General Next Manager Topic?? (everything other than Lambert)

donnie

We ARE a top club, however our fortunes rise and fall. So a good manager can expect to take us to the top 5 or 6 rather than using us a stepping stone to get there.

We need to scout the continent for players instead of just buying British like we have been doing for the past few years.

It doesn't matter where they come from chap as long as they are good

It does when you're on a limited budget. British players tend to be much more expensive.

Paul Lambert managed to bring in Anthony Pilkington, Elliott Bennett and Kyle Naughton (loan) for next to nothing. They all look good in the premier league.

Also he is a European cup winner with Dortmund where he is still a club legend. More continental experience than the lauded ogs!!

I honestly think he is potentially one of the best managers in England.

If we get him the board deserve a huge amount of credit. They will have pulled off a major coup.

We need to scout the continent for players instead of just buying British like we have been doing for the past few years.

It doesn't matter where they come from chap as long as they are good

It does when you're on a limited budget. British players tend to be much more expensive.

Paul Lambert managed to bring in Anthony Pilkington, Elliott Bennett and Kyle Naughton (loan) for next to nothing. They all look good in the premier league.

Also he is a European cup winner with Dortmund where he is still a club legend. More continental experience than the lauded ogs!!

I honestly think he is potentially one of the best managers in England.

If we get him the board deserve a huge amount of credit. They will have pulled off a major coup.

Totally agree. I think he's a top quality manager.

Lambert is hardly vibrant, compelling or exciting

So if it's him those words were either just plucked from a dictionary or it's more club spin and assuming the fans are all retards

You do realise what he has done with Norwich?

If not, i suggest you look it up.

So if it's him those words were either just plucked from a dictionary or it's more club spin and assuming the fans are all retards

Yeah sadly this. Got to give the guy a chance but I just feel the board have played it all far too cautiously if PL gets the job.

Don't get me wrong I won't be rushing out to spray can the BH walls (this year ;-))

Equally I won't be popping the champers

Lambert has the best CV - playing and management of the British contenders. He did his coaching badges in Germany I think so is nothing like MoN regarding background.

Regarding vibrant and exciting - Ron Saunders was hardly any of them but wasn't bad was he?

Lambert has the best CV - playing and management of the British contenders. He did his coaching badges in Germany I think so is nothing like MoN regarding background.

Regarding vibrant and exciting - Ron Saunders was hardly any of them but wasn't bad was he?

That is interesting and something I was not aware of.

My source tells me that the third candidate insisted on no publicity which Randy evidently liked. He attended an informal interview last week with just Paul Faulkner. The mystery candidate was dressed in a full burkha, stating that he was a very recent convert to Islam and was still unsure about the dress code.

Two things particularly appealed to Paul Faulkner, the mystery candidate stated his hatred of the phrase "ginger tosser," and also didn't appear to have a reference from Carsten Yeung, although he did say that the current Man U manager would give him a glowing reference if neccessary.

It is believed that RL/PF are keen on a second interview with the veiled prospect at which both RL/PF will also be fully veiled, as Randy thinks that his vision is more easily shared without physical distraction. If the meeting of minds is successful then an appointment will be made immediately I am reliably informed.

From the Scottish Daily Record last year

PAUL LAMBERT makes no bones about his admiration for Martin O'Neill but the man he credits for sending him on a mazy route to managerial stardom might come as a surprise to the Tartan Army.

Berti Vogts.

The former Celtic captain, who guided Norwich to the Premiership on Monday, wore the armband for Scotland during Vogts' ill-fated reign as manager of the national team and formed a strong bond with the German.

Vogts repaid that loyalty by smoothing the path for Lambert, who had won the Champions League with Borussia Dortmund, to return to Germany to take his coaching badges.

The midfielder could have gone down the tried and tested Largs coaching route but his career had been shaped at the Westfalen Stadion and the Scot believed the German system could make him a better manager. Vorsprung durch Technik, perhaps.

Lambert said: "Berti is the man I have to thank for helping me get into coaching in my final season at Celtic.

"He put me in touch with Erich Rutermuller who ran the German FA course and I went to see him.

"He left me under no illusion as to how difficult it would be in terms of time management, because I was still playing for Celtic, and in terms of the language difficulties.

"It didn't put me off, though, and I came home to speak with Martin O'Neill and to see if he would allow me to do it.

