Time to unite behind the club?

MikeMcKenna

Obviously the last two seasons have been terrible with the last being torture for the fans. Randy Lerner's words in sacking AM suggest at long last that he understands the feelings of the fans and the need to to get our club moving forward again.

Villa chairman Randy Lerner said: "We need to be clear and candid with ourselves and with supporters about what we have lacked in recent years.

"Compelling play and results that instil a sense of confidence that Villa is on the right track have been plainly absent.

"The most immediate action that we can take is to look carefully at our options in terms of bringing in a new manager who sees the club's potential and embraces our collective expectations."

While I accept that many of us will remain somewhat sceptical till we see who the new manager is and whether he will be supported by the board, I feel it is now time for the fans to back the club by where possible buying or renewing ST's.

The club in return need to understand that the fans loyalty cannot be taken for granted and that they must repair the relationship and deliver our "collective expectations". In contrast to the heady days when Randy Lerner took over the club, during the last two seasons the club's PR has been appalling. They need to urgently consider how they can improve communications with the fans, recognise that ultimately we are the club and give us a vision for the future.

When McLeish was appointed we said the board were wrong and we were right! It wasnt about where he was from it was about where he had taken us.

That said in my humble opinion we now need to draw a line in the sand and get behind the club.

Randy's done the easy bit by sacking McLeish, now let's see if he can get the hard bit right. He needs to be bullish about getting the right manager for Villa. No more Mister nice guy when it comes to dealing with other chairman for his number one target (whoever that may be.)

Randy has some work to do before he deserves our unqualified support again. It's up to RL/PF to earn the united backing of fans who were totally disregarded as we were plunged into the nightmare that was last season.

For me it is now a case of wait and see Mike. Actions speak louder than words or as BFR said dont tell me show me.

The actions of the last 2 or 3 years have been pretty poor. It will take a lot to make that better.

Like Richard I think the smart move is wait. This is certain a step in the right direction (though you could also argue that it was an obscenely simple decision to make and also arguably shouldn't have been one we needed to make in the first place), but you have to acknowledge that the last... 2 years at least, have just not been good enough. Too many mistakes, too many missteps.

The right man, backed smartly this summer... and maybe we can start singing Lerner's praises again. Until then, more to prove.

Like Richard I think the smart move is wait. This is certain a step in the right direction (though you could also argue that it was an obscenely simple decision to make and also arguably shouldn't have been one we needed to make in the first place), but you have to acknowledge that the last... 2 years at least, have just not been good enough. Too many mistakes, too many missteps.

The right man, backed smartly this summer... and maybe we can start singing Lerner's praises again. Until then, more to prove.

This.

Part 1 complete. Part 2 pending.

I will renew my season tickets if I am convinced that Lerner has learnt his lesson and does not go out and appoint another useless prick like McLeish.

No point in running out like school children just because the bell has gone for playtime. Before spending any more hard earned cash let's see if the playground is likely to be enjoyable.

Of the all the names mentioned the only 2 i couldn't support would be Mick McCarthy or Kevin Mcdonald - that may sound a bit harsh on KMAC - but to me it would be the easy cheap appointment.

I have a preference for lambert - Martinez would be my least favoured choice. - Its very important to get it right - we can't be calling for the managers head 3 years on the trott !

The club needs to take some learned counsel from decent villa men like Graham Taylor,Ron Atkinson,Ron Saunders or Steve Stride and tap into their vast knowledge and experience .I am sure these gentlemen would be more than willing to assist if asked and then hopefully the club can avoid making the same mistake for a third time!

The club needs to take some learned counsel from decent villa men like Graham Taylor,Ron Atkinson,Ron Saunders or Steve Stride and tap into their vast knowledge and experience .I am sure these gentlemen would be more than willing to assist if asked and then hopefully the club can avoid making the same mistake for a third time!

I was quite surprised to hear Ron Atkinson tonight saying he though Mcleish had not been given the tools to do the job. I really expected better from big ron - just for the record, whilst AM didn't have mega amounts - outside of liverpool , and the big 4 , his funds were comparable.

We'll back the club when they earn back the confidence they lost when AM was appointed. To do this they need to bring in a man who'll excite the fans imaginations like BFR and MON did. The season ticket sales depend on the clubs next move, not its last one.

Until we can get rid of our utterly incompetent owner and bring in some new drive at that level we'll never amount to anything in the coming seasons.

Lerner despite all the promise has been catastrophic for this club.

Â