Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

He's always been a hot and cold forward, think back to the MON days and he was usually brilliant up to xmas and would barely score a goal after, TSM year was similar.

Last season he didn't score a league goal until Nov 3rd, indeed he only had 1 to his name by mid January and yet ended the season in great form, think it was 6 goals in 7 games or something.

He'll hit a goal spurt run at some point I'm sure but I still maintain he shouldn't be an automatic pick every single time we play a home game, same for Weimann.

maybe Hodgson was justified after all for not calling him up

It seems that way. He was very good towards the end of last season and although he was brilliant at Arsenal, he hasn't looked as sharp since the injury and you dont fancy him to put a chance away either.

This is no different to Gabby every season, he starts off well, then towards Xmas he is quite frankly rubbish. People will say he's not playing his position, he had a complete sitter and fluffed it, not the only time this season, how many times will we continue to offer excuses for Gabby and Weimann? That their off form, there trying to hard. They have been rubbish and I for one do not agree with Lambert to continue playing them when they are offering nothing to the side.

• Like 1

as much as I like Gabby, he is kinda one of us, he can be devastating on his day, he does put the fear of god in to defenders, but there is a trade off or downside, he appears too comfortable at times, a bit like how Lee Hendrie got.

In the Birmingham Mail on Friday night 25 October this is what Mat Kendrick wrote presumably from Gabby's quotes

"I've got a few against Everton so it would be nice to get one this week end, said Agbonlahor. Its nice to score but look at last season, the goals came in stages. Its not on my mind,I know the goals will come.Its about doing a team job and if they come they come( stopping short of if they don't they don't).In my position I'm not going to get loads of chances. I might get one or two ( good job he ain't a centre half).Its more about putting the team effort in.

"Last season at that stage it didn't matter who scored, it could've been the goalkeeper. It was a matter of getting the points and its the same now.Its all about getting the results, personal joy comes second to the team winning"

Its all very noble to be saying the things he said but its a bit "lilly livered" almost you get what you get.

Some Aston Villa players have got a bit like this over the years and we need forwards to be a bit selfish and ruthless, Like Gray and Shearer...you would never hear them say things like that.

its like all the home losses, its all become a little bit acceptable.

Ps we need a goalscorer to win us a game not just "keep the wolf from the door" in his personal stats.....its all a bit too passive for me.

Edited by TRO

I losing the love for Gabby tbh.

He annoys me when he laughs when he misses .Saturday, Noocastle, Hull, 3 good chances, all missed.A possible extra 5 points if he puts them away.Not good enough.

Yes loved him at the end of last season but I'm starting to agree that it doesn't perform at that high level consistently enough.  He needs to get that passion back in his game or put him on the bench. One thing i dont understand with Lambert. He played Agbonlahor down the middle saturday yet he always drifts left anyway. Why does he not play Weimann in his best position. He did against City and he contributed with 2nd goal freekick and the winner.  

This is no different to Gabby every season, he starts off well, then towards Xmas he is quite frankly rubbish. People will say he's not playing his position, he had a complete sitter and fluffed it, not the only time this season, how many times will we continue to offer excuses for Gabby and Weimann? That their off form, there trying to hard. They have been rubbish and I for one do not agree with Lambert to continue playing them when they are offering nothing to the side.

Very much agree about Agbonlahor.

I think Weimann is different though, I think he offers a lot more.

You may well be right that he should be dropped, but he could easily play himself back into form, and I am not sure we have anyone else as good as Weimann to bring in.

Gabby needs dropping to the bench. He started the season off playing like a man who wanted to put himself into consideration for the world cup but recently he has dropped off completely.

Again i agree, but who do we have of quality to replace these dropped players. The problem is our two wingers know this as well.

Tonev provides genuine competition to the wide players now but I'm still miffed by the non-use of Helenius.

I dont think he does just yet. Surely if R Madrid can play Ramos in midfield we can play Lowton in Weinmans place :)

Gabby needs dropping to the bench. He started the season off playing like a man who wanted to put himself into consideration for the world cup but recently he has dropped off completely.

I think it has to do with his injury. Let's not forget against Norwich before he got injured he was almost unplayable.

I think it has to do with his injury. Let's not forget against Norwich before he got injured he was almost unplayable.

be careful not to sleep walk in to excuses...I don't think Gabby has ever been unplayable in the same vein as Benteke, Yorke, Platt, Little or Gray

I accept players cannot perform to their best level when they are carrying them, but attitude is also a tell tale sign...Gabby's comments whilst team like, was not very reassuring of a hungry lust for goals.

I don't really subscribe to this theory that a forward is there for assists....you are a forward for a reason...and the main one is to score goals.That is your stock in trade, and furthermore you want a goalscorer to win you games, not just add a few on to the total when the crucial work has been done and then claim 15 goals a season for creating a statistic.

Aston Villa needs to move away from this passiveness and create a more ruthless streak.

be careful not to sleep walk in to excuses...I don't think Gabby has ever been unplayable in the same vein as Benteke, Yorke, Platt, Little or Gray

I accept players cannot perform to their best level when they are carrying them, but attitude is also a tell tale sign...Gabby's comments whilst team like, was not very reassuring of a hungry lust for goals.

I don't really subscribe to this theory that a forward is there for assists....you are a forward for a reason...and the main one is to score goals.That is your stock in trade, and furthermore you want a goalscorer to win you games, not just add a few on to the total when the crucial work has been done and then claim 15 goals a season for creating a statistic.

Aston Villa needs to move away from this passiveness and create a more ruthless streak.

Good post in all fairness hes not in the same league as those players you mentioned. His one assett is pace and if he's not using it to take players on then he becomes less effective.

Â