Stan Petrov

LondonLax

Thankyou for that video LSFC.

the love this man commands around the world is testament to the gentleman he is.

We are ALL thinking of you stan.

Going to buy one of them shirts from the official shop. Also thinking about donating bone marrow. For the pain that it involves i think it's worth it if it saves a life.

It's not over. Bulgarian press said he had quit football, then Petrov (via AVFC) said that's utter cobblers (or the Bulgarian equivalent).

isn't the usual length of treatment for this condition 2-3 1/2 years? the guys career is definitely over unfortunately, even if he beats it and comes out as health as he was previously

It's not over. Bulgarian press said he had quit football, then Petrov (via AVFC) said that's utter cobblers (or the Bulgarian equivalent).

isn't the usual length of treatment for this condition 2-3 1/2 years? the guys career is definitely over unfortunately, even if he beats it and comes out as health as he was previously

agreed he wont play for us again. if he did pull through he would be about 36/37

Best we can hope for is he returns as a coach or something, though chances are once he's beaten this thing he'll probably move back to Bulgaria for a time so he can enjoy the company of his extended family.

Treatment if all goes well and his body responds to the early intensive treatment and he gets remission is at best, at least 3 years. If the intensive treatment doesnt get him into remission he needs bone marrow transplant and i think it shortens the treatment period.

Initial intensive treatment is about 4-5 months a little depending on how youre body react, how sick you get and... i had to have surgery so i had a break in treatment before i could start the long time treatment, they cant perform surgery while in treatment because the body will not heal itself (low number of bloodplates and high risk of infections). Long time treatment is 156 weeks (13 rounds each lasting 12 weeks) which is a mix of trips to the hospital once every week the first three weeks for chemo therapy in the vein and at home rest of the time with pills. First three weeks of the 12 weeks you get stereoid treatment to protect the body from infections, this will make you gain weight. Also you must go to the hospital and have blood tests almost every week in the beginning, after some time when the blood values get stable you dont have to be tested so often.

A part of the treatment is 13 injections of chemo in the spinal fluid, they take some out and replaces it with the same amount of chemo (metotrexathe), this is to protect the brain and is also one of the reasons of the much higher survival rates for leukemia now. Twenty years ago leukeamia was almost considered a death sentence.

Bone marrow testing and these things hurts like a mother but it lasts only for a couple of seconds, they make sure that you are numb before they drill the needle through your bone, it is really only the part when they suck out the bone marrow that is painfull, but that is really bad but only lasts a few seconds. They usually take bone marrow from the back/hip bone (dont know what its called in english) or from the chest, from the back/hip ismy preferred location, from the chest is bad and really too much in your face as they drill the needle through the bone.

Hope this made any sense, its difficult in english.

Sounds like his cancer could have been caused by his location where he grew up.

Chernobyl disaster gave football star Stiliyan Petrov cancer, claims Bulgarian doctor

-Petrov grew up 650 miles from doomed power station

-Toxic cloud passed over his hometown

-Communist leaders in Bulgaria 'hid threat to kids'

Aston Villa captain Stiliyan Petrov's cancer was caused by radiation from the Chernobyl nuclear disaster more than 25 years ago, according to his national team's doctor.

The 32-year-old was diagnosed with acute leukaemia last month.

Dr Mihail Iliev, who has treated Petrov for 14 years in his capacity as Bulgarian national team medic, is blaming a toxic radiation cloud the star was exposed to when he was just six years old.

On April 26, 1986 a power surge in reactor number four caused an explosion at the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Station in Ukraine, sending a huge plume of radioactive material into the sky.

At the time Stiliyan Petrov was growing up in Montana, Bulgaria, 650 miles away from Chernobyl.

But the cloud of contaminated matter is believed to have passed over the city in the weeks following the disaster.

Dr Iliev, 61, claimed radiation levels in the north of Bulgaria were 1,000 to 1,300 times normal levels in late April, early May 1986.

He said a number of youngsters at the time, or born in the aftermath of the disaster, developed cancer - because Bulgaria's communist regime failed to tell people about the threat.

Dr. Iliev told The Sun 'It was in the late spring, the population was eating fresh radioactive vegetables and other foods. Many people who were kids back then suffered cancer because of this.

'We called them The Chernobyl Kids. Most were born in the same region as Stiliyan.'

