Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

That's like one of those questions where you don't tick the box to say you don't want to not receive additional information.

Really?

I don't think his salary is outlandish in comparison to his abilities.

Gabby averages just over nine goals per season. The fact that he is high on any club scoring chart only reflects on the lack of prolific forwards in our history and/or no longevity with those we did have. All Gabby regularly produces are half-seasons at best - he hasn't had one consistant season in all his time since breaking through. Being generous he is a below-par Premier League player and deserves nothing more below-average Premier League wages. But really he should never have had his contract renewed at the beginning of the season.

• Like 1

That'll be why so many other below average Premier league players have done the same thing then?

He's not perfect, not by a long chalk, he'll never be the centre forward that Benteke is, or the winger that Ashley Young was, but he's more than capable of playing in good teams and contributing and he's been amongst our better players for a decade.

I'm not against criticism of his form, either recently or over the last two or three seasons - he's not done justice to his potential in that time - I'd argue around injury and an inconsistent team around him, negative management or whatever - but it's hard to get into a sensible argument about him as a player with people who think he's never been good enough to play in the division. It's laughable.

That'll be why so many other below average Premier league players have done the same thing then?

I'd imagine because others are eventually sold/dropped once it becomes clear they lack in ability. They aren't given jobs for life at other clubs. What Gabby has done well also is always his usual little run of form just when the tide has turned against him to fool people into thinking that he has finally turned it around.

Edit: Also it isn't limited to the last few years. Even during his supposedly 'good' years under MON all he did was play well until around Christmas, burnt out, then contributed naff all for the remainder of the season. He was crap under Houllier and would've been sold there and then had the latter continued as our manager. Started brilliantly for all of 7/8 games in the McLeish season. You see the pattern here.

Edited by Isa

I'd imagine because others are eventually sold/dropped once it becomes clear they lack in ability. They aren't given jobs for life at other clubs. What Gabby has done well also is always his usual little run of form just when the tide has turned against him to fool people into thinking that he has finally turned it around.

Edit: Also it isn't limited to the last few years. Even during his supposedly 'good' years under MON all he did was play well until around Christmas, burnt out, then contributed naff all for the remainder of the season. He was crap under Houllier and would've been sold there and then had the latter continued as our manager. Started brilliantly for all of 7/8 games in the McLeish season. You see the pattern here.

That is true, that's why I think it would've been great to have someone like Sturridge around the 2008-09 season as that would've been proper competition and rotation for him so he could've been rested during those goal droughts when the new year hit and came back fresh for the run in.

Just to counter the lack of goals claim again...no penalties in that at all. That greatly inflated Bent's ability to reach 100 premier league goals as one example.

So would you agree that to be some way short of scoring 100 goals, in as you point out playing so many games for Villa, would not justify the salary he commands?

You could say that. Also, the fact he's played so many games for Villa also suggests he's a pretty good player does it not? 

Everything you ever need to know about Gabby is right here. Completely bang on the money. But how very dare you!

I'd imagine because others are eventually sold/dropped once it becomes clear they lack in ability

Correct. Gabby is still here, I would say he's not the exception that proves your rule, he's proof of the rule.

What Gabby has done well also is always his usual little run of form just when the tide has turned against him to fool people into thinking that he has finally turned it around.

Yep. He's done that about fifteen times now. Almost as if he's good but not consistent. I appreciate you see that as he's crap but has the occasional lucky streak - but even if you're right, I'm pretty happy with a player that can be lucky as often as he is.

Also it isn't limited to the last few years. Even during his supposedly 'good' years under MON all he did was play well until around Christmas, burnt out, then contributed naff all for the remainder of the season. He was crap under Houllier and would've been sold there and then had the latter continued as our manager. Started brilliantly for all of 7/8 games in the McLeish season. You see the pattern here.

I see it. I see a player who is very very good for about half of each season - if he was as good as his good patch all of the time, lets face it he wouldn't be here. He'd be at Chelsea or PSG. If he was as bad as his bad patch all of the time, he wouldn't be here, he'd be at Bradford or Blackpool.

