All-Purpose Religion Thread

mjmooney

There are only hundreds of billions of galaxies. That's why it's so important to wash your feet and face an arbitrary place on one of the planets surrounding the estimated 40,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 stars in the universe. None of the other places matter.

There are only hundreds of billions of galaxies. That's why it's so important to wash your feet and face an arbitrary place on one of the planets surrounding the estimated 40,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 stars in the universe. None of the other places matter.

That's what amazes me about religious people though. They genunely think they're so important, they genuinely believe someone/something would actually give two shits about what they do in their day to day lives... which is just a ridiculous idea in itself when you consider how big the universe actually is.

If we were to find life on Mars (or any other planet), then that means their "god" has been giving life to potentially every planet in the universe for god knows how long. Now, with this information, will they still believe that their actions are still so important to their god?

I do genuinely think that most religious types choose to ignore that there is a universe, that there are billions of other planets, that the possibility of life on one of them is surely probable, and that we really are just a tiny tiny dot in something far greater, our whole existence is meaningless in the grand scheme of things.

I often hear people say "athiests must be so scared of death".... does anyone else get really frustrated by that? Why would I be scared of something so natural? More importantly, why the **** would I want to live on forever, i'd get bored???

I'd admire your bravery a bit more if you didn't live in South America AJR :)

It's true... and I like telling people I live a thousand miles from the nearest muslim... a slight exaggeration.

However, to prove my evenhandedness in such matters, I'm known in town as the only person who ever interrupted a happy clappy and asked them to keep down the volume.

He he. So there is some good in you after all 8)

... and whilst we all prattle on and make jokes about believers, take a look at what they are actually up to:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-19562692

Which is why the filth they peddle needs round the clock, wall to wall insulting.

The country is going through a revolution, there is a power struggle and some are using religion for their own aims. Which is a shame as most people there probably just want to live peaceful happy lives.

I'm sick to the teeth of the news on the screen

Of hisbullah scum and jihad the obscene

Whose men plant the bombs and then live feeling free

To watch women and children be killed on T.V.

Which satan delivers a child a death curse

In the name of a worn out collection of verse

I've not read the book so I cannot recite

But I'd bet Salman Rushdie is just about right

Underneath the black cloud of islam

What kind of publicity needs so much blood

That's not for some sad diablical god

Selling himself as a two-bit Macbeth

As the expect in sentencing cousins to death

And what kind of god can this be anyway

That you have to prostrate to him five times a day

With hate in your heart and a gun in your hand

Is force the only thing to understand

Underneath the black cloud of islam?

And the butchers who've got all this blood on their hands

Are the ones who need god to be stood where he stands

Blessing this kidnapping, murder and war

With books written hundreds of ages before

And woman in veils walking paces behind

Doesn't sit easy in my mind

It speaks of oppression and no other choice

That rigid compliance with the loudest voice

Underneath the black cloud of islam

You can put a lead bullet clean through this guitar

'cos I'm not overjoyed with the story so far

Sharing a world with the nutters of god

Is as good as being six feet under the sod

Words that are written are all here to say

And these are the latest there are anyway

And I am the prophet so don't believe me

I'm the same as the old ones expect that I'm free

To give you a piece of my mind which is this

You're the worst of jehovas blind witlessnesses

With your feet in the door of the deepest abyss

Which is underneath the black cloud of islam

Roy Harper - The Black Cloud of Islam

... and whilst we all prattle on and make jokes about believers, take a look at what they are actually up to:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-19562692

Which is why the filth they peddle needs round the clock, wall to wall insulting.

The country is going through a revolution, there is a power struggle and some are using religion for their own aims. Which is a shame as most people there probably just want to live peaceful happy lives.

One could probably say the same for paedophiles and nazis.

Meanwhile it is estimated that over one third of Afghans support the Taliban... just as one half of young muslims in this country approved of 9/11.

What? You'll have to explain that one.

Meanwhile it is estimated that over one third of Afghans support the Taliban... just as one half of young muslims in this country approved of 9/11.

I'd like to know who was asked, what the question was.

Let's not get started on America. I'm convinced that the words 'Manifest Destiny' will slip from Romney's mouth sooner rather than later.

(Although the Blair/Bush school of interventionism was pretty much MD in all but name)

Also, on Romney, has no one on Obama's team pointed out that the man is a bloody Mormon?

Also, on Romney, has no one on Obama's team pointed out that the man is a bloody Mormon?

I don't understand why they don't seem to have. You'd think they have nothing to lose: It's possibly the most moronic religion after Scientology, and the relatively insignificant number of Mormons would be voting for Romney anyway. That South Park episode should be on continuous loop.

What? You'll have to explain that one.

I'd like to know who was asked, what the question was.

Sorry not to be clear. What I was trying to say was that everyone wants to live a quiet and peaceful life... but that does not resolve one of responsibility for one's actions or beliefs.

Secondly, whilst recognising the the inherent weakness of surveys and opinion polls, they are not totally without value.

Sorry not to be clear. What I was trying to say was that everyone wants to live a quiet and peaceful life... but that does not resolve one of responsibility for one's actions or beliefs.

The majority of people who want to live in peace generally have nothing to do with any of the violence we see.

Secondly, whilst recognising the the inherent weakness of surveys and opinion polls, they are not totally without value.

Well they are totally without value if you can't put them into any kind of context.

Â