The last page on Alex McLeish

NurembergVillan

Time to lock the thread,the guy is history-time to look forward
Some of us still have anger towards him that needs releasing. :)

pity you could't pour some of the vitriol on the man that spunked the best part of 100 mill up the wall....and someone else had to repair some of it by selling 57 mill of his better signings to redeem things.

What? I'm always ranting about MON. :? I hate him almost as much as 'he who shall not be named'.

Really? **** me mate catch what you're saying there. THINK about what you're saying.

Christ. Good luck lambs.

pity you could't pour some of the vitriol on the man that spunked the best part of 100 mill up the wall....and someone else had to repair some of it by selling 57 mill of his better signings to redeem things.

What? I'm always ranting about MON. :? I hate him almost as much as 'he who shall not be named'.

Really? **** me mate catch what you're saying there. THINK about what you're saying.

Christ. Good luck lambs.

Eh?

tbf Mcleish was left with a poor team. I was a big fan of Houllier and was gutted when he had to go but he had Ashley Young who pretty much made every goal we got for about three seasons. Bent and Petrov were obviously big losses too. The only time we looked half-decent under Mcleish was when Robbie Keane was here. We played some ok stuff then. So this would suggest with the players Mcleish may have made a better fist of it.

He was a nice guy and always came across well and personable in his interviews. This was the main reason he was given so much time by the fans before they eventually turned.

However he should of course never have been appointed. Ex-Birmingham manager who had just got them relegated LOL piss-take or what? And this is even before we take into account his shall we call 'safe' style of football which fans of big clubs like us would obviously frown upon.

But if Sir Alex Ferguson had the Dog and Duck XI in the Premiership he would get relegated. It's worth remembering it's not all about the manager, but it's very much the players as well. Celtic/Rangers always win the league regardless of what shyte managers they employ.....because they have the players.

McLeish had to deal with the sales of Young and Downing, injuries to key players, the captain leaving to battle serious illness, a mandate to cut wages, and a suspicious set of fans. Most managers would have struggled in those circumstances, and no wonder no one seemed to want to manage us this time last year. Did Lerner/Faulkner hire him to deflect blame from them? You wonder.

He managed to avoid getting us relegated.

And he is clearly a decent bloke.

THat's the best I can do :)

With him as manager we were in free fall, playing some of the worst football in living memory, heading to the Championship and beyond.

'he who shall not be named' had to deal with the sales of Young and Downing, injuries to key players, the captain leaving to battle serious illness, a mandate to cut wages, and a suspicious set of fans. Most managers would have struggled in those circumstances, and no wonder no one seemed to want to manage us this time last year. Did Lerner/Faulkner hire him to deflect blame from them? You wonder.

And he is clearly a decent bloke.

THat's the best I can do :)

With him as manager we were in free fall, playing some of the worst football in living memory, heading to the Championship and beyond.

I think I agree with everything you say there he's a hopeless manager and was a ludicrous appointment but by all accounts he is a decent bloke and to be fair the combination of things you say at the beginning didn't help him.

That said going to Villa games under him became a chore not an enjoyment - it was soul destroying.

The best quote I saw about him was by Mark 'Lawro' Lawrenson towards the end of the season, something along the lines of 'if Mcleish wasn't so negative Villa would have ten more points'

tbf 'he who shall not be named' was left with a poor team. I was a big fan of Houllier and was gutted when he had to go but he had Ashley Young who pretty much made every goal we got for about three seasons. Bent and Petrov were obviously big losses too. The only time we looked half-decent under 'he who shall not be named' was when Robbie Keane was here. We played some ok stuff then. So this would suggest with the players 'he who shall not be named' may have made a better fist of it.

He was a nice guy and always came across well and personable in his interviews. This was the main reason he was given so much time by the fans before they eventually turned.

However he should of course never have been appointed. Ex-Birmingham manager who had just got them relegated LOL piss-take or what? And this is even before we take into account his shall we call 'safe' style of football which fans of big clubs like us would obviously frown upon.

But if Sir Alex Ferguson had the Dog and Duck XI in the Premiership he would get relegated. It's worth remembering it's not all about the manager, but it's very much the players as well. Celtic/Rangers always win the league regardless of what shyte managers they employ.....because they have the players.

