General Next Manager Topic?? (everything other than Lambert)

donnie

Collymore on TS this afternoon seems to think RL/PF have four managers on the radar - 2 current PL managers and 2 currently out of work managers.

If it's true it means they've changed their recruitment policy this time which is good to hear.

He did say this before AMcL had actually been sacked though...

You really are underestimating our players and Martinez. Wigan and for that matter Swansea don’t have better squads than us. They play a simple style of possession football that our players are capable of adapting to.

These teams are not some form of English Barcelona. I suggest you watch a few of Wigan and Swansea’s games. Their players are average premiership players (at best). All they have proven is that you can play nice, neat possession football in the Premiership and get by with a squad of average players. Out squad is superior and our finances are much superior. There is no reason to believe Martinez would not be a success here.

I don't think I said Wigan or Swansea had better squads than us. I think Wigan's squad is largely shit, whilst ours is merely poor, and Swansea have a few decent players but generally you'd figure are a little behind us. Regardless, we need work. McLeish was a hideous poor manager but we also have a poor squad, thin and lacking much in the way of outstanding talent.

I also don't think I said either of these teams play like Barca. I didn't actually mention Swansea at all in fact. What I did say was that Martinez insists his teams play 'pretty' football. And suffer for it. I have watched a little of Wigan this season. They were awful. For all that they are a poor side, as is undeniable (and is also undeniable that that is partly down to Martinez's signings... a criticism I did make of the man), they are made worse by the fact he insists on playing this style that rarely works for them. Earlier this season every pundit in the land were saying Wigan were done for, they were woefully bad in defence, couldn't score, and looked hopeless. Martinez had the man who he apparently has a superb relationship with, his boss, just 2 months ago, criticise him publically and quite damningly. Because they were terrible.

Thats Martinez's fault. I won't let a miraculous final month of the campaign blind me to the fact his Wigan side are, and have been, under him, usually **** awful. All Martinez has proven is that he can snatch survival from the jaws of relegation at the death a couple of times.

Our squad is superior to Wigans... but not by much. And we have to remember that Houllier had a brief fling with tippy tappy football with a far stronger side than we have now, and it didn't work. He achieved more hoofing it and hitting on the break.

I also would contest that we have markedly superior finances. Our net spends in recent years have been laughable, money spent came from sales of assets that were never replaced. We seem rather loathe to spend.

I contest Martinez would be a failure, an experiment that will doom us. He would arrive and overnight insist we play completely different football, a completely different philosophy that we simply do not have players in experienced in. And he would insist on this above all else. We cannot afford to do that, we must make the most of what we have already and, sadly for some, thats going to be a case of returning to the simple football of countering, getting back to very old school basics. Once we've got that, we can hopefully augment the squad and bring in elements of 'better' football.

AVB going to valencia i think? and not sure he'd be interested as i reckon he'll want a crack at champs league and winning things. not somethign we offer right now.

we need someone who can get the youngsters playing good football together to make the heart of the team kids that have grown up together playign good footy and will give everything for the shirt (and don't earn as much as we have been paying ;) ). then that someone should get in a few older players with real technical quality and experience to help the kids on. this someone woudl then be looking to get us top 6 again for a couple of years before we think about kicking on from there!

who the **** this someone is i don't know. lambert has won everything as a player, and played under some great managers, he's earned his crack at bigger things by doing wonders at wycombe and norwich. he could probably do a good job here. martinez i think could maybe be better suited to the project of moulding the heart and soul of the team from our youngsters (who i think are miles better than they were allowed to be by AM) and getting a good style of football going.

can we get either though? norwich saying they'll fight to keep hold of lambert, martinez already knocked us back 12 months ago.

who does that realistically leave that could manage to do what we need? i think we might do well to look further afield than the prem for a manager. someone who has done that sort of building job with a young squad before and would love a crack at the premiership...

Collymore on TS this afternoon seems to think RL/PF have four managers on the radar - 2 current PL managers and 2 currently out of work managers.

If it's true it means they've changed their recruitment policy this time which is good to hear.

He did say this before AMcL had actually been sacked though...

Could easily be Lambert & Martinez, possibly Rodgers. But the two out of work could be anything from AVB & Rafa to Curbs & Bruce.

Is AVB unrealistic?

I think so, but no harm in checking if he's interested.

