All-Purpose Religion Thread

mjmooney

^^ this.

paedophilia is a criminal offense, having religious belief isn't. we must both criticize the idea and we must also incarcerate the perpetrators so they do no harm to minors, the two concepts are very different and the example is of limited use as a comparison.

Nazism was an ideology which could have been criticized on philosophical grounds, as we are speaking of Islam now.. When put into practice by the regime in Germany, it became a destructive, criminal enterprise which murdered millions, but in 1933, the vast majority of German citizens could not have known what was to come. By 1937, maybe, but not in '33.

^^ this.

paedophilia is a criminal offense, having religious belief isn't. we must both criticize the idea and we must also incarcerate the perpetrators so they do no harm to minors, the two concepts are very different and the example is of limited use as a comparison.

Nazism was an ideology which could have been criticized on philosophical grounds, as we are speaking of Islam now.. When put into practice by the regime in Germany, it became a destructive, criminal enterprise which murdered millions, but in 1933, the vast majority of German citizens could not have known what was to come. By 1937, maybe, but not in '33.

Inciting violence is also a criminal offence. As such the Quran should be banned as it clearly does so.

http://tinyurl.com/6efhkjx

Religion poisons everything.

Some very telling and interesting stats to examine. The amount of folks from the Islamic world who approve of harsh punishment for things we don't even consider crimes is startling. Death penalties for adultery and leaving Islam (!), food for thought.

If this human race of ours is to progress, and maybe even survive, religion must go.

The thing that amuses me more than anything else is that the 3 Abrahamic religions who seem so intent or persecuting other and generally being international dicks are so similar. Its like 3 retellings of the same story.
This.

This idiots don't even seem to understand that it's all the same religion!!!

• 3 weeks later...
The thing that amuses me more than anything else is that the 3 Abrahamic religions who seem so intent or persecuting other and generally being international dicks are so similar. Its like 3 retellings of the same story.
This.

This idiots don't even seem to understand that it's all the same religion!!!

If you use that argument though, you won't be able to use the "why don't you pray to other gods" argument anymore.

Well, you could, but it would be harder.

Anyway, some more evidence of how we are undoubtedly related to animals, and how non-reproductive sex is perfectly natural. (possibly NSFW)

Male penguin couples have been documented to mate for life, build nests together, and to use a stone as a surrogate egg in nesting and brooding. In 2004, the Central Park Zoo in the United States replaced one male couple's stone with a fertilized egg, which the couple then raised as their own offspring.[43] German and Japanese zoos have also reported homosexual behaviour among their penguins. This phenomenon has also been reported at Kelly Tarlton's Aquarium in Auckland, New Zealand. "Humans have created the myth that sexuality can be justified only by reproduction, which by definition limits it to hetero sex," says Michael Bronski, author of The Pleasure Principle: Culture, Backlash, and the Struggle for Gay Freedom. "But here is an animal society that uses homosexuality to improve its social life."

Masturbation is common in the animal kingdom ... We have a Darwinist mentality that all animals only have sex to procreate. But there are plenty of animals who will masturbate when they have nothing better to do. Masturbation has been observed among primates, deer, killer whales and penguins, and we're talking about both males and females. They rub themselves against stones and roots. Orangutans are especially inventive. They make dildos of wood and bark.

Anyone who has been lucky enough to see a monkey knock one out in a zoo, only to shy away on hearing the laughter of a crowd, knows we come from a similar place.
Yeah and yet they don't drag the monkey into a holding cell for questioning then ban him for 2 years from entering the zoo. Oh no no.

• 3 weeks later...

On the gay front, I've noticed a few buses around here have the (slightly controversial to bigots) 'Some people are gay, deal with it' Stonewall ads that first appeared in London a while back.

Good stuff.

An atheist 11-year-old from the United Kingdom was recently banned from the Scouts after he refused to pledge allegiance to God and the Queen.

"Variations of the Scout Promise are available for different faiths (such as the use of 'Allah' to replace 'God' for Muslim Scouts), however all the variations of the promise recognise the 'Duty to God' element," a Scouts spokesman explained.

George Pratt was dismissed from his Radstock, Somerset Scouts chapter after he refused to pledge allegiance to God.

"Young people are required to show both an understanding, relevant to their age, and an acceptance of the promise before they become a member," the spokesperson added, according to The Daily Mail.

Pratt had been attending the 1st Midsomer Norton Group in Somerset for 10 months before he was asked to give the Scout's Promise pledge.

Pratt argues that the decision is "very unfair" and that he was excited to make new friends through the Scouts group.