If I recall correctly, Marc Albrighton got more goals and assists than Ashley Young in his final season with about a quarter of the appearances. I don't think Young was as empathetic as you think.

Bent was shocking prior to his injury... not because he wasn't trying, simply because the tactics didn't work for him... our best player... great managers play to our strengths, not our weaknesses.

Our biggest loss IMO was Downing based on the previous season... he was fantastic and 100 times better than Young. He got replaced with N'Zogbia, and Zoggy then gets mis-managed. He's temperamental... you have to keep him sweet to get the best out of him, yet Mc :puke: did exactly the opposite within weeks.

Finally, your comment about Celtic and Rangers finishing at the top every season. This is true, unless you have Mc :puke: in charge, in which case there is a chance you will finish 3rd, for this is exactly what he managed to do with Rangers. No one thought it was possible, but he achieved it by getting his players to massively under perform... again.

Keane was a great bit of business, and the few games he was here was probably enough to keep up in the league. Possibly the only smart thing the wally did in his time here.

Christ. Good luck lambs.

Eh?

Sorry mate, few too many jars. I just can't comprehend anyone hating O'Neill, a man who took us to Wembley, bought us some fantastic memories and some wonderful players, as much as the butcher. Sure there were faults, many of them. But in retrospect they, he, we, were chasing the dream.

The ONLY decent thing McLeish did was fall on his sword....

No, wait....

FFS why does McLeish have this "decent" and "nice" tag? WHAT DID HE DO TO DESERVE IT!? WHAT!? All he ever did in post-match interviews was make up excuses for his own failures, take digs at the fans, put the club down and make deluded comments.

It's just ridiculous. Houllier, O'Neill and DOL are all seen as pricks by many of our fans (fair enough), yet McLeish who proved himself to be just as much of a word removed as those three (if not more so) is seen as "a nice decent bloke".

Christ. Good luck lambs.

Eh?

Sorry mate, few too many jars. I just can't comprehend anyone hating O'Neill, a man who took us to Wembley, bought us some fantastic memories and some wonderful players, as much as the butcher. Sure there were faults, many of them. But in retrospect they, he, we, were chasing the dream.

The ONLY decent thing 'he who shall not be named' did was fall on his sword....

No, wait....

He did well with us (although what he did wasn't anything special when you consider the job some of his predecessors did) but what also must be remembered is how much money Randy spent.

If O'Neill had left say at the beginning of pre-season in 2010 as opposed to the end of it then I probably wouldn't hate him. However, the way in which he left us in the lurch will always leave a horrible taste in my mouth.

Christ, I think this thread should be locked for Mantis' own safety before his head explodes the next time someone claims McLeish was a "nice guy".

All the journalists who knew him seem to back up the story that he was a nice fella. Yes he was shit for us, yes he seemed to refuse to take responsibility for us being so terrible, yes he said some really stupid and negative things about the players and bigged up other teams before we'd even played them, and yes he came across as a smug shit after the Fulham game. Some people think he's nice, others don't. Differing opinions my friend, it's what makes the world go round.

Don't get so upset by them and just be excited about what the future holds for us.

I thank god 'he who shall not be named' was as shit as he was. If he wasn't quite as shit he may still be here

...because then he'd have a shit-ton of cash to spend this summer, that's your thinking right? Okay, giving Mcleish a large transfer kitty is the stuff of nightmares.

Despite the fact that the evidence against him as manager is pretty conclusive can't we just be happy the chapter has closed and the new chapter looks very bright, without villifying the guy to death.

its time for celebration to reign over depression.

He did his damndest to take us down! - it was really only the woeful performance of 4 other sides that kept us safe. If we'd got 38 points in the 2010-11 season we would have been relegated no sweat.

He was a manager out of his depth.

But I think it's certain he is a nice guy, no question.

But I think it's certain he is a nice guy, no question.
Why? What has he done to justify this tag?

What does he have to do other than conduct himself in a gentlemanly manner.

Look, Its going to look like I'm defending him, but I'm defending the man not the manager.

I think Briny said " he was out of his depth, I think he may be right"

doesn't make him a bad person.

I know someone who has met him and I would value their view....they say " nice guy" but don't get confused with "good manager".

Â