"I'd have to be away from the club from Sunday to Thursday every week for seven months. It was a big ask of Celtic and if Martin had rejected my request I could have had no complaints because they were paying my wages.

"Martin asked for time to think about it and probably went to the board before coming back and giving me the green light.

"Celtic's only stipulation was that in an injury emergency they would want me back. That did happen twice but I always managed to catch up on the course.

"It was pretty daunting but it was what I wanted to do and I was determined to see it through - even if the first day reminded me of my first day at school, only at least I spoke the language at my school.

"There were 26 Germans, a Greek and myself and I wondered if I would fit in. But once I got into it I really enjoyed it.

"A friend got all the paperwork translated for me so I could go back to the hotel and study at night.

"Then I would fly home on the Thursday night, train with the Celtic boys on a Friday and almost invariably sit on the bench at the weekend.

After seven months I sat down in front of two examiners, a bundle of nerves, and by the end of it had a licence that will allow me to coach anywhere in Europe.

"To get on in life you can't always take the easy option. I like setting myself challenges and seeing them through.

"I got really interested in the psychology aspect of the game which was a big part of the course.

"It also included orthopaedic medicine, dealing with the media, how to sort out problems in the dressing room and sports science."

Lambert admits his pride at leading Norwich to back-to-back promotions has eclipsed any of his playing achievements, which include that Champions League win, four titles with Celtic and 40 Scotland caps.

He will tackle the Premiership head on and without fear.

Lambert added: "I never played in it but I don't need to be Einstein to sit here and think, 'it's going to be brilliant for us'.

"It will be great. The lads are going to enjoy it. However, if we are playing Manchester United one weekend then Arsenal on a Tuesday I might give a different answer. But it sounds good.

"The players wouldn't have done this if they weren't good. We will bring in players to help them but the lads who have got us there deserve the chance to give it a go."

MY SIN-BIN STINT WAS NIGHTMARE

Paul Lambert reckons the hardest part of his Norwich glory campaign was being sin-binned like old pal Neil Lennon.

Ex-Celtic and Scotland captain Lambert was still celebrating with his players yesterday after clinching promotion to the Barclays Premier League with a 1-0 win at Portsmouth.

However, it was being separated from those players with a touchline suspension last month that gave Lambert his toughest task.

He was banned from the dugout for two away games - at Nottingham Forest and Ipswich - and has vowed never to endure that again.

The 41-year-old said: "It was terrible watching from the stand. I have learned my lesson and hope not to have to go through that again. The fact we won both games at least meant the experience was not costly. But it was mental torture. I need to be in a dugout to communicate with players. A directors' box is not for me.

"The suspension meant I was only allowed in the dressing room until an hour before kick-off and not at half-time, which was frustrating.

"It was my own fault. I had complained to the ref in a game at Reading about Grant Holt being wrongly sent off. I had to take my punishment.

"However, I don't know how Neil Lennon could sit through five games like that at Celtic. Compared with the sentences given to managers in England it is shocking what Lenny had to put up with.

"People in Scotland should have a look at that. His ban was out of line."

While the main men in Norwich's return to the English top flight have been strikers Holt and Simeon Jackson, who netted 35 goals between them, Lambert has also used four former SPL stars - ex-Motherwell keeper John Ruddy, former St Mirren left-back Simon Lappin, Irish winger Wes Hoolahan, once with Livingston, and old Rangers foe Stephen Hughes.

You do realise what he has done with Norwich?

If not, i suggest you look it up.

Yeah he does. Just obviously doesn't think it's any kind of achievement worthwhile.

Apart from seemingly being a better tactician than MON - Paul Lambert like Poyet & Moyes

has a fearsome reputaton for not taking crappers off anyone!

Which I would imagine if he indeed becomes the new manager of AVFC is a highly sought after quality at BMH these days!

Although I hope & think there will be a Summer clear out of the troubled ones... any lingering bad influences on the younger members of the squad will surely need stamping out for sure.

Hope people who say they don't want Lambert aren't made to eat their words if we unveil Bruce or Curbishley.

I think Lambert would be an excellent appointment even if I'd be happy with some of the other choices too.

After Lerner's previous appointments of Houllier and latterly Mcleish, I'm absolutely astonished that anyone has anything negative to say about the possibility of us hiring Lambert. Going by Randy's track record, we should be expecting a Bruce or Mcarthy at best.