All-Purpose Religion Thread

mjmooney

Ex-Pope been saying some strange things it seems

Former Pope blames abuse scandal on the sexual revolution of the swinging 60s

He wrote: “It could be said that in the 20 years from 1960 to 1980, the previously normative standards regarding sexuality collapsed entirely, and a new normalcy arose that has by now been the subject of laborious attempts at disruption.”

:snip:

According to an English translation published by several Catholic websites, he said: “Among the freedoms that the Revolution of 1968 sought to fight for was this all-out sexual freedom, one which no longer conceded any norms.

“The mental collapse was also linked to a propensity for violence. That is why sex films were no longer allowed on airplanes because violence would break out among the small community of passengers.

“And since the clothing of that time equally provoked aggression, school principals also made attempts at introducing school uniforms with a view to facilitating a climate of learning.

“Part of the physiognomy of the Revolution of ‘68 was that pedophilia was then also diagnosed as allowed and appropriate.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/04/11/former-pope-blames-abuse-scandal-sexual-revolution-swinging/

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115caf7d075475394e6f

Rugby Australia set to terminate Israel Folau's contract over social media post
The body says it has made "repeated" attempts to contact the fullback but he has failed to communicate with them.

Rugby Australia and the New South Wales Rugby Union say they intend to terminate Israel Folau's contract.

It comes after a social media post in which Folau, one of the sport's top players, said "hell awaits" gay people.

Folau published a message on his Instagram account saying hell awaits "drunks, homosexuals, adulterers, liars, fornicators, thieves, atheists, idolators".

RA chief executive Raelene Castle said she and NSW Rugby Union chief Andrew Hore made "repeated attempts" to contact the 30-year-old Waratahs star directly and via his representatives but he failed to communicate with them.

Their intention to terminate his contract if he cannot offer a good reason for the controversial post comes just five months before the start of the Rugby World Cup in Japan.

The Wallabies star has won 73 caps and would have been a key part of Australia head coach Michael Cheika's plans.
Ms Castle said: "As a code we have made it clear to Israel formally and repeatedly that any social media posts or commentary that is in any way disrespectful to people because of their sexuality will result in disciplinary action.

Sky

Religious persecution innit

A few weeks back a few mentioned that it’s a fact that the Catholic Churchs views on contraception led to the spread of aids in Africa? 

Now I’m not disputing whether this is true or not, but doesn’t the catholic church teach no sex before marriage and also the importance of monogamous relationships?

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

A few weeks back a few mentioned that it’s a fact that the Catholic Churchs views on contraception led to the spread of aids in Africa? 

Now I’m not disputing whether this is true or not, but doesn’t the catholic church teach no sex before marriage and also the importance of monogamous relationships?

that's correct

I believe they also tell bears not to defecate on forestry commission land.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

that's correct

I believe they also tell bears not to defecate on forestry commission land.

I have no idea what that’s meant to mean.

So people won’t use a condom because God said they can’t. But they can have sex before marriage and cheat on their wives as long as god isn’t looking?

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

I have no idea what that’s meant to mean.

So people won’t use a condom because God said they can’t. But they can have sex before marriage and cheat on their wives as long as god isn’t looking?

It is human nature that people want to ****. It's why you and me are here.

You can't expect 100% observance by 1,200,000,000 people of a rule that defies nature.

If a country makes gay sex a taboo then you can't openly exchange information and ignorance is generally a bad thing. Same goes for contraception. Same goes for over macho mores.

The taboo and the ignorance doesn't just impact on the health of those directly involved. You tell a man he has to have a wife and can't have easy access to contraception, there's a chance that a per centage are conflicted, confused, bi, trans, gay, curious, whatever. They have unsafe sex and then transfer their ignorance to their wife.

Information is power. The catholic church knows this.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

It is human nature that people want to ****. It's why you and me are here.

You can't expect 100% observance by 1,200,000,000 people of a rule that defies nature.

If a country makes gay sex a taboo then you can't openly exchange information and ignorance is generally a bad thing. Same goes for contraception. Same goes for over macho mores.

The taboo and the ignorance doesn't just impact on the health of those directly involved. You tell a man he has to have a wife and can't have easy access to contraception, there's a chance that a per centage are conflicted, confused, bi, trans, gay, curious, whatever. They have unsafe sex and then transfer their ignorance to their wife.

Information is power. The catholic church knows this.

I get all that. I still think it seems a stretch to blame the church on this one.  

11 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I get all that. I still think it seems a stretch to blame the church on this one.  

So the Catholic Church run clinics for people with AIDS, they refuse to give out condoms to those people who already have AIDS or are HIV, whose fault do you think that is? The people with AIDS and HIV?

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

So the Catholic Church run clinics for people with AIDS, they refuse to give out condoms to those people who already have AIDS or are HIV, whose fault do you think that is? The people with AIDS and HIV?

So are they responsible for the spread of aids or just not helping the situation? 

