General Next Manager Topic?? (everything other than Lambert)

donnie

So what if we had spoke to him? Maybe the board are just compiling a list of candidates who would be interested? Makes sense to talk to the ones unattached first.

We don't want a situation like last year where we missed out on a good manager like Hughton, who was free and available. Every avenue should be explored (although like I've said in another thread, if it was down to me I'd go for Lambert end of!)

I have to admit, I really like Faulkners latest comments (article on skysports) about the vacant managerial position at Villa. Think it's spot on and I see no reason why we still can't attract most top managers in the game. McCarthy on the other isn't what I would regard as a top manager or even a capable manager. We should probably be looking abroad as well, although I feel Lambert or Martinez could do well for us, given time and proper resources.

You know what?

All these names being banded about really mean nothing to me...

I know I might get slated for this, but I just want a manager, (regardless of where he has been before, what he has/hasn't achieved or what is name is) who will progress the club.

I am not after overnight success or top class players (just yet). I am after someone that can get the players playing football again, someone that can consolidate our club and someone that the fans can relate to.

We are in the unfortunate position, I feel, of having to 'start from scratch' again and this feels like the days when DOL was sacked. Ok we got a very good manager (at the time) in the shape of MON.

I want someone to come in that 'cares' about the club, 'cares' about the fans and who is not just after another payday.

Father_Abraham wrote:

By the way, those laying into MysteryMan need to wind their necks in.

To be honest its not MM's fault, if the club was run in any way other than wrong we wouldn't need him with the ITK's. If the Villa was run properly we could all sit back and relax and wait for a good appoinment with the appropriate funds and backing to get us up to the top 6 but as we have seen with the last 2 attempts it's not likely to go well. Something will be missing, either funds, tactics, players, backroom staff or as we saw last season a clue. A major component will be missing and around and around we go. It's the same at transer time, ManUtd target and sign and have them on the pitch before we even get linked with Defoe. Even with months of planning most teams could not mess up as we have / will.

Maybe we are running ourselves down a little too much?

I understand what you are saying BOF but at the moment we are an ideal stepping stone for someone like AVB.

His reputation has been tarnished with Chelsea. He needs a club whereby he can prove himself again. Our club is a win win situation for any manager coming in. The club is in disarray from the top (boardroom) to us the fans. He would be welcomed in the same way that O'Neill was at the start of his tenure. He would be given time by the fan base due to his reputation before the Chelsea debacle and i have no doubt he would be given substantial funding to buy the sort of player that would turn us around as the wage structure with the further departure of Heskey will be under control. We would be a terrific challenge for someone like AVB. To awaken a sleeping giant and to be able to challenge the top six again just like Newcastle and Everton before them.

There's also something else. The surprise element! Yes expectations would be higher with AVB in charge but no-one would expect a team under threat of relegation to then challenge the top six the following season.

For me thats the biggest attraction for any top manager to come here. All we need is a bit of organization and the purchase of the right players to supplement what we already have.

Someone like AVB simply couldn't lose!

You know what?

All these names being banded about really mean nothing to me...

I know I might get slated for this, but I just want a manager, (regardless of where he has been before, what he has/hasn't achieved or what is name is) who will progress the club.

I am not after overnight success or top class players (just yet). I am after someone that can get the players playing football again, someone that can consolidate our club and someone that the fans can relate to.

We are in the unfortunate position, I feel, of having to 'start from scratch' again and this feels like the days when DOL was sacked. Ok we got a very good manager (at the time) in the shape of MON.

I want someone to come in that 'cares' about the club, 'cares' about the fans and who is not just after another payday.

I'd wager that every single supporter on this forum thinks the same way.

Apart from the bit about "all these names bandied about mean nothing to me," of course they do, their personalities and records give us clues as to how they would do should they join Villa.

i think ALL interviews for the Villa Manager job should be done on the half way line at Villa Park in front of 30k + fans.

Just like the days of gladiator, fans vote with a thumbs up, thumbs down approach.

Randy Lerner then stands up to rapturous applause and delivers his approval/disapproval.

Failing managers then get wrapped in bubble wrap, have their heads cut off and stuck on a stick, which is planted on the centre circle to remind the next candidate of just how big a job this is and how demanding us fans are.

Maybe we are running ourselves down a little too much?

