Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

Doug, please " tons of natural ability" where, when? I've never seen this. This really is stretching it a little too far imo.

Mostly physical. Had.

But what is that supposed to mean, tons of natural physical ability? I prefer to watch players in my team with natural technical ability, something he is shockingly low on. and no he didn't start to recapture his so called previous good form before picking up an injury last season. He had 2-3 half decent games that's all. Why is it Gabby fans seem to want to latch on to any modicum of form to laud him up as some form of returning saviour? If this guy wasn't a brummie who followed the club he would have been hounded out years ago. 

• Like 2

If this guy wasn't a brummie who followed the club he would have been hounded out years ago. 

Dave, do you genuinely believe this is true?

Yes i do, when i think of players over the years who never stopped trying for the cause such as Ian Ormondroyd, David Geddes and to a lesser extent Ian Olny the amount of abuse they suffered was horrendous but this never stopped them running themselves into the ground for the team , and yet Gabby gets away with it week in week out.

• Like 1

If this guy wasn't a brummie who followed the club he would have been hounded out years ago. 

Yes i do, when i think of players over the years who never stopped trying for the cause such as Ian Ormondroyd, David Geddes and to a lesser extent Ian Olny the amount of abuse they suffered was horrendous but this never stopped them running themselves into the ground for the team , and yet Gabby gets away with it week in week out.

Ah, that's clearer, I thought you meant hounded out by the club rather than supporters. 

For me Gabby has done nothing to merit abuse - he's open to criticism, but I think that should be in the form of moans and groans where necessary, I hate to see fans attempt to ruin one of their own players. I'd also argue that Gabby's workrate isn't a problem, but I'm pretty sure you disagree. 

• Like 1

Hounded out might be a bit strong but I certainly think that it has prolonged what has been a pretty average career.

I've never really detected any sort of influence on Gabby's support (or not) for the club in people's opinions of him - I think his history affects opinion for fans sometimes (players that have scored against the heath and all that) but I don't think anybody really gives a fig about whether he's a fan or 'one of us' - I don't think it has the tiniest little effect on his actual career and I certainly don't think anyone involved in the multi-million pound business of trying to win and keep their job gives a flying one.

Ah, that's clearer, I thought you meant hounded out by the club rather than supporters.

For me Gabby has done nothing to merit abuse - he's open to criticism, but I think that should be in the form of moans and groans where necessary, I hate to see fans attempt to ruin one of their own players. I'd also argue that Gabby's workrate isn't a problem, but I'm pretty sure you disagree.

Well no not really I don't really have much of an issue in that respect and one thing I always say in his defence is that he is one of the fairest players around and neither does he complain much when he is fouled, for most parts he just gets up and gets on with it, and for this I genuinely give him credit.
  • Like 1

I think these things can influence decisions within clubs, with long serving players there is a certain continuity that clubs like to keep through change (and we've had our fair share of that)

Take the last few years for instance, without checking up I can't imagine he's scored much more than 20 goals in the last 4yrs or so and he goes months on end when he looks disinterested (I appreciate that's a matter of opinion). Given this, do you really think he was deserving of a new 4yr contract recently or indeed the title of club captain? I don't, so is it not fair to think that his status as long serving local lad played a part in these things?.

It will be interesting to see how he is remembered in 20yrs time. His record alone will put him among the greats but some how I doubt he will be remembered as such.

Doug, please " tons of natural ability" where, when? I've never seen this. This really is stretching it a little too far imo.

Mostly physical. Had.

But what is that supposed to mean, tons of natural physical ability? I prefer to watch players in my team with natural technical ability, something he is shockingly low on. and no he didn't start to recapture his so called previous good form before picking up an injury last season. He had 2-3 half decent games that's all. Why is it Gabby fans seem to want to latch on to any modicum of form to laud him up as some form of returning saviour? If this guy wasn't a brummie who followed the club he would have been hounded out years ago.

I didn't mention technical ability. All I did was state my opinion about his natural physical ability. You may not like it, but it is part of the game, running, jumping, using strength. He's good at those things, very, very good.

If "2-3 games (more like 5-6) is not the definition of "STARTING to recapture" then I don't know what is. We fundamentally disagree on the level of performance though clearly, we had that argument at the time so no point reiterating it.

The rest of your post is just tosh. I'm an Aston Villa fan with an opinion on one of its players, whatever works for the club.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 1

I don't think anybody really gives a fig about whether he's a fan

Well I might be the only one, but I care.

Somewhere in football there should be an idea that the local club means something to the local area (one of the reasons Liverpool are so successful imo is that they make a big thing about this, albeit in a bullshit way). That's one of the reasons I support Aston Villa when it would be a million times easier to choose a club like Chelsea to support. I know, I'm a fool.

• Like 3

It was 7 years ago almost to the day (Aug 17th) when he scored the striker's hat trick(left-foot, right-foot, header) against Man City. What a player you thought. Only managed 8 more for the season(goal numbers include all comps). Had has best season after that with 16 goals. 

Then the last 5 seasons read:

5, 6, 12, 4, 6

You can say what you like about managers, injuries etc but those numbers are are just not good enough. 6.6 goals/season in all comps the last 5 from one of your main strikers. 

It's his general attitude for the last few seasons, the way he carries himself like it's just a job and he's going through the motions. I went off him seasons ago and the odd game where he turns up and wins a game has worn off. It's like battered wife syndrome. 

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 1

Mostly physical. Had.

