SPECULATION: Bas Dost (Heereveen)

Villan4Life

Jesus Christ AVFCAM. You're not going to worry any Mastermind contestants are you?

Dutch is apparently an ambugious feeling rather than a language that can be accurately translated and with less points we'd be in the bottom three...

I say go for him.. The guy is cheap so if he fails it's no big deal as there are plenty of avenues to either sell him back to the Dutch, offer him out to Spain or even offer him to teams newly promoted from the Championship.. He's not a dead end unlike many of our transfers where the only way to sell is to another Premier League team or if the player agree's to take a sizeable pay cut.

Shame that he thinks we're shit.

http://tinyurl.com/dxsfw3f

Its confusing; previous interviews have been translated as he doesn’t know the club well, not that the club is not good

According to a Dutch mate of mine, "Daar wist ik van. Ik ken de club niet heel goed, maar de interesse is mooi” translates as ""I knew about it [Villa's interest]. I don't know the club too well, but it's good that they're interested"

So, F off Talksport.

I can read a bit of Dutch, having lived there. Your mate is right.

Nice one fan of Ajax, really like the sounds of the Narsingh guy. I worry that McLeish would not sign Narsingh because he is not "experienced" enough. That is flavour of the month for the manager.

If you ask me, experience is important for defenders, a must have for goalkeepers. Midfielders less important and attackers not so much at all. Perhaps scoring goals in bigger leagues you need to learn. If you are good enough, you are old enough! And besides that, if you wait to long with talented players, their prices go skyrocketing.

Are you Artur Numan?

Haha no..

Well you're at least Budget Numan. :thumb:

Oh I wouldnt mind being a scout at all! Where can I sign this contract :D

Also linked with Kenneth Vermeer, Ajax goalkeeper. I don't rate him to high. He saves alot, but also alot of mistakes! Think he will be second keeper of Ajax next season though

am sure he played in the UEFA Cup game in 2008, wasnt that impressive on crosses

He hasnt changed much, quite disappointing, thought he would be our next goalkeeper. So far, not good enough.

I dont think a player from a poor erdivisie team would turn down a chance to play in the Premier League.

even though the translation was wrong I'm sure if he came here he would probably think we were shite after spending time with McLeish and Grant :lol:

Thanks for the information Ajax fan. I think the big fellah might just work well with Bent but failing that have you got a new Cruyff, Neeskens, Suurbier or Krol you could suggest for us (as Arthur Numan will need all the help he can get in changing us into a "total football" team). :winkold:

Ah what you need, is Maher. Adam Maher is a special one. He is a playmaker/midfielder and will cost 10-30 million euro. Quite a big range but thats because he is very young. I have no idea what he wants in his career, stay alittle longer in the Dutch league or leaving soon. Hope and think he will stay if I am honest. You will see him at one of the best clubs in the world soon enough. Will become a Dutch international very soon too. He plays at AZ and is already their mvp. The only thing which isnt good, is.. he doesnt play for Ajax. And I am afraid he never will. More talented than Eriksen, love him just as much as my personal favorite, Van der Vaart.

Wouldnt be a Spanish/Dutch/German head coach a nice idea? They know about total football, much much more than me ... ;)

Anyway here some interesting players I know:

Stekelenburg (10) – AS Roma - goalkeeper – Italian league is shitty nowadays

Vorm (5?) – Swansea City – goalkeeper – From Swansea to Villa is a step up still? I know the table standings but…

Gomes (?) – Spurs – goalkeeper – how can he become so bad? He was such a terrific goalkeeper at PSV! Might leave?

Emanuelson (5-15) – AC Milan – midfielder – perhaps you can get him cheap once he is on the bench there, he is a starting player atm though

Strootman (10-15) PSV – midfielder – new Van Bommel

Kuyt (bosman/1 year contract? Less than 5 million orso?) – Liverpool – hard worker– Holman and Kuyt is perhaps abit to much, but he did pretty well at Liverpool right? Think he will leave

Wijnaldum (5-10) PSV – midfielder – still to playful, does know how to play football though

De Jong (10-15) – Twente – striker – Hollands next striker, not as good as Huntelaar/Van Nistelrooij/Kluivert though

Narsingh (5) – Heerenveen – winger – decent, your typical Dutch winger, think he will leave

