General Next Manager Topic?? (everything other than Lambert)

donnie

Any link we've had to any manager is just complete bollocks IMO.

I can't see Randy even putting the feelers out for managers untill the situation with McLeish is done and official. That's if there's going to be a change at all, and personally I think McLeish will stay.

http://www.record.xl.pt/Futebol/Internacional/interior.aspx?content_id=756076

Villas Boas may sign for 5 years with Villa. He will lead an ambicious project.

This can only mean one thing

The QIA bid is going through

I think there are definitely parties interested in taking the club on, but I do not think they are 'QIA' related nor do I think Randy will step down just yet.

I don't understand how you can think that Morpheus. Honestly I don't. If you think any manager would only do as well as McLeish has, then you must think McLeish has done fairly OK and that it is solely down to the 'present conditions' rather than him contributing too.

The point i'm trying to make 'BOF' is that the squad is so poor. Apart from Bent and Ireland i don't see much else for any manager to work with and gain the type of improvement we all wish for.

Reading many posts on VT the general consensus is realism. We are not going to challenge any time soon for Champion League places but the squad must be overhauled in the summer to at least give us hope that something can be achieved as far as silverware is concerned in cup competitions and to at least give us the fans some pride back in our team.

I think Mcleish has been given a poison chalice. A club in decline suffering from the consequences of mismanagement from the board and previous managers.

McLeish has however compounded this by his own tactical mistakes, not playing to whatever ability left within our squad. I was particularly annoyed at the way in which our team was set up against Man U at Old Trafford as we had nothing to lose by having a go at them. As Dwight Yorke said 'a free hit!'

He has also been hampered by injuries, or loss of form to key players and not having the quality available to replace those players adequately, particularly at the business end of the season and its a pity his best signing Keane was not available to play in our run in, as i am in no doubt this would have made a big difference to where we currently are in the league. It was no fluke either that we played much better football with Keane in the team as he was head and shoulders above anything else in our squad.

So for me that is and has been the crux of the problem. Not enough quality in our squad also compounded by mismanagement and until we get both right we won't be achieving anything soon.

I don't understand how you can think that Morpheus. Honestly I don't. If you think any manager would only do as well as McLeish has, then you must think McLeish has done fairly OK and that it is solely down to the 'present conditions' rather than him contributing too.

The point i'm trying to make 'BOF' is that the squad is so poor. Apart from Bent and Ireland i don't see much else for any manager to work with and gain the type of improvement we all wish for.

Reading many posts on VT the general consensus is realism. We are not going to challenge any time soon for Champion League places but the squad must be overhauled in the summer to at least give us hope that something can be achieved as far as silverware is concerned in cup competitions and to at least give us the fans some pride back in our team.

I think Mcleish has been given a poison chalice. A club in decline suffering from the consequences of mismanagement from the board and previous managers.

McLeish has however compounded this by his own tactical mistakes, not playing to whatever ability left within our squad. I was particularly annoyed at the way in which our team was set up against Man U at Old Trafford as we had nothing to lose by having a go at them. As Dwight Yorke said 'a free hit!'

He has also been hampered by injuries, or loss of form to key players and not having the quality available to replace those players adequately, particularly at the business end of the season and its a pity his best signing Keane was not available to play in our run in, as i am in no doubt this would have made a big difference to where we currently are in the league. It was no fluke either that we played much better football with Keane in the team as he was head and shoulders above anything else in our squad.

So for me that is and has been the crux of the problem. Not enough quality in our squad also compounded by mismanagement and until we get both right we won't be achieving anything soon.

Take a look at wigans, swanseas, fulhams, norwichs and stokes squads and tell me he's done okay this year.

Yes he's had injury problems to key players but we were equally as shit early in the season before the injuries piled up.

Thing is now we've been linked with AVB if we do actually get rid of McLeish and go after someone like Lambert, Martinez or Rodgers some people will complain about it not being AVB.

Can't we be linked to Megson, Bruce or Avram Grant then anyone else we get will be welcomed with open arms.