I didn't mention technical ability. All I did was state my opinion about his natural physical ability. You may not like it, but it is part of the game, running, jumping, using strength. He's good at those things, very, very good.

If "2-3 games (more like 5-6) is not the definition of "STARTING to recapture" then I don't know what is. We fundamentally disagree on the level of performance though clearly, we had that argument at the time so no point reiterating it.

The rest of your post is just tosh. I'm an Aston Villa fan with an opinion on one of its players, whatever works for the club.

Doug 5-6 games ? Your either kidding yourself or clutching at straws to bolster your argument. And with due respect Doug, you bought this up again not me.

It was 7 years ago almost to the day (Aug 17th) when he scored the striker's hat trick(left-foot, right-foot, header) against Man City. What a player you thought. Only managed 8 more for the season(goal numbers include all comps). Had has best season after that with 16 goals.

5, 6, 12, 4, 6

You can say what you like about managers, injuries etc but those numbers are are just not good enough. 6.6 goals/season in all comps the last 5 from one of your main strikers.

It's his general attitude for the last few seasons, the way he carries himself like it's just a job and he's going through the motions. I went off him seasons ago and the odd game where he turns up and wins a game has worn off. It's like battered wife syndrome.

But the point is surely that he hasn't been one of out main strikers? He's been predominantly played out wide. Last season he scored 6 with 1 assist compared with say Bolasie, who scored 4 with 6 assists which is pretty similar, Bolasie is priced at £20m and Gabby is considered someone to give away for free?

There are other parts of his game of course, but everyone keeps going on about his goal record even though, for a wide player (especially when you consider how defensive all our players have been asked to play under Lambert) it's actually not bad, and at very least comparable to other players in similar positions in similar strength teams.

Raheem Sterling just had his best ever season and earned a £49m move to Man City and he scored 13 goals while playing about 20 games more.

I'm not sure what people expect? Eden Hazard? Gabby is at worst a bang average winger in a bang average team. Maybe he's not good enough for where we want to be, but for where we are he is good enough.

Maybe better players will come in and displace him as we move up, that's the dream, and if it happens that will be great for us as we're progressing, but we're not there yet, and Gabby is still part of our team trying to make that progression happen, he's scored some big and important goals for us over his career, and at the very least he deserves a bit of respect from people even if they don't rate him.

• Like 1

I don' think Gabby should be a regular starter going forward but the one question I always have is that if Gabby is that poor, why does every Villa manager have him as a regular starter?

That's probably true, he's done nothing to merit abuse and it's not his fault he keeps getting picked. He even took a pay cut to help us...he could've just gone to Sunderland!

He had talent when he was younger, that talent was pace, but he never became a better player, either technically or mentally and that's where any criticism is fair, abuse is different.

He deserves to be booed however because he makes the same mistake over and over again, because he can't shoot/pass/cross with any real quality, because he stands around looking lost when he's been a Prem player for a decade and because he simply isn't much of a footballer. .

He's clealry open to criticism, well hearing it but not acting on it. That woulld get my boos (though I'm not really the booing type).

I guess it depends on the type of person you are and what you want from your player/manager. I truly believe in giving people time (stuck behind Lambo till Jan) but if like me you feel a player has been given enough chances the urge to boo gets more prominent.

With Gabby I don't boo too much. everything is wrapped too tightly in depair.

5, 6, 12, 4, 6

How many games has he actually played as striker in those seasons you've mentioned? If I recall correctly, we've pretty much always gone one up top in the Bent/Benteke years and Gabby has played wide.

6/7 a season seems like a decent return from a winger who plays the odd game up top. Unlike a lot of strikers, he's never padded his figures with penalties either.

Edited by kurtsimonw

5, 6, 12, 4, 6

How many games has he actually played as striker in those seasons you've mentioned? If I recall correctly, we've pretty much always gone one up top in the Bent/Benteke years and Gabby has played wide.

6/7 a season seems like a decent return from a winger who plays the odd game up top. Unlike a lot of strikers, he's never padded his figures with penalties either.

There is a reason he hasn't been played as a striker though,,see his Bournemouth performance.

5, 6, 12, 4, 6

There is a reason he hasn't been played as a striker though,,see his Bournemouth performance.

I agree that's why he's not played as a striker much. What I find odd is someone saying he should score like one. The seasons he played regularly as a striker, he had a good goal return.

• Like 1

5, 6, 12, 4, 6

I agree that's why he's not played as a striker much. What I find odd is someone saying he should score like one. The seasons he played regularly as a striker, he had a good goal return.

Not playing as a regular striker has hindered his development, he's not smart enough to learn a new position and retain the qualities of the last one.

However, these are his stats as a striker (1st set) and other positions (2nd set). (where is says crosses, that's the assist stats)

He's still had a fair crack as a striker....though granted the position is FW so perhaps sometimes he was a wide forward and not a AML. (though the position registered looks like FW up top)

Striker -

baf0008eec1cb4cfdcc984a37f958c8f.png

Other position than FW.

a38c0e7e226e960544607b6e27fb42d2.png

These stats don't tell you everything, for example he usually makes 1 key pass, but with the good comes the bad, his losing of the ball stats make for uncomfortable reading.

I'm not a great believer in stats being the whole judgement, especially not in football, but one thing is for certain, Gabby's stats do more to support him as a poor player than equal up his tremendous pace. 

By god I wish he was an epic player, but he isn't, and he's done well to establish the career he's had.

Edited by itdoesntmatterwhatthissay

Â