All-Purpose Religion Thread

mjmooney

That does annoy me when someone asks if I'm christian and I reply "Yeah, i'm Catholic" to get the response of "So your not christian then?"

Whenever someone tells me they are Catholic I think of them as zombie worshipping cannibals. Other Christians are simply zombie worshippers.

If you aren't a cannibal, you aren't a Catholic and need to have a long chat with your doctrinal apologist about your immortal soul.

I once found myself (as an atheist) having to explain the history of Christianity to a street evangelist. Ironic, or what?

I kept it simple, but I was quite willing to get down to the details of The Council of Trent and the Counter-Reformation if required.

I know. I had one try to proselytize me on the street and I said don't you have a problem that there is no contemporary historical evidence of Jesus' existence? He said "Yes there is... I said don't say Josephus. "Yes, Josephus" Not contemporary and well accepted by the church, no less, that the ONE paragraph in all his writings that fawningly mentions Jesus is an obvious forgery inserted later.

Also he didn't know the name of the criminal that was let go instead of Jesus Christ, i.e. Jesus Barabbas or Jesus "Son of the father" if you were to tranlate from aramaic.

Eventually he got bored and told me a tidal wave was going to come and kill everyone on earth and I should believe in Jesus if I wanted to be saved.

Edited by Kiwivillan

Also he didn't know the name of the criminal that was let go instead of Jesus Christ, i.e. Jesus Barabbas or Jesus "Son of the father" if you were to tranlate from aramaic.

Yeah I've been wondering about that for a while now. Where did the Barabbas bit come from? It's obviously no mere coincidence, but I'm not sure what we can infer from it exactly.

Maybe it was all a mix-up due to an unfortunate coincidence with the names, and they got the wrong guy?

Something like that maybe...perhaps somewhere along the line, one of the re-tellers of the story (whatever story/book the Gospel of Matthew ultimately originated from) mixed two different stories up together by accident.

Yeah I've been wondering about that for a while now. Where did the Barabbas bit come from? It's obviously no mere coincidence, but I'm not sure what we can infer from it exactly.

I think the story is nothing more than an allegory of the 2 goats tradition. 

The sacrificing of the goat was not unique to Yom Kippur. It was mandatory on the first day of each month and on festivals (Num. 28:11-31;  29: 1-39).

Lots would be cast to choose the good goat and the evil(or scapegoat) one. The good one would be sacrificed so that it's blood could atone for the sins of the Jewish people. The scapegoat was released into the wilderness to suffer it's fate.

The two goats on Yom Kippur should be identical in appearance, size, and value, and the two shall be chosen together (Talmud - Yoma 62a).

So we have two Jesus. One recognised as the son of the holy father and another whose name literally translates to son of the father. One is a good man and the other "a notorious prisoner". The crowd choose the evil one to be released and for the good one to be crucified and in his death he atones for all the sins of mankind.

Quite a nice allegory but a story nonetheless.

http://jewishroots.net/holidays/day-of-atonement/yom-kippur.htm#two-goats

• 2 weeks later...

I watched a documentary a few days ago where it said that Abraham and Jacob had more than one wife each.

So, as a lot of people take the bible as gospel ( pun intended) why is it against the law to have more than one wife now ?

Apparently God OK,ed it

That's the thing about the Bible, there's never a clear message. Not because of allegory or other literary devices, but because it contradicts itself so, so many times. You can support just about any ethical viewpoint with the Bible, so self-contradictory it is.

One would think the all-powerful Creator of the Universe would do better.

• Like 1

I do agree with this passage of the bible though

Then God said, “I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food. 30 And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds in the sky and all the creatures that move along the ground—everything that has the breath of life in it—I give every green plant for food.” And it was so.

:D

• Like 1

I do agree with this passage of the bible though

Then God said, “I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food. 30 And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds in the sky and all the creatures that move along the ground—everything that has the breath of life in it—I give every green plant for food.” And it was so.

:D

All animals back then were vegans, didn't you know? :)

• Like 1

Â