Elia (10) Juventus – winger – sitting at the bench there, picking his nose, think he will leave

Douglas (10) – Twente – defender – beast

Van der Wiel (6-12) - Ajax – right back – will leave, very good at attacking, could be better at defending

El Hamdaoui (1-2..) – Ajax – striker – had a fight with De Boer, never plays anymore, was a very good striker! Havent played for quite awhile though.. worth the risk, will leave

Alderweireld (10) – Ajax – defender – decent, nothing that special

Anita (10-15) – Ajax – defensive midfielder/playmaker – you will laugh with his girly name and being a tiny human, just wait till you see him playing ;) he is good!

Sulejmani (5-10) – Ajax – winger – to bad he had so many injuries, he once was the next big thing

Enoh (5) – Ajax – defensive midfielder – animal

Aissati (bosman) – Ajax – midfielder – such a shame he never made it at Ajax and PSV, he was good for Twente a while ago. As bosman worth the risk, will leave I think

Eriksen (15-35) – Ajax – midfielder – you know him, closest to Maher in this list

Vertonghen (10-15) – Ajax – defender / playmaker – he will be quite sensational when he will enter the English or Spanish league, will leave I am afraid..

Kalas (?) – Vitesse/Chelsea – defender – decent player, dont know if he is good enough for Chelsea, to young anyway for now

Bony (8-15) – Vitesse – striker – egocentric but good, great dibbling, will leave I think

Schone (bosman) – NEC – midfielder/playmaker – Schalke and Twente are interested to sign him, dont know if he is able to survive the Premier League, worth the risk, will leave

Tyton (5-10) – PSV – goalkeeper – decent, braveheart

Ooijer (bosman) – Ajax – defender – just kidding, just want to wake you up with this wall of text!

Toivonen (10) – PSV – attacking midfielder – bit annoying and whiny, scores alot, might leave

Lens (5) – PSV – winger/striker – decent enough, might leave

Babel (5?) Hoffenheim – winger – decent enough?

Matavz (5-10) PSV – striker – cold as ice, deadly, cant play football at all though, bit like Makaay

Mertens (10-15) – PSV – winger – good dribbles skills, bit of a small engine

Dost (5) – Heerenveen – striker – bit of a mad man, might be worth the risk, at least he knows how to score

Assaidi (5) – Heerenveen – winger – great dribbling skills, playful, not enough body for Aston Villa my guesses, will leave

Fer (5-10) – Twente – midfielder – powerhouse

Chadli (10) – Twente – winger – I wonder if he will fit in the Premier League, Ruiz failing at Fulham, Chadly has more body, Ruiz is the better footballer, might leave

El Ahmadi (3-5) Feyenoord – defensive midfielder/playmaker – never ever scores, bit of a wuss, still a lovely footballer to watch, has alot of skills, might worth his low price, might leave

Guidetti (?) – Feyenoord/Manchester City – mad man just like Dost, very energetic

Asare (2-3) FC Utrecht – midfielder/allrounder – dont know why he is in this list, I like him somehow, worth a gamble perhaps, decent player

Tadic (5-10) Groningen – winger – good crosses,tad slow, some say he already signed at Twente for 8 million, will leave

Esteban (5) – AZ – goalkeeper – decent goalie, still very young

Elm (5-15) – AZ – midfielder/playmaker – tad slow, perhaps to slow to Premier League standards, his passing and crosses are phenomenal

Martens (5) AZ – midfielder/playmaker – getting older and gets more injuries it seems, still a damn good player

Pranjic (bosman) – Bayern Munchen – midfielder - I loved this player so much at Heerenveen, he is getting older.. if he fails in the Premier League…. Cant see that happening!

Van Wolfswinkel (5-10) – Sporting Portugal – striker – calmer version of Dost, might be overpriced like 10 or even more

De Bruyne (on loan) – Chelsea/Racing Genk – midfielder/winger – Good player, tad slow, you might get him on loan from Chelsea. If you have a policy which allows you to take players on loan as well. Ajax almost never does that, for example

And the Dutch youth league is as always full with talents but those players should all stay ;)

Some of them will make it, some of them wont, but these are the best players in the Dutch league imo. Some players have higher price tags and I dont rate them that highly, thats because I dont think they will leave. Others will be cheaper like Vertonghen, a bargain for such a price, afraid it might be even abit lower or around 10 :( Thats what a 1 year contracts does apparantly. I understand Aston Villa cant buy them all.

