Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

Im not buying the "he doesn't care about Villa" thing. I think that's bollocks. I just think he's probably bored of being average and then shite, and playing shite football for years. Fans obviously aren't happy and he knows it. That's what it is. He's not doing much for us though and he shouldn't be guaranteed first team like he is. Rather see bent get a start, not that I'm confident he'd be any better. 

• Like 1

I thought Gabby was his old self on Monday and plays best in this system on his own, up top. I think he likes it when its all down to him. I dont think he plays well at all with a strike partner. Now before everyone says that Carew and Gabby was an excellent partnership, and it was, but that was in a totally different system. We had quality crosses from Downing and Young and Carew kept centre-backs busy allowing Gabby to open the taps and make defenders shit themselves. Power/aerial ability and lightning pace/movement are the two things that defenders hate and we had both in two forms. This combined with Young and Downing's runs and crosses meant for a highly scary attack (I almost shed a little tear as I wrote that). Anyway, in this system of zero creativity and little pace and movement Gabby has to work twice as hard for half as much and I think he does it better than most.

For me, with our current squad we have to play one up front at all times. Our midfield can look very organised and tough when we have 5 in it. With 4 we look fragile and have nothing going forward. If Benteke is to start, and he will, then Gabby has to play as an impact sub or as a right winger. I would like to see a midfield of Delph, Sanchez, Cleverley, Zog and Gabby giving us pace and potential creativity as well as a bit of grit. I dont rate Westwood at all as I've said many times and Cleverley isnt much better if at all but I have liked some of his play this season and he offers more for me..

• Like 1

Tonight is the perfect time for someone to take Gabby to one side and point out what I think has become his biggest failing. He was excellent in the first half, buzzing around everywhere, chasing things, but he ran out of steam after 45 minutes. He's spent a lot of time making himself strong so that he can hold the ball up, but it's not where his strength lies - he could do with ditching a couple of kilos of that muscle and getting some of the energy back into his game - it's the energy that makes him dangerous.

For the record, goal number 81 puts him level with Ray Graydon as our 23rd highest goalscorer.

granted....but in terms of goals to games it has a more jaundiced look about it.

Gabby has played many games for this club and that has got him his goals tally as opposed to being prolific.

Indeed, he's 24th on the all time list appearances list too.

Tonight is the perfect time for someone to take Gabby to one side and point out what I think has become his biggest failing. He was excellent in the first half, buzzing around everywhere, chasing things, but he ran out of steam after 45 minutes. He's spent a lot of time making himself strong so that he can hold the ball up, but it's not where his strength lies - he could do with ditching a couple of kilos of that muscle and getting some of the energy back into his game - it's the energy that makes him dangerous.

For the record, goal number 81 puts him level with Ray Graydon as our 23rd highest goalscorer.

granted....but in terms of goals to games it has a more jaundiced look about it.

Gabby has played many games for this club and that has got him his goals tally as opposed to being prolific.

Indeed, he's 24th on the all time list appearances list too.

He's never been a prolific goal scorer but let's face it there's not many players who'd score a lot of goals in a team as shite as Villa over the last few years.

I thought Gabby was his old self on Monday and plays best in this system on his own, up top. I think he likes it when its all down to him. I dont think he plays well at all with a strike partner. Now before everyone says that Carew and Gabby was an excellent partnership, and it was, but that was in a totally different system. We had quality crosses from Downing and Young and Carew kept centre-backs busy allowing Gabby to open the taps and make defenders shit themselves. Power/aerial ability and lightning pace/movement are the two things that defenders hate and we had both in two forms. This combined with Young and Downing's runs and crosses meant for a highly scary attack (I almost shed a little tear as I wrote that). Anyway, in this system of zero creativity and little pace and movement Gabby has to work twice as hard for half as much and I think he does it better than most.

For me, with our current squad we have to play one up front at all times. Our midfield can look very organised and tough when we have 5 in it. With 4 we look fragile and have nothing going forward. If Benteke is to start, and he will, then Gabby has to play as an impact sub or as a right winger. I would like to see a midfield of Delph, Sanchez, Cleverley, Zog and Gabby giving us pace and potential creativity as well as a bit of grit. I dont rate Westwood at all as I've said many times and Cleverley isnt much better if at all but I have liked some of his play this season and he offers more for me..

Quite the opposite imo, his 'displays' as Captain of the side were some of the worst I can rememeber in recent memory.

No matter how bad Gabby is - and he often is really poor - he's still not such a waste of space as Bent is. And to be completely fair, Gabby was pretty decent in the first half, although he did miss that sitter. Poor second half, but what exactly is it that Bent would have added? Nothing, that's what. 

No matter how bad Gabby is - and he often is really poor - he's still not such a waste of space as Bent is. And to be completely fair, Gabby was pretty decent in the first half, although he did miss that sitter. Poor second half, but what exactly is it that Bent would have added? Nothing, that's what. 

To be fair, you can't really use Bent's ability as an excuse for him - he's had a bad game, end of. 

Started the game really well and linked up nicely with Cole which is promising - probably our second best player in the first half - second half was poor. Should have put away a chance in the first half. Mixed bag, but he's looked livelier in the last two games than he has for a while. I think it'll be a Gabby-Benteke front two in the next one, hopefully with Cole in behind them.

To be fair, you can't really use Bent's ability as an excuse for him - he's had a bad game, end of. 

Yes, sorry, it wasn't clear because there were two intervening posts but I was replying to DK82, just too lazy to click the quote button. 

7 goals and 5 assists in his last 42 games (this season and last season)

So based on the last two season he scores about 1 goal every 6 games and sets up a goal less than once in every eight games.

Simply not good enough given that he is supposedly one of the players we're relying on to get a decent portion of our goals.

Doesn't sound like all the players have had the same opportunity.

Edited by Brumstopdogs

Â