Weeekends football 31 March/1 April

andykeenan

Saturday

Premiership

Everton home against Albion Norwich travel to Fulham Man City home against Sunderland London derby between QPR & Arsenal Stoke away at Wigan big game at the bottom Bolton away at Wolves

Championship

Blackpool against Southampton live on BBC 2 5.20 Middlesbrough make long trip to Brighton Derby away at Bristol City Cardiff home against Millwall Palace home against Nottm Forest Coventry away at Hull Ipswich home against Barnsley Leeds home against Watford Peterborough home against Leicester Burnley aweay at Portsmouth big game at the top 3v 2nd West Ham v Reading

Sunday

Premiership

Newcastle home against Liverpoo 1.30 Swansea away at Spurs live on Sky

Ronaldo and/or Messi will probably get a tally this season in La liga that will never be beaten ever I think.

Who knows what the future will bring, but with 8 games remaining Ronaldo will probably end up around 45 goals and that

is absolutely unbeatable! 37 goals in his 29 games equals 1,275 goals per game. So 8 more games and that is 10 goals,

around 47 goals if he follows his ratio. 93 games for Real Madrid and 103 goals.

Yeah, the Cristiano Ronaldo not being fit to lace Brazilian Ronaldo's boots argument loses credibility every day. It's weird how Cristiano Ronaldo is almost becoming a forgotten man of football when you think about just how incredible his exploits have been. He is incredibly unfortunate be playing at the same time as Leo Messi and to have a namesake who absolutely lit up world football.

Yeah, the Cristiano Ronaldo not being fit to lace Brazilian Ronaldo's boots argument loses credibility every day. It's weird how Cristiano Ronaldo is almost becoming a forgotten man of football when you think about just how incredible his exploits have been. He is incredibly unfortunate be playing at the same time as Leo Messi and to have a namesake who absolutely lit up world football.

So true with regards to your first point. I actually thing the Portugese Ronaldo is the better player now. Certianly at club level. But before anyone jumps in the Brazilian Ronaldo was world class, and yes I have seen him in the Barcelona 96-97 season.

Its a point that could be debated forever. Cristiano has better statistics, Brazilian Ronaldo would make you get out of your seat every time he got the ball. Cristiano is relentless at finishing chances created for him by his team mates, Brazilian Ronaldo was beating teams on his own. Even though it was only 15 years ago, the era Brazilian Ronaldo played in was very different. I dont think he played in a side as good as the current Real Madrid team, and he certainly didnt play at a time where the gap in quality between the top teams and the rest of the division was as big as it is today. Plus he got kicked more as the protection strikers are afforded today is really only in place because of the injuries players like Brazilian Ronaldo got from having to deal with hatchet men.

If I had to chose between the Crisitano Ronaldo of the past two seasons or the Brazilian Ronaldo of PSV/Barca/Inter (before his injury) then I think I would still go with the Brazilian player. I dont think he required as much support to be at his brilliant best as Cristiano does. But yeah, I agree it is like choosing between a Ferrari and an Aston Martin.

He is quality and has improved from his United days so much at Real.. I think playing with better quality players helps aswell of course.

For example, without Ozil he probably wouldn't have anywhere near the goal record he has at the moment.

ts a point that could be debated forever. Cristiano has better statistics, Brazilian Ronaldo would make you get out of your seat every time he got the ball. Cristiano is relentless at finishing chances created for him by his team mates

I think this is a bit unfair to Cristiano Ronaldo to be honest. It is not like he is just tapping in goals from wonderful passes from Özil. This season in the Spanish league he has 37 goals and 10 assists, one more point than Leo Messi. This is the guy who kind of invented the new kind of dribbling skills we see so much of in modern football. Unlike Messi, he has so much more range of goals in his game at any given time. And also a lightyear ahead of the Brazilian Ronaldo in terms of scoring goals from every part of the pitch. Amazing free-kicks, shots from outside the box, shots from angles no-one else would dream of scoring from, headers, heels, bicycle kicks and also being amazingly accurate from point blank and from the penalty spot. Ronaldo didn't invent the stepovers or the shooting techniques, but Apple didn't invent the MP3-player or the phone either so to speak (lame, I know!). Also, he scored 31 league goals for Manchester United 2007/2008 and he was mainly a winger in a free role. He seldom started as an out and out attacker as they always had other strikers for that role, that only happened more at the end of his United-career when he started more as an attacker. When he came to Real Madrid he was put on the wing because they had so many strikers.

Remember these goals? On top of my head of course..

- Free-kick against Arsenal in the Champions League, who would attempt a shot at goal from that range and scoring?

- Shot against Porto in the Champions League, one of the best long range efforts I can remember.

- Numerous free-kicks with that technique so many players are trying to copy, like the ones against Portsmouth and that European XI.

- That heel click against us after a corner, and the one he pulled off a month ago or so in Spain

- Have to include those non-goals against Kazakhstan and Spain, pretty solid stuff

- That run against Fulham when United needed a goal to get an advantage in the league. Picked the ball up in his own half and scored in the last part of the game.

I am not taking anything away from Messi, not at all, but he has a better system suited for his style, the best creative players in the world behind him every game and he scores a LOT of similar goals. Three hundred passes, a ball through, round the keeper for a tap-in, or a chip or whatever. He can of course also dribble 3-4 players and hit shots from sick angles, but again, many of his goals are very, very similar.

What will always be against Ronaldo is his arrogance and dodgy reputation. Above all, this is what made him amonst the best in history. He always tried even though most pundits were slagging him off for attempting stupid shots and silly dribbles, ruining for his teammates and cause. However, I don't think many of those are questioning his ability now. When comparing him with the old Ronaldo, like Messi is compared with Maradona, the formers will always have the upper hand because they are retired and belong to history. A bit like comparing a modern band with the Beatles and Rolling Stones. In 10-15 years when they are retired I think the situation will be different. Poor Ronaldo also get this fair bit of stick because of his looks and slick/dodgy attire, but if I had the chance to tap Paris Hilton and all the models in the world I would look after myself too :) Imagine Leo Messi being caught by TMZ whilst walking out of a nightclub with some A-list Hollywood totty! There are much worser players than him when it comes to diving and critical behavior on the pitch in modern football, my impression is that he mainly wants to play on and score all those goals. He was bad back in the days when he was a kid, but he is 26-27 now and has stayed injury-free all this time because he knows how to analyze tackles and dodge the bullet. In my eyes it is not diving when you see a flying two-footed tackle coming in and you manage to avoid it. If players like Messi, Ronaldo, Nani and all the others whom are tackled the most tried to stay on their feet to the limit of their ability we would see broken tibias and fibulas all over the place!

I know this piece is easy to attack for most haters of the guy, but it is only meant as a little contribution for a player who enriches the sport we all love.

Â