Unless Lerner has got a £60-£100 million cheque in his pocket for players, there is not a cats chance in hell AVB would come here. Would be good though to have a manager called Villas.

Take a look at wigans, swanseas, fulhams, norwichs and stokes squads and tell me he's done okay this year.

Yes he's had injury problems to key players but we were equally as shit early in the season before the injuries piled up.

I'm not saying he's done ok. Where have i said that in my post?

I don't believe he is the manager to take us forward as his tactical awareness is awful and i was totally against him coming here but there have been obvious circumstances which haven't helped him in his tenure and i don't think that should be ignored just so that we only highlight his mistakes.

My new avatar should leave you in no doubt what i think of McLeish. :winkold:

Failed with Chelsea so he is probably looking at managing a club on the rise. We have been failing the last few seasons but one decent manager could turn that around. If lerner would give him around 20m to spend, I am sure Boas could get us to be top 8. Then the following season give him some more transfer funds and who knows. I'd support Boas.

Would LOVE AVB... 5 year plan... build from solid foundations... he gets us playing in the CL... Win a few domestic cups along the way... We name a stand after him... SIMPLE

Then I wake up and smell the horrible stench of another season with McNotAVB :(

Seriously though, there is 0% chance of Villas-Boas coming here

Even though his stock has dropped slightly, the Gent concurs.

Villa need a fellow/s who can reshape the club top to bottom. The 5 year 'Enema' project. Maybe a DOF and head coach team.

Need a vastly improved scouting network, develop a style and identity with a view to educate the players in this identity. Involve local communities. Like dutch clubs, provide floodlit pitches, heated changing rooms and Aston Villa Kits to youngsters for all abilities. Get them involved with a emphasis on fun and individualism, rather than "break his legs Billy, win at all costs". In turn, will regain the support of local youngsters who heads are usually turned by the bright lights of the 'sky sports' teams. This Gentleman had the privilege of visiting the San Mames in Bilbao recently, the club is interwoven into the community. Locals truly feel apart of Athletic, it was truly awe inspiring. The Basque emphasis may play an important role is this relationship.

The issue is wider, is a football club a business motivated to gain sponsorship/make profit or an arm of the community, aimed at entertaining and identifying with the locals. Or is it a combination of both? Can both exist in the same realm.

Major money clubs like Manchester Utd claim to purport the identity of the local community but is it just lip service to keep the mechanism of business turning and generating profit. The majority of German football clubs are required to have 51% membership, look at CL finalist Bayern for a fan owned fantasy. Things just are not right in this country.

Wonder if it will end with us hiring a turd manager in the 5th year and nearly getting relegated?

or worse... hiring an overrated turd selfish manager in the 1st year and nearly going bankrupt...

:winkold: sorry couldn't resist

Seriously though, there is 0% chance of Villas-Boas coming here

Even though his stock has dropped slightly, the Gent concurs.

Villa need a fellow/s who can reshape the club top to bottom. The 5 year 'Enema' project. Maybe a DOF and head coach team.

Need a vastly improved scouting network, develop a style and identity with a view to educate the players in this identity. Involve local communities. Like dutch clubs, provide floodlit pitches, heated changing rooms and Aston Villa Kits to youngsters for all abilities. Get them involved with a emphasis on fun and individualism, rather than "break his legs Billy, win at all costs". In turn, will regain the support of local youngsters who heads are usually turned by the bright lights of the 'sky sports' teams. This Gentleman had the privilege of visiting the San Mames in Bilbao recently, the club is interwoven into the community. Locals truly feel apart of Athletic, it was truly awe inspiring. The Basque emphasis may play an important role is this relationship.

The issue is wider, is a football club a business motivated to gain sponsorship/make profit or an arm of the community, aimed at entertaining and identifying with the locals. Or is it a combination of both? Can both exist in the same realm.

Major money clubs like Manchester Utd claim to purport the identity of the local community but is it just lip service to keep the mechanism of business turning and generating profit. The majority of German football clubs are required to have 51% membership, look at CL finalist Bayern for a fan owned fantasy. Things just are not right in this country.

fantastic post! I concur.