Pick out your favorite! Eat that Numan lol ;)

My ultimate team (Netherlands) has Elia and Lens on the wings - they are epic!

Howcome we are being linked to so many Dutch players - is McLeish really going for this total football approach? There is signs of it coming through now, what with our all out attack approach and fluid, precision passing.

Triangles all around!

Howcome we are being linked to so many Dutch players - is McLeish really going for this total football approach? There is signs of it coming through now, what with our all out attack approach and fluid, precision passing.

Triangles all around!

I think ultimately he just wants a few more technically gifted players..

I don't think he's blind I think he can see that Gardner, Herd, Bannan, Weimann, Carruthers and others have been trained to be technically good players. We know Ireland is a technically gifted player with a great footballing mind.. If you stick those guys around Dutch and Spanish players that are trained and very good at passing the ball we have a good basis..

Sure we know McLeish likes playing hoofball but so did MON and look at Sunderland right now, I do believe that if we get rid of the players that can't play the slick passing game and replace them with those that can McLeish won't play hoofball.

Triangles all around!

I think ultimately he just wants a few more technically gifted players..

I don't think he's blind I think he can see that Gardner, Herd, Bannan, Weimann, Carruthers and others have been trained to be technically good players. We know Ireland is a technically gifted player with a great footballing mind.. If you stick those guys around Dutch and Spanish players that are trained and very good at passing the ball we have a good basis..

Sure we know McLeish likes playing hoofball but so did MON and look at Sunderland right now, I do believe that if we get rid of the players that can't play the slick passing game and replace them with those that can McLeish won't play hoofball.

Ah, I don't doubt he can perhaps see a talented player when it's infront of him, nor do I doubt that he is desperate to come up with a 'philosophy' which he wishes to implement at Villa, but whilst we are in a position which we currently find ourselves, I can't feel confident about the future. If these younger players are technically gifted and what he plans on using, then why play Heskey? Blood the players now against the likes of Arsenal - they will feel on top of the world having participated in that game against fellow youngsters like Oxlade-Chamberlain... Look how he has turned out now.

Ah, I don't doubt he can perhaps see a talented player when it's infront of him, nor do I doubt that he is desperate to come up with a 'philosophy' which he wishes to implement at Villa, but whilst we are in a position which we currently find ourselves, I can't feel confident about the future. If these younger players are technically gifted and what he plans on using, then why play Heskey? Blood the players now against the likes of Arsenal - they will feel on top of the world having participated in that game against fellow youngsters like Oxlade-Chamberlain... Look how he has turned out now.

I think McLeish maybe working more to Lerner's schedule than his own.. The Arsenal game was the perfect time to start with Herd and Gardner, it was the perfect time to start with Weimann but he didn't.. Now maybe McLeish really is stupid (a possibility), but he saw what Weimann could do with just 20 minutes on the pitch and any other manager would have started the kid but McLeish didn't.. I know McLeish has a bad rep but that doesn't make sense to me, that isn't what a manager working under his own guidance would do.

I think McLeish maybe working more to Lerner's schedule than his own.. The Arsenal game was the perfect time to start with Herd and Gardner, it was the perfect time to start with Weimann but he didn't.. Now maybe McLeish really is stupid (a possibility), but he saw what Weimann could do with just 20 minutes on the pitch and any other manager would have started the kid but McLeish didn't.. I know McLeish has a bad rep but that doesn't make sense to me, that isn't what a manager working under his own guidance would do.

I respect what your saying 100% - but there is no way that Randy or anyone else on the board is having any influence of the team that is picked. He wanted to play 'safe' - meaning that if we play crap, maybe Arsenal will play crap and won't score any. That completely back fired. He was afraid to play football. A dangerous tactic when you are where you are.

I accept that he will be here next season, but he won't have long. Certainly no longer than Christmas if we find our selves in the bottom 7? Excuses of transition or funds or injuries will not work I'm afraid.

Isn't Douglas of Twente free in the summer Ajax-fan?