"I am really disappointed about not being able to go anymore just because I don't believe in God," Pratt told The Telegraph.

"I'm not going to change my decision though," the boy added.

The boy's father, Nick Pratt, 45, has argued that he believes his son should be allowed into the organisation regardless of religious affiliation.

"Christianity is meant to be about being tolerant, forgiving and understanding," Pratt told The Sun.

"You are allowed to join if you are a Christian or a Muslim, but you can't not believe in God," he continued, adding "this is regardless of the fact that you are sensitive, generous, kind and genuinely a good person."

Great Britain's Scout Association was founded in 1907 through the efforts of Robert Baden-Powell as a part of the World Organisation of the Scout Movement.

Since 2007, Great Britain's Scout programme has allowed both boys and girls to participate. The organisation has always required participants to carry some form of religious faith in a higher power, and has repeatedly received criticism from the National Secular Society and the British Humanist Association.

The Scout's Promise reads as follows: "On my honour, I promise that I will do my best, to do my duty to God and to the Queen, to help other people, and to keep the Scout Law."

Christian Today (heh heh)

Good lad, George.

Was going shopping with missus on Saturday pm. On approaching a traffic island I see this 'learner' approaching from the right who was already on the island. Instead of accelerating to get in front of it (like the idiot I normally am) I actually thought 'well we all have to learn sometime' and, not wishing to alarm the young girl learning, we dropped in behind. I am suddenly aware of a white Audi TT racing up behind me, far too close for my liking. Just as I was commenting to afore mentioned missus the Audi drops a gear and races past both of us probably doing 40+ in a 30 limit. Within seconds a panda car comes racing past, all lights and horns, and the Audi pulls in. We got a good look at the driver as the copper is speaking to him; he was quite a classy bloke as the swallow on his neck was really pretty and all other tattoos looked spelt correctly .

I mention this little story as absolute proof that there is a God.

Pilgrims evacuated as French floods hit Lourdes shrine

_63616676_63616671.jpg Some elderly people had to be carried by rescuers through the flooded streets

Hundreds of Roman Catholic pilgrims have been evacuated from the sanctuary of Lourdes in France after heavy flooding in the area.

The Gave de Pau river burst its banks after days of rain, flooding campsites around the shrine and parts of the southern city itself.

Lourdes is famous for what many Roman Catholics believe was a vision of the Virgin Mary by a local girl in 1858.

Millions of pilgrims from around the world visit the shrine each year.

More than 450 pilgrims, including the sick and disabled, were evacuated from the area by Saturday, local officials say.

The water now is about a metre (three feet) deep in front of the grotto where the Virgin Mary is believed to have appeared, covering the altar.

_63616669_63616668.jpg The altar at the grotto is now under water

However, the Basilica of the Immaculate Conception itself - situated on higher ground - has not suffered any damage, officials say.

"I've seen nothing like it in 40 years," hotel owner Pierre Barrere was quoted as saying by the AFP news agency.

Meteorologists warn that the rain - which has been falling since Thursday - is likely to continue until at least Sunday.

The sanctuary is the name given to the central area of the Lourdes pilgrimage site, which is home to 22 places of worship.

It was founded after 14-year-old peasant girl Bernadette Soubirous claimed to have witnessed a series of visions in a cave.

Since then, many people suffering illness or infirmity claim to have been miraculously cured by spring water coming from the sanctuary.

Oops.

Presumably theres now more than enough miracle water to go round.

Perhaps miracle molecules can be used like homeopathy remedies, and get stronger the more dilute it is... in which case Lourdes water should probably be more miraculous than ever. They should have left the sick and disabled, they'd be fit as fiddle soon enough.

Is it possible to believe in karma but not believe in God? Are they linked or not. Please elaborate on any answer(s) to the question.

Look, he has arisen, Voinjama is truly the son of god :mrgreen:

There have been enquiries as to your whereabouts

Of course. The original origin of the idea of Karma, in the Indian religious sphere, doesn't necessarily infer any deity's involvement. It can, a lot of followers of the Indian religions believe that Karma is... regulated... by the deities, but for many others karma is a system in its own right whereby ones actions have an effect, basic causation really.

Of course, the belief is as nonsensical as belief in a deity - there is no cause and effect relationship between ones moral standing and what comes to an individual - many bastards live kingly lives, many saints are dealt a raw hand. Life isn't in moral balance - it is random, in a state of chaos. Karma could only reasonably be considered to exist insofar as a shady character is more likely to encounter shady circumstances than a upstanding average joe, but that's not really karma, and as such the entire thing is nonsense.

Â