General Next Manager Topic?? (everything other than Lambert)

donnie

Given the difference in style between what Martinez plays and what our squad is currently used to, I'd say the best chance Martinez would have of succeeding is by being given a good budget to work with so he can bring in his own kind of players. More so than most other managers. So IF Martinez gets it, I would really hope he'd be given a (cliché alert) war chest.

:thumb:

I agree with that. If Martinez is considered the man for the job, I believe that Randy has decided, with a new vision and direction plus the necessary funds available to him - RM can lead Villa back to a team that plays attractive football that entertains the crowd.

Some will no doubt argue if funds are available, why can't we attract a better manager. Although keeping Wigan up by the skin of their teeth isn't exactly a glowing reference, Martinez is a great thinker of the game, still learning his craft and has exactly the right philosophy we have been lacking at our club for some time. I would be more than happy with Robbbbbbbbbbberto.

Why would he not even talk to us last year and take the job this year?

Because, as was said at the time, he'd got a gentlemen's agreement with Whelan that he'd stay at Wigan for one more year.

I am starting to feel more confident about us landing Martinez tonight. He was my top choice before Ole came on the scene and I think he'd do a great job for us.

I think he'd be foolish to stay at Wigan another season if there are offers to get out. Even a very good manager could find themselves relegated with that club.

Same. Martinez has always been my top realistic choice pre and post OGS. I feel he'd be a more revolutionary appointment than Lambert. He might also bring along the likes of Figueroa and Diame, where as I think Lambert would bring Holt and that's something I really don't want.

Ditto chaps!

Like others, I'd be happy with Lambert, Martinez, Poyet, Rodgers etc etc, but Martinez was my original, realistic choice before the OGS saga.

I'm certain Lerner would be more than happy to give him complete control of our footballing philosophy from top to bottom. If he can bring a couple of gems with him, to start the 'rebuild revolution' then brilliant!

I can see why he'd turn down Liverpool for us aswell. It's not a simple case of 'he lacks ambition'. There's the fact that we would give him complete control and not place a DOF above him. Also, at Liverpool, if he doesn't get into the Top 4 in the first season, there's every chance that the owners would sack him.

Liverpool are shit. It would take Mourinho or Pep to get them in the Top 4.

At Villa, Martinez would get a free ride for the first season (which is what he needs if he is to implement his style and gradually get rid of the riff raff).

Bring him in Randy!!!!!! Bring him in!!!!!!

is it just me or does anyone else feel like telling him to p#ss off now he isnt liverpools first choice that he'd "consider" our option...

appreciate despite their best attempts to induce ridicule, redscouse are still a bigger club than us mind you.

as an aside i'd love to see wigan get relegated on the back of dave whelan's senile ramblings this week. SSN must love him

is it just me or does anyone else feel like telling him to p#ss off now he isnt liverpools first choice that he'd "consider" our option...

appreciate despite their best attempts to induce ridicule, redscouse are still a bigger club than us mind you.

as an aside i'd love to see wigan get relegated on the back of dave whelan's senile ramblings this week. SSN must love him

Ha! If it turns out to be Martinez he's not going to know how to act when dealing with RL. Talk about night and day in owners. Randy doesn't say shit when shit is needed to be said and Whelan talks shit when shit should not be talked.

From what I heard before he went to talk to Liverpool is he has always wanted to come to us more. Have you ever thought he talked to Liverpool out of respect? I mean if they are interested enough to approach him the least he can do is hear them out and see if their plans match what he wants. It doesn't mean he wanted them more, it just means he's smart and isn't going to commit the next 5 years of his life without talking to other options first.

Whilst all roads point to Martinez I have a feeling it might not be him.

Moi aussi... things MIGHT have changed as we saw from OGS saga.... but Kendrick and a few others have said we were defo NOT waiting on Liverpools cast offs.

I wouldn't rule Lambert out at all or indeed someone else off the radar.

From what I heard before he went to talk to Liverpool is he has always wanted to come to us more. Have you ever thought he talked to Liverpool out of respect? I mean if they are interested enough to approach him the least he can do is hear them out and see if their plans match what he wants. It doesn't mean he wanted them more, it just means he's smart and isn't going to commit the next 5 years of his life without talking to other options first.

dont disagree but if more interested in us then he's hidden it well. dave whelan will be livid if he comes to us - he'd be a brilliant pantomine dame at christmas

Hardly the most robust of articles/sources

Why would Martinez come now?

This could get really messy once motor mouth Dave winds his mouth up and starts on sky bbc ESPN pathe news

So have we decided it's Martinez?

My concern with him is that basically his "success" has been to avoid relegation. But hey, maybe that's where we're at right now...

Wouldn't be disappointed with Martinez. He would make us interesting again plus I think the likes of Gardner, Bannan, Ireland, N'zgobia and Albrighton would do well under his style.

My concern with him is that basically his "success" has been to avoid relegation. But hey, maybe that's where we're at right now...

Yeah - that's pretty much where we are at.

Also, Martinez has a reputation for overhauling the entire playing squad from youth up to first team to get them playing the same style. This is something we really need.

Yeh.. I'm not sure what he's achieved at Wigan that Bruce didn't also achieve there?

Would much prefer Lambert myself.

How many times do we have to go over the comparison with Steve effing Bruce! Does Martinez have a side with Valencia, Palacios, Heskey, Cattermole, Baines? The first two bought in a combined 30million which has been nowhere to be seen in terms of reinvestment! He has worked miracles on a shoestring budget, ask yourself did Dave Whelan act like this when interest in Bruce came? No because he's a smart man knows full well that RM has done a great job in keeping the side up!

I still prefer Lambert, he has that steely no nonsense air to him and that's just what we need. IMO he is a MON with a plan B who isn't limited by a glass ceiling.

Martinez flirts with relegation all too often and at times seems to get lucky and stay up (apart from this year) in the run up to Christmas they were awful and the worst team at VP last season IMO.

I doubt Martinez has ever coached defending?

Yes Martinez hasn't coached defending, but kept a clean sheet against a title chasing United, a win at a place where AM said we shouldn't expect to win at Arsenal, a clean sheet against a Newcastle consisting of Cisse. Least we're likely to win in March April unlike MON so it's a positive!