All-Purpose Religion Thread

mjmooney

Lets be honest though, throughout history religion has caused far more problems that its solved.

If people didn't feel the need to fight with others over their beliefs then there wouldn't really be much of a problem with religion, or any other belief for that matter.

Sure. But what if my religious beliefs compel me to fight?

At the risk of repeating myself (like that's ever bothered me :) )...

Religion may not actually cause many wars, but time and again, it has been a convenient excuse for starting them.

Tribal leader/king/emperor/el presidente/big cheese:

"Hmmmm, this being a tribal leader/king/emperor/el presidente/big cheese is really fun, but I'm getting a bit bored. I really fancy grabbing some more land/gold/water/oil/virgins. How can I get my underlings to go and get them for me? Sure, I could just order them, after all, they're all shit scared of me, but it would be better if they were dead keen on the idea...

"I know! Oi, pope/bishop/high priest/mullah/grand wazoo! Could you get the unwashed to go and get themselves slaughtered en masse for me? I'll make it worth your while".

Pope/bishop/high priest/mullah/grand wazoo:

"Sure boss, no problem. I'll insist that Yahweh/Allah/Thor/Isis/Jupiter/Invisible Pink Unicorn calls them to slaughter the infidels, and that they will be rewarded by going to heaven, but if they refuse they'll roast in hell for all eternity"

"You reckon they'll buy that?"

Pope/bishop/high priest/mullah/grand wazoo:

"No problem chief, it works every time".

"Excellent! Fancy a pint of creme de menthe before we get started?"

Lets be honest though, throughout history religion has caused far more problems that its solved.

If people didn't feel the need to fight with others over their beliefs then there wouldn't really be much of a problem with religion, or any other belief for that matter.

Sure. But what if my religious beliefs compel me to fight?

Then you need to take a long hard look at yourself if you're willing to fight over them.

Good idea.

Fancy popping over the the middle east and telling them to have a long hard look at themselves?

I'm not wrong though am I? All those people out there who use violence in the name of religion are messed up in the head.

Good idea.

Fancy popping over the the middle east and telling them to have a long hard look at themselves?

I'm not wrong though am I? All those people out there who use violence in the name of religion are messed up in the head.

Yes and the absurd teachings of religion are enough to make you messed up in the head.

• Like 1

Good idea.

Yes and the absurd teachings of religion are enough to make you messed up in the head.

Only if there's something wrong with you in the beginning. Funny how there are plenty of people in this country (the vast majority even) who can believe in a religion without going round killing others who disagree with them.

Only if there's something wrong with you in the beginning. Funny how there are plenty of people in this country (the vast majority even) who can believe in a religion without going round killing others who disagree with them.

Yes because there is different levels of brainwashing involved.  A completely innocent mind can be moulded to carry out the worst atrocities in the name of religion.

Yes because there is different levels of brainwashing involved.  A completely innocent mind can be moulded to carry out the worst atrocities in the name of religion.

Or political belief, for that matter. The problem here is not with the belief itself but the manipulators and the manipulated.

Or political belief, for that matter. The problem here is not with the belief itself but the manipulators and the manipulated.

A political belief is not enough to the rouse the masses though.  How do you think governments in places such as Saudi Arabia enforce their political system and control measures.  With religion.

A political belief is not enough to the rouse the masses though.  How do you think governments in places such as Saudi Arabia enforce their political system and control measures.  With religion.

History tells us political belief can often be enough to rouse the masses. Arguably more people were killed in political conflicts in the last century than religious conflicts.

Through oppression largely.

I think religion and politics are quite intertwined.

I wouldn't have said Stalinism, Maoism or Nazism were overtly religious in the usual traditional sense, though they did pick up zealous converts. But between the three of them I think they rattled up quite a decent death total.

History tells us political belief can often be enough to rouse the masses. Arguably more people were killed in political conflicts in the last century than religious conflicts.

Through oppression largely.

But often religion is the banner used to promote a political agenda, and that's not just in the middle east.  Look at all the god guff Bush used to justify his oil raids.

Religion has a long history, not just last century, and not just the big religions, or big institutions. Belief has been the cause of all sorts of strange behaviour over the years.

Sacrifice, for example. Where did that spring from?

Oh hey, lets kill this chicken, lamb, man, woman, virgin, and that will bring good crops.

Very strange.

• Like 1

I think religion and politics are quite intertwined.

I wouldn't have said Stalinism, Maoism or Nazism were overtly religious in the usual traditional sense, though they did pick up zealous converts. But between the three of them I think they rattled up quite a decent death total.

There's only one common denominator there.

But often religion is the banner used to promote a political agenda, and that's not just in the middle east.  Look at all the god guff Bush used to justify his oil raids.

And often it isn't. Look at the Chinese civil war and the subsequent deaths under Mao, which enforced state atheism.

I think it's definitely debatable whether or not Iraq was about oil but that's for another topic.

Religion has a long history, not just last century, and not just the big religions, or big institutions. Belief has been the cause of all sorts of strange behaviour over the years.

Sacrifice, for example. Where did that spring from?

Oh hey, lets kill this chicken, lamb, man, woman, virgin, and that will bring good crops.

Very strange.

Well, people in general can be pretty strange.

Yes, I agree completely with the separation of church and state, although I think referring to it as "brainwashing" is going a bit far.

I'm comparing it to teaching children to think rationally. Teaching them to think only with certain limits is brainwashing them. Use a different word if you like, but it'll mean the same thing.

Speaking from the perspective of someone who is religious, just for some balance, I try and imagine a world where everyone was atheist.  Tbh I just don't see how there would be less violence or less war. That to me shows me that it is a human problem.  

Â