I understand what you are saying BOF but at the moment we are an ideal stepping stone for someone like AVB.

His reputation has been tarnished with Chelsea. He needs a club whereby he can prove himself again. Our club is a win win situation for any manager coming in. The club is in disarray from the top (boardroom) to us the fans. He would be welcomed in the same way that O'Neill was at the start of his tenure. A second O'Neill if you like. He would be given time by the fan base due to his reputation before the Chelsea debacle and i have no doubt he would be given substantial funding to buy the sort of player that would turn us around as the wage structure with the further departure of Heskey will be under control. We would be a terrific challenge for someone like AVB. To awaken a sleeping giant and to be able to challenge the top six again just like Newcastle and Everton before them.

There's also something else. The surprise element! Yes expectations would be higher with AVB in charge but no-one would expect a team under threat of relegation to then challenge the top six the following season.

For me thats the biggest attraction for any top manager to come here. All we need is a bit of organization and the purchase of the right players to supplement what we already have.

Someone like AVB simply couldn't lose!

After which he'd no doubt **** off to Manchester or Madrid or somewhere similar. As you said, "stepping stone."

I think, after MON, we'd do well to avoid that.

AVB (unlikely but you live in hope)

van Gaal (ditto)

Martinez

Rodgers

Lambert

There are others but I'd be chuffed with anyone from that five.

add in

Benitez

Di Matteo

and i think most would think it is a strong or at least a promising list of potential managers, ranging from the best and most experienced, van gaal ( my choice) through to 3 young talented managers cutting thier teeth in the premier league

benitez being the other old experienced one

van gaal being my top choice but most of the others i would be happy to try, rogers im not too sure about though.

we have the chance to wipe the slate clean, we have got rid of the number 1 problem now, shift a couple players out, keep hold of cuellar and have some training sessions with the WHOLE squad, reserves and youth team to get everyone on board

i would not be happy with an alladyce, mccarthy, warnock type coach, they do decent enough playing limited footy, not something i want to go back to thanks.

i think ALL interviews for the Villa Manager job should be done on the half way line at Villa Park in front of 30k + fans.

Just like the days of gladiator, fans vote with a thumbs up, thumbs down approach.

Randy Lerner then stands up to rapturous applause and delivers his approval/disapproval.

Failing managers then get wrapped in bubble wrap, have their heads cut off and stuck on a stick, which is planted on the centre circle to remind the next candidate of just how big a job this is and how demanding us fans are.

Great idea, that might just work ;)

Well the Shrposhire Star seem convinced we've contacted Mick.

Shrposhire Star? Hardly the newspaper that broke Watergate was it....

even a stopped clock is right once a day.

Twice :(

AVB did wonders at Porto, brought in heaps of players at next to nothing, but sold them when they got a profile in Europe, much to the profit for the club. Not sure I`d like to go through that constantly, as one of our many mistakes has been selling off our better players in the past. Sort of supplier club for the top clubs.

Can follow the opinion that is one of the reasons he left Porto for Chelsea (the other being the cash, of course). TBF Portugal has traditionally been a gateway into Europe for many a South American who then goes on to bigger things, so he could be seen as setting forth a tradition in some respects, but they also nurture home grown talent at an incredible rate. Cannot see him comming here though, unless our academy set up was to turn his head and think twice. Whichever way, very young and ambitious manager. Sadly had little chance at Chelsea from the outset, as expectrations there are high, and not easy to get an established group of superstars (some of whom are around his own age) playing a newer system. Seems he had the dressing room against him from the off. RDM has done very well there so far, and can well imagine him keeping the position if they win the CL on Saturday (not impossible). He`s up against one of the most experienced managers going though. Very clever tactician, but has lost out against Dortmund, driven by a much younger man, new ideas, fresh approach, etc.

Whoever we have comming in, it is imperitive that he or she can make an impact on the squad and management. Keeping hold of our better players is very important.

We have to stop our club selling of the assets from the field of play if we are actually aiming to get somewhere in this difficult league.

Well the Shrposhire Star seem convinced we've contacted Mick.

Shrposhire Star? Hardly the newspaper that broke Watergate was it....

even a stopped clock is right once a day.

Twice :(

Not if it's 24-hour digital!

:lol:

I think it might just put off managers applying though, unfortuantely.