Radiation from Chernobyl is known to have caused widespread birth defects across the former Soviet Union, but its effect on the inhabitants of neighboring countries is hard to measure

Levels of contamination were detected across much of Europe in the aftermath of the disaster and experts say the toxic cloud spread out and west across the continent with closest neighbours Belarus, Russia, Sweden, Finland, Austria, Norway and Bulgaria worst effected.

Dr Iliev is even more convinced Petrov's cancer is related, because there is no history of cancer in his family.

Dr. Iliev added, 'There are no other cases of such illness in this family, that is why I think Stiliyan is a victim of the old communist regime’s lack of information when the nuclear reactor at Chernobyl exploded, and the radioactive cloud came to our country.'

The UN's World Health Organization says that among the 600,000 people most heavily exposed to the radiation, 4,000 more cancer deaths than average are expected to be eventually found.

Greenpeace estimates 200,000 people will eventually contract cancer as a result of Chernobyl.

Chernobyl disaster gave football star Stiliyan Petrov cancer, claims Bulgarian doctor

Got my "support Stan" shirt today. Also got Petrov 19 on the back. Came to about £20, but the money was going to a to a charity rather than in someone's pocket. The guy that printed my shirt said they have made well over £1 million for charity selling the shirts. Not sure how true it is because that would mean selling over 100,000 shirts, would be nice if it's true.

Folks this thread is about supporting our club captain through the biggest fight of his life and its about finding ways we can back him.

So can we please keep stuff about those fucktards that exist within football that don't wish to support Stan and who only bring shame on themselves, their clubs and our game out of this thread.

By all means talk about it if you wish but please do so in another thread in other football because it shouldn't be a part of this thread.

Thanks

Folks this thread is about supporting our club captain through the biggest fight of his life and its about finding ways we can back him.

So can we please keep stuff about those fucktards that exist within football that don't wish to support Stan and who only bring shame on themselves, their clubs and our game out of this thread.

By all means talk about it if you wish but please do so in another thread in other football because it shouldn't be a part of this thread.

Thanks

this.

Going to buy one of them shirts from the official shop. Also thinking about donating bone marrow. For the pain that it involves i think it's worth it if it saves a life.

It DOES NOT hurt to donate.

95% of the time stem cells will be taken peripherally (i.e. intravenously) after a couple of courses of growth injections a few days before (these injections are into the stomach and produce more stem cells to be donated)

I have given talks around the country about donating bone marrow/stem cells. I have had a bone marrow transplant and had my life saved by someone who was kind enough to donate after I had leukaemia.

To donate bone marrow I urge you to get in touch with The Anthony Nolan Trust .

Sounds like his cancer could have been caused by his location where he grew up.

Dr Iliev is even more convinced Petrov's cancer is related, because there is no history of cancer in his family.

Dr. Iliev added, 'There are no other cases of such illness in this family

This is bollocks because leukaemia or a "such illness" isn't hereditary anyway.

^

Good to hear. Just like Stan to stay positive.

I think the team is really missing Stan at the moment. He's far more important to the team than some give him credit for.
Definitely. Remember last season when we he was out for a couple of months? It's no coincidence that his absence coincided with all those poor results and performances. I've always rated Stan. He does the simple stuff that you don't notice.

A good story about Stan.

He has a lot lying ahead of him. I hope there can be some way the fans can keep showing him public support once the season is over and the 19th minute applause is ended.

Any ideas anyone?

What we really need to try for Stiliyan is to get ourselves out of the mess we are in at the moment.

Also, I thought, a refreshingly frank assessment from Sid of the current situation at VP!

It DOES NOT hurt to donate.

95% of the time stem cells will be taken peripherally (i.e. intravenously) after a couple of courses of growth injections a few days before (these injections are into the stomach and produce more stem cells to be donated)

I have given talks around the country about donating bone marrow/stem cells. I have had a bone marrow transplant and had my life saved by someone who was kind enough to donate after I had leukaemia.

To donate bone marrow I urge you to get in touch with The Anthony Nolan Trust .

Went to give blood last week and was told i can sign up there. Did it via the NHSBT, but they work in collaboration with Anthony Nolan. Went back 2 days later and they did a few tests and said i will be asked to be contacted by Anthony Nolan if a match was found. Today i was contacted by them telling me a possible match has been found. I just need to go back to do "extensive tissue typing"? The person doing the tests at the time said it could take years to find a match. Is it common to find a match so quickly?

Â