28 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

So are they responsible for the spread of aids or just not helping the situation? 

Responsible, because they are very often the front line in the treatment and the campaign against the spread of the disease. Except they tell people not to have sex and that God doesn't like condoms. This isn't just some preachy shit in Church, the Catholic Church run over 500 AIDS help centres in Kenya alone.

It'like turning up at the doctors with viral meningitis and him telling you to go home and not come into contact with anyone.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

Responsible, because they are very often the front line in the treatment and the campaign against the spread of the disease. Except they tell people not to have sex and that God doesn't like condoms. This isn't just some preachy shit in Church, the Catholic Church run over 500 AIDS help centres in Kenya alone.

It'like turning up at the doctors with viral meningitis and him telling you to go home and not come into contact with anyone.

Fair enough. 

But if I went home and touched people does that make the doctor responsible for me spreading the meningitis or was he just no help to me?

It sounds like the Catholic Church could be doing a lot more to prevent the spread of aids.  They are certainly not helping the situation by the sounds of it.

I just struggle to see how they can be accused of being responsible for it. 

7 minutes ago, Chindie said:

It never fails to raise a surge of pride in my heart every time the elderly Jehovah troop skips past my house on their rounds.

They are shithouses round here, they put leaflets through the door and run away before I can take up lots of their time

I love the smell of Jovee in the morning

1 minute ago, bickster said:

They are shithouses round here, they put leaflets through the door and run away before I can take up lots of their time

I love the smell of Jovee in the morning

They haven't come here in years. The last time they came I made a point of berating just about everything I could about them. And threw in some Satanist stuff for giggles. Now their weekly wanderings pointedly have them walk past here, whilst the neighbours get their doors knocked.

I have had another evangelical turn up, a few months ago. Dunno what branch of lunacy but was on her own and didn't have the ubiquitous Watchtower pamphlet. She caught me at a bad time so just looked horrified when I said I was actively against whatever god she was shilling and didn't seem to understand my being absolutely and wholly anti-religion and being completely irreligious. The look of horror was such I was disappointed that she wasn't doing the sign of the cross and chanting blessings as she scurried down the drive.

Mostly these days is the occasional complete madness leaflet put through the door. The day before the Brexit referendum I got a leaflet put through the door which laid out an 'argument' that amounted to the EU being antithetical to Christianity and therefore all good god fearing Christians must vote to leave. And shortly after that I got a bizarre thing through the door, a little pamphlet, no bigger than a credit card, which had insane script all over it, in the tiniest text imaginable, ranting on about various conspiracies and biblical code and weird rhetorical questions linking to bible verses. It was the kind of thing you'd expect the serial killer to leave at the murder scene in a really schlocky detective drama movie.

1 minute ago, Chindie said:

They haven't come here in years. The last time they came I made a point of berating just about everything I could about them. And threw in some Satanist stuff for giggles. Now their weekly wanderings pointedly have them walk past here, whilst the neighbours get their doors knocked.

I have had another evangelical turn up, a few months ago. Dunno what branch of lunacy but was on her own and didn't have the ubiquitous Watchtower pamphlet. She caught me at a bad time so just looked horrified when I said I was actively against whatever god she was shilling and didn't seem to understand my being absolutely and wholly anti-religion and being completely irreligious. The look of horror was such I was disappointed that she wasn't doing the sign of the cross and chanting blessings as she scurried down the drive.

Mostly these days is the occasional complete madness leaflet put through the door. The day before the Brexit referendum I got a leaflet put through the door which laid out an 'argument' that amounted to the EU being antithetical to Christianity and therefore all good god fearing Christians must vote to leave. And shortly after that I got a bizarre thing through the door, a little pamphlet, no bigger than a credit card, which had insane script all over it, in the tiniest text imaginable, ranting on about various conspiracies and biblical code and weird rhetorical questions linking to bible verses. It was the kind of thing you'd expect the serial killer to leave at the murder scene in a really schlocky detective drama movie.

I occasionally have a customer in the car that tries to engage me in religious conversation. It then becomes a battle of wills as to who ends the journey first. I nearly always win (they ask me to stop the car way before the originally stated destination)

The usual script is that they then report me to the company, which is about as much use as a chocolate teapot because I've worked there for 2 decades and I'm the one the Customer Services manager comes to for advice. We usually have a good laugh about it. (she's an atheist too)

"DId you really say, God doesn't exist and if he did he should be locked up for life because he's more evil than the Yorkshire Ripper and Harold Shipman combined"

"Yup"

2 hours ago, Chindie said:

It never fails to raise a surge of pride in my heart every time the elderly Jehovah troop skips past my house on their rounds.

I can kind of understand the point of them knocking on doors and trying (and failing) to talk people round, but what I don't get is there are always a couple near one of the bus stops in town that just stand there with a stand with leaflets on who don't even try to attract anyone's attention.  They just stand there in silence all day long hoping people will go out of their way to get converted.  What a waste of a life.

Â