All-Purpose Religion Thread

mjmooney

The religious mindset appears to go something like:

Joe Bloke: "I wish I could live forever".

Self-appointed guru: "If you join my club, you can. Oh, by the way, if you don't join my club, really, really bad shit will happen".

Joe Bloke: "Er... OK. I'd better try really hard to believe this".

Everything else follows pseudo-logically from that false premise.

I think Santa and the TF and others are an essential part of a childs growing up.You find out later that santa etc are not real but you enjoyed them while you thought they were.You find out later that god is not real either and this is also an important part of the growing up peocess. 

You learn that some things are fact and some things are fiction, but you learn which is which and learn to live with it. 

The only bad part is that santa is not forced down your throat whereas relegion is.

I consider myself to be one of the lucky ones, I enjoyed santa etc while I was young but I don`t spend the rest of my life on my knees praying to some fictiuos god.

Tobey-Maguire-292x300.jpg

What I don`t understand is that relegious people and priests etc etc tell you to pray to god and he will understand,he will forgive and he will help you out in times of need.

This is the bit I don`t understand.He killed the entire population ( men, women,dogs, cats and goats ) of the towns of Sodom and Gomora.He turned some guy`s wife to stone ( just because she looked back ) He killed the old and the young and the helpless of Egypt or some other country ( with 12 plagues )

And then to top it all of, he drowns the entire population of the world.

And this is the guy we should turn to when we need help ?????

FFS, you are probably better of praying to Hitler. 

if you don't join my club, really, really bad shit will happen".

Hush - don't emphasise that until he's been going to church for 3 years.

(it's true, they never mention the hellfire bit to converts)

What I don`t understand is that relegious people and priests etc etc tell you to pray to god and he will understand,he will forgive and he will help you out in times of need.

This is the bit I don`t understand.He killed the entire population ( men, women,dogs, cats and goats ) of the towns of Sodom and Gomora.He turned some guy`s wife to stone ( just because she looked back ) He killed the old and the young and the helpless of Egypt or some other country ( with 12 plagues )

Ah, but you see they were evil (and they probably didn't pray) ;)

Edited by legov

if you don't join my club, really, really bad shit will happen".

Hush - don't emphasise that until he's been going to church for 3 years.

(it's true, they never mention the hellfire bit to converts)

Ah, but you see they were evil (and they probably didn't pray) ;)

Wot ? you mean the whole world ?!

Having to **** pray at school was the worst.  

I was once given a strong word by a teacher because I didn't stand up and pray at the start of class. They said I was creating an atmosphere. From that day on I stood up, walked to the window and commentated on football matches on the pitches outside. They would be half-way through an our father and I would say something like 'red card, referee!'.

• Like 2

Ramadan is a moveable feast, like Easter. 

A feast?  I thought it was the opposite? 

feast  (femacr.gifst)
n.
a. A large, elaborately prepared meal, usually for many persons and often accompanied by entertainment; a banquet.
b. A meal that is well prepared and abundantly enjoyed.
2. A periodic religious festival commemorating an event or honoring a god or saint.
3. Something giving great pleasure or satisfaction: a book that is a veritable feast for the mind.

Â