General Next Manager Topic?? (everything other than Lambert)

donnie

The thought of Martinez as villa boss is totally underwhelming & uninspiring

The hype surrounding the man has been sensationalised beyond all belief, anyone would think he's the reincarnation of Bill Shankly

I don't think its Martinez.

I spoke with a baggies fan this morning who seems to be well in with the hierachy at west brom. He said WBA made tentative enquiries - but Martinez is quite happy to stay at wigan .....for the long term - he had talks with Liverpool - yes - but it was always odds on that he would stay with Wigan.

Martinez and Whelan are closer friends that what the reports in the media suggest. He didn't even think villa had asked about Martinez this time - and it would be completley out of character for him to have secret talks without Whelans knowledge.

With the level of changes our squad needs, there's only 1 outstanding candidate for me - Rafa Benitez

That bloke knows how to make wholesale changes and has great international contacts

& his net spend at Liverpool was quite low

How many managers throughout history have not flirted with relegation, how well teams perform tends to reflect their ambition, wigan were never going to try and get into Europe but to miss relegation and be mid table, also to make enough money to survive, with their fan base and income that means selling players every year, to remain in the premier league every year to me is a hell of an achievement,

For me its a case of ambition

If we want to achieve something at Villa you go out and get the manager to do this if we were ambitious we would go for a manager such as AVB or Rafa

I fully expect us not to do this and go for someone like Martinez.

Why?

Because its the same old Villa it always has been we talk the talk but never walk the walk

How many managers throughout history have not flirted with relegation, how well teams perform tends to reflect their ambition, wigan were never going to try and get into Europe but to miss relegation and be mid table, also to make enough money to survive, with their fan base and income that means selling players every year, to remain in the premier league every year to me is a hell of an achievement,

Both Steve Bruce & Paul Jewel got them higher up the league than Martinez

Don't get me wrong i would prefer Rafa or AVB to Martinez but maybe we are unable to attract that calibre of manager at present.

I just don't believe that Martinez would be as horrific as some are making out.

All i can us us doing with Martinez at the helm with the current crop of players is us losing more games than we did last season rather than drawing them

I do not see Lerner putting enough investment into the club to make him a success.

With the level of changes our squad needs, there's only 1 outstanding candidate for me - Rafa Benitez

That bloke knows how to make wholesale changes and has great international contacts

Look at how well he spent it, 20 odd million on Glen Johnson, 20 odd million on Aquilani. Real quality!

There is no hype over Martinez. The crux of the matter is he would try to get us playing football. For that, I would be happy.

Look at how well he spent it, 20 odd million on Glen Johnson, 20 odd million on Aquilani. Real quality!

There is no hype over Martinez. The crux of the matter is he would try to get us playing football. For that, I would be happy.

Yep - I'm not really seeing many posts on the hype of RM. OGS was hype. Martinez should just be a good appointment.

Both Steve Bruce & Paul Jewel got them higher up the league than Martinez

Times change, I have never seen leagues like the last 2 seasons with so little points difference between the top 4 and bottom of the league, the league used to be 3 tier but is now to an extent 2 tier, ever team seems capable of beating any other team where no one is scared at having a crack at the big boys, there is not alot of difference in the bottom 10 teams. It used to be if you play the bottom teams you expect 3 points, not even the top teams can rely on this now.

Hell if we won 4 more games then we could have been in the top 10, this was achievable if we had took chances and did not set out to draw.

There is a reason steve Bruce is out of work and RM is in demand.

Torres? Alonso? Mascherano?

Aquilani is a good player as well, just injured when he was at Liverpool. He has been great now he's recovered back in Italy.

Glen Johnson I will give you though :P

I am still hoping the board surprise me and appoint Lambert, but given some of the other choices I would take Martinez. He will need the truck load that Marsh refered to though to reshape this squad of ours

Add another £30m into the mix with Robbie Keane (19m) and Ryan Babel (11m).

The thought of Martinez as villa boss is totally underwhelming & uninspiring

The hype surrounding the man has been sensationalised beyond all belief, anyone would think he's the reincarnation of Bill Shankly

This! No real money to spend with us so at best keep us up. I would rather gamble with a young up and coming manager.

If he gets it I hope he proves me wrong.

No I dont like the fact that we would be his back up option but to be fair how many managers have we gone for and gone for a "back up" works both ways.

I want something new and fresh down VP, something for the future