The pattern I see is a player who has been better than most in our team for the last ten years. If he can keep that up for another four or five, I'll be delighted.

Lots of if buts and maybe going on. Do you not honestly feel that for 70k a week you mightn't want more than half seasons and as stated approx 9 goals per season? You say better than most players in the last 10 years, not a difficult feat to accomplish I would have thought, and in all honesty I would challenge even this. Not good enough I'm afraid.

• Like 2

Not good enough for what Dave? There are those in this thread that say he's not good enough for the Premier league full stop. For me, he's capable of being a decent squad player at a team like Liverpool or Spurs. He's a starter here and I don't see that changing in the immediate - for me he's better than Sinclair and his record shows it. He's not Walcott and he never will be, but he's more than decent and I think he's here on merit. 

Correct. Gabby is still here, I would say he's not the exception that proves your rule, he's proof of the rule.

He personifies everything wrong with the policy and poor planning during the Lerner era for me. Nobody at all will convince me that his last contract renewel was based on merit coming on the back of a four-goal season. He isn't even a half-season player nowadays.

Edited by Isa

OBE; yes I am one of those who very clearly do not believe he is good enough to play for Aston Villa or in the premier league for that matter. In my humble opinion he is championship material at best. Do you not wonder why there has hardly ever been any interest in him going to another club? And most of my friends who follow the baggies or the Dingles wouldn't want him anywhere near their club? Having been raised on the likes of Little, Gray, Shaw, Yorke, Saunders can you not share my frustration at his lack of technical expertise on the ball? Crickey that chance he missed the other week was nothing to do with being rusty, just rank bad technique in my view. I would still back Little and Shaw to finish that chance now!.

• Like 1

OBE; yes I am one of those who very clearly do not believe he is good enough to play for Aston Villa or in the premier league for that matter. In my humble opinion he is championship material at best. Do you not wonder why there has hardly ever been any interest in him going to another club? And most of my friends who follow the baggies or the Dingles wouldn't want him anywhere near their club? Having been raised on the likes of Little, Gray, Shaw, Yorke, Saunders can you not share my frustration at his lack of technical expertise on the ball? Crickey that chance he missed the other week was nothing to do with being rusty, just rank bad technique in my view. I would still back Little and Shaw to finish that chance now!.

https://youtu.be/oEGqUwKRbmE
  • Like 1

What you doing on the Gabby thread Dave? You're never on here and I never knew you didn't rate Gabby lol In all seriousness though, I believe Gabby took a hefty pay cut to stay with the club when he recently signed his new deal which effectively keeps him at the club until retirement, which shows a lot of commitment on his end. Also I do agree with many people in regards to his inconsistent form but I am still a fan of his. He's not a bad striker, just an inconsistent one. In the seasons where he's played purely as a striker he's had great patches, we all know he can't play wide yet he's played roughly half his games there, which is not his fault. When we had a good team under MON and he played up front, he would guarantee 10-15 goals a season. I know that's not brilliant but when you look at other teams around the league it does show he's no worse than average. Is he really worse than Naismith, Nolan, Fletcher, Anichabe, Crouch etc? These are all regular starters for your average prem team. There are only 6/7 20 goal a season strikers in the league, a lot of teams usually have a starting striker who doesn't break into double figures. I just think Gabby is your average prem striker who comes out with a flash of brilliance now and then. Plus I'll forgive him because of the SHA goals and the ones in the relegation scraps.

Oddly, he's scored more goals for Villa than any of the strikers on that list except Yorke - and for some of those, they scored a good proportion of their goals outside of the top flight.

The game has changed, and not necessarily for the better; I think Gabby is indicative of that, is he as good to watch as Brian Little, as graceful, as technically proficient, as sublime in his movement? No he's not. But the game is a lot quicker, it's about the physical, not the balletic and he's faster and stronger and that's why he's been a touch more effective than Little was statistically. 

• Like 1

Â