonsense" reputation is clearly just a media construct Lambert's is genuine.

If Lambert & his team have done their homework, they will know who needs to go as a priority

The kids will have to step up to the plate too now

They've had it easy for 2-3 years but that's over now

Â