Jan transfer window - rumours, speculation & suggestions

OnePablo

I'm not surprised that we've we've been linked with the likes of Xavier. I seem to remember that when MON first took over a few Celtic fans came on the site and said that we'd be bewildered and frustrated be a few of his signings, they weren't exactly jumping through hoops when Lennon signed at Celtic Park.

Martin O"neill is typical Fergie/Clough school, in that he couldn't give a toss if a soigning upsets anyone, he will sign who he wants and will thrive on proving us all wrong.

O'Neill will NOT care whther we hate a player or not, he will sign who HE wants regardless. As for bugets. Rubbish. We have no budget. It is, as always will be under RL and MON, that Martion will say who he wants and how much he will cost, Randy will then say yes or no. Simple as, then Martin will either accept or argue the case. No 'here is your budget' crap, just simple 'you want him, how much? oh okay if it's reasonable go ahead' stuff.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not surprised that we've we've been linked with the likes of Xavier. I seem to remember that when MON first took over a few Celtic fans came on the site and said that we'd be bewildered and frustrated be a few of his signings, they weren't exactly jumping through hoops when Lennon signed at Celtic Park.

Martin O"neill is typical Fergie/Clough school, in that he couldn't give a toss if a soigning upsets anyone, he will sign who he wants and will thrive on proving us all wrong.

O'Neill will NOT care whther we hate a player or not, he will sign who HE wants regardless. As for bugets. Rubbish. We have no budget. It is, as always will be under RL and MON, that Martion will say who he wants and how much he will cost, Randy will then say yes or no. Simple as, then Martin will either accept or argue the case. No 'here is your budget' crap, just simple 'you want him, how much? oh okay if it's reasonable go ahead' stuff.

Exactly

If for example, we all want SWP (god knows why) and MON feels that he is not what we need then i for one trust him i have no reason not too. He knows more about football for starters!

Exactly

If for example, we all want SWP (god knows why) and MON feels that he is not what we need then i for one trust him i have no reason not too. He knows more about football for starters!

Definately. Id love us to sign SWP but if MON doesnt want him then thats good enough for me. He will build his squad and be ultimately judged on it.

Definately. Id love us to sign SWP but if MON doesnt want him then thats good enough for me. He will build his squad and be ultimately judged on it.

I would die a little inside if we signed SWP. But everyone already knows that.

As for bugets. Rubbish. We have no budget. It is, as always will be under RL and MON, that Martion will say who he wants and how much he will cost, Randy will then say yes or no. Simple as, then Martin will either accept or argue the case. No 'here is your budget' crap, just simple 'you want him, how much? oh okay if it's reasonable go ahead' stuff.

Budgets = rubbish??

Look, we have a very successful and professional businessman for our new chairman. Professional business is conducted with planning and budgets have to play a huge part.

Your Victorian idea might work if we had no time restraints and could buy players one at a time but this is a high pressure situation where I hope we will be bidding on 6-10 players with the idea of ending up with 3 or 4. If I were Martin or Randy, I would want a budget in place to be able to deal with that.

As for bugets. Rubbish. We have no budget. It is, as always will be under RL and MON, that Martion will say who he wants and how much he will cost, Randy will then say yes or no. Simple as, then Martin will either accept or argue the case. No 'here is your budget' crap, just simple 'you want him, how much? oh okay if it's reasonable go ahead' stuff.

Budgets = rubbish??

Look, we have a very successful and professional businessman for our new chairman. Professional business is conducted with planning and budgets have to play a huge part.

Your Victorian idea might work if we had no time restraints and could buy players one at a time but this is a high pressure situation where I hope we will be bidding on 6-10 players with the idea of ending up with 3 or 4. If I were Martin or Randy, I would want a budget in place to be able to deal with that.

Okay show me where the Cleveland Browns have had a set busget when it comes to signing players? No, Randy looks at who he and his coaches feel they need to strengthen and they go for that player.

We have no budget, just player availability.

I can assure you that Marlon is definetly a Londoner. He came through the Forest youth sides but he was originally from London.

I'm not sure I understand why everyone is so upset that we may/may not be interested in him. OK he's not a superstar, but he is a decent player. Don't forget the transfer window has another 28 days to run. If he signs tomorrow, it doesn't mean he is the only player being signed, perhaps we can't get the striker we want for a reasonable fee, perhaps the rest of the budget is earmarked for top draw players in other positions. Lets face it, we need at least one player in every position on the park.

Sit back, enjoy the ride and hopefully we'll be in decent shape come February 1st, if not as long as we finish above the relegation places, wait until the summer.

I thought in American football you don't sign players as such (with a transfer fee I mean), isn't it a draft system and some sort of swapping? Salaries are a lot more though.

I might be way out, I don't really know much about it.

Each franchise has a salary cap don't they? New players (from College) are signed via a draft, the order of which is determined by previous seasons finish (reverse order). Players are also traded between teams but I think this is either as a 'free transfer' or traded for positions or picks in the draft.

Don't the Browns have a reputaion for paying top dollar to their players? Did they not sign a guy a few seasons back who didn;t play through injury yet paid him a shiteload in wages anyway?

I seem to remember when Randy became chairman the buzz was that he had a reputatioon for paying what he had to to get his man? I just think idf that's the case we can kiss budgets goodbye and say hi to Martin's assessment of players and transfer fees.

I haven't been up on US football this year, but in general you don't see much in-season player movement in the NFL, for a variety of reasons. When you do, it's usually a result of a team picking up a player who was cut by another team. The NFL system is completely different in terms of finances and player movement; you can't really make a comparison.

The earlier poster might have been thinking of the signing of quarterback Jeff Garcia a couple years ago, who was pretty good with the San Francisco 49ers, but not so good with Cleveland. He was picked up by Philadelphia earlier this year and has since resurrected his career.

My feeling is this: Randy Lerner just invested a boat-load of money in this club, with the understanding that they are a perennial Premiership side. If they were to be relegated, it would be a HUGE financial disaster for him. So, if he has any sense he will look at where Villa is in the table, see that relegation is not out of the question, and do whatever it takes to make sure they stay up. He can't afford to take any chances.

Harewood? No thank you very much never a chanse in hell I very much hope.

Ferguson? Maybe, but hope we go for better. (said by someone who earlier said he would be excited with any signing. That wasn't really true, I suppose. :oops: )

I don't have any suggestions anymore. I just want to sit back and wait for things to happen. :)

going by what MON said when asked by SkySports after the Chelsea game... he doesnt sound confident of getting anyone.......

According to some that will be some sort of super tactic on MON's part!!

I hope it is. Id be extremely disappointed if he brought in some wasteful signings ie Sutton Agathe. He has had plenty of time to look at our squad and see what we want and plenty of time to search for players that he can get.. Plan A..B or C... not another 'short term' signing is needed.

Heres hoping anyway.

going by what MON said when asked by SkySports after the Chelsea game... he doesnt sound confident of getting anyone.......

According to some that will be some sort of super tactic on MON's part!!

I believe so. I think MON toys with the media whenever he can. I dont mean this to sound bad but you cant trust what he says because i daresay in his mind he has very different plans.