AVB? We are deluded. It was Ancelloti last year and we ended up dodging McLaren to end up with Mcleish.

i assume moyes will be top of the list again, and if lerner is willing to pump in money to fix this mess, then i think we might have a good chance of getting him this time

failing that, lambert would definitely be second on the list

for the unemployed managers that stan reckons, maybe capello and villas boas if lerner really wants to go for a big name?

I'm quite convinced Martinez would be an unholy disaster of an appointment.

Why?

Well as Trent noted he'd be an improvement on McLeish, but we could erect a scarecrow in the dugout and see a marked improvement so it's not saying much.

The problem with Martinez is he places style over everything. He forces his teams to play in a manner he deems appropriate even when it risks the clubs survival. Lets not forget that, despite their admittedly remarkable resurgence at the end of this season, they were shit for much of it, and they've been shit for much of his reign. And it a lot of comes down to the fact he insists on this style of football that rarely works for them. He's gotten away with it, just about, thus far, but I'm sure Wigan fans would prefer not to snatch survival from the jaws of relegation year on year and I'm convinced they would be more... comfortable if they were managed by someone with a bit of pragmatism.

He's also bought a load of rubbish in his time.

I don't think we have the players to make the most of his game style, and I think we'd be awful under him as he insisted on a style of football unsuitable for our situation. Given that we're also arguably in a rather fragile position right now (weak squad, lots of work needing doing and, you can assume, not a whole lot to fix it with), I wouldn't want to gamble on him. I think he'd have us lose and lose a lot.

No... no thanks to Martinez. I said as much last year, and I think the same now, now amount of miracle turn arounds makes me ignore the fact that his Wigan have been terrible much, much more often than not. And a lot of that is his fault - it's possible to make teams out-perform themselves, O'Neill made his career off it, but it requires simplicity and playing to the strengths you have. Martinez insists his teams play in the manner he wants, not what fits it.

Lambert is a better fit for our team imo. We have a team that doesn't suit itself to 'technical' football, a holdover from O'Neill, and Lambert can make use of that and build on it imo.

You really are underestimating our players and Martinez. Wigan and for that matter Swansea don’t have better squads than us. They play a simple style of possession football that our players are capable of adapting to.

These teams are not some form of English Barcelona. I suggest you watch a few of Wigan and Swansea’s games. Their players are average premiership players (at best). All they have proven is that you can play nice, neat possession football in the Premiership and get by with a squad of average players. Out squad is superior and our finances are much superior. There is no reason to believe Martinez would not be a success here.

An interesting and well written exchange of views between Chindie and Villastine on Lambert and Martinez.

I think that both candidates are good young managers, but personally favour Villastines' compelling argument for Martinezs' abilty to produce good football from very average players.

Chindie makes a good point about Lambert playing simple football that utilises the strengths of his squad. I believe that PL would be a safe pair of hands, but I want our next appointment to offer more than that.

Imo Martinez doesn't complicate things too much (he couldn't with the standard of squad that he has at Wigan.) What he has done is coach the confidence to want to own the ball into fairly average players. He will win enough matches to keep us safe while our squad build their confidence, to the point where our players once again enjoy playing attractive football.

Mcwotsisname to AVB?

Now would'nt that be from the ridiculous to the sublime :lol:

Lambert, Martinez to be realisistic.....but possibly the FSW as an outside bet?

it all depends on whether randy is willing to open the chequebook or not i suppose

That bit worries the shit out of me.

You just know it means Rafa, Sven, Curbishley, McCarthy etc

A BIG FAT **** NO TO ALL OF THEM!

It has to be someone fresh with new ideas. Not some quick fix dour lifeless has been (all the 4 mentioned)

BE BOLD, BE BRAVE!

It all depends on Lerners plans for Aston Villa.

Lerner has 2 choices now

1. he appoints somebody like Adkins/Lambert and tells them to sell before they can buy and offload the higher earners like Bent,Ireland,Gabby etc and replace them with players from abroad or the lower leagues and continue the cost slashing exercise

2. he pumps money in and appoints someone like Rafa and gives him £50-£80m to try and break the top 4 again.

I personally think option 1 is where Lerner is at and even though McLeish is gone I dont expect Villa to be anymore than a mid table mediocre team for the next few years while Lerner balances the books. Whilst I belive we will improve now McLeish has gone I dont think the next few years at Villa are going to herald much at all.