My bad, you are right. He is Dutchman too, since few months. Guess you already knew that too then ;)

No nothing. It depends on where FC Twente ends this season, there is stil a (small) change the are champions.

But no rumours at all.

Steve McClaren losing his credits. It all went wrong vs Schalke, he shouldnt have rested some important players, they ended a good run at that moment. Dont think Twente will recover fast, so Douglas 99% leaving then indeed.

Thanks for the information Ajax fan. I think the big fellah might just work well with Bent but failing that have you got a new Cruyff, Neeskens, Suurbier or Krol you could suggest for us (as Arthur Numan will need all the help he can get in changing us into a "total football" team). :winkold:

Ah what you need, is Maher. Adam Maher is a special one. He is a playmaker/midfielder and will cost 10-30 million euro. Quite a big range but thats because he is very young. I have no idea what he wants in his career, stay alittle longer in the Dutch league or leaving soon. Hope and think he will stay if I am honest. You will see him at one of the best clubs in the world soon enough. Will become a Dutch international very soon too. He plays at AZ and is already their mvp. The only thing which isnt good, is.. he doesnt play for Ajax. And I am afraid he never will. More talented than Eriksen, love him just as much as my personal favorite, Van der Vaart.

Wouldnt be a Spanish/Dutch/German head coach a nice idea? They know about total football, much much more than me ... ;)

Anyway here some interesting players I know:

Stekelenburg (10) – AS Roma - goalkeeper – Italian league is shitty nowadays

Vorm (5?) – Swansea City – goalkeeper – From Swansea to Villa is a step up still? I know the table standings but…

Gomes (?) – Spurs – goalkeeper – how can he become so bad? He was such a terrific goalkeeper at PSV! Might leave?

Emanuelson (5-15) – AC Milan – midfielder – perhaps you can get him cheap once he is on the bench there, he is a starting player atm though

Strootman (10-15) PSV – midfielder – new Van Bommel

Kuyt (bosman/1 year contract? Less than 5 million orso?) – Liverpool – hard worker– Holman and Kuyt is perhaps abit to much, but he did pretty well at Liverpool right? Think he will leave

Wijnaldum (5-10) PSV – midfielder – still to playful, does know how to play football though

De Jong (10-15) – Twente – striker – Hollands next striker, not as good as Huntelaar/Van Nistelrooij/Kluivert though

Narsingh (5) – Heerenveen – winger – decent, your typical Dutch winger, think he will leave

Elia (10) Juventus – winger – sitting at the bench there, picking his nose, think he will leave

Douglas (10) – Twente – defender – beast

Van der Wiel (6-12) - Ajax – right back – will leave, very good at attacking, could be better at defending

El Hamdaoui (1-2..) – Ajax – striker – had a fight with De Boer, never plays anymore, was a very good striker! Havent played for quite awhile though.. worth the risk, will leave

Alderweireld (10) – Ajax – defender – decent, nothing that special

Anita (10-15) – Ajax – defensive midfielder/playmaker – you will laugh with his girly name and being a tiny human, just wait till you see him playing ;) he is good!

Sulejmani (5-10) – Ajax – winger – to bad he had so many injuries, he once was the next big thing

Enoh (5) – Ajax – defensive midfielder – animal

Aissati (bosman) – Ajax – midfielder – such a shame he never made it at Ajax and PSV, he was good for Twente a while ago. As bosman worth the risk, will leave I think

Eriksen (15-35) – Ajax – midfielder – you know him, closest to Maher in this list

Vertonghen (10-15) – Ajax – defender / playmaker – he will be quite sensational when he will enter the English or Spanish league, will leave I am afraid..

Kalas (?) – Vitesse/Chelsea – defender – decent player, dont know if he is good enough for Chelsea, to young anyway for now

Bony (8-15) – Vitesse – striker – egocentric but good, great dibbling, will leave I think

Schone (bosman) – NEC – midfielder/playmaker – Schalke and Twente are interested to sign him, dont know if he is able to survive the Premier League, worth the risk, will leave

Tyton (5-10) – PSV – goalkeeper – decent, braveheart

Ooijer (bosman) – Ajax – defender – just kidding, just want to wake you up with this wall of text!

Toivonen (10) – PSV – attacking midfielder – bit annoying and whiny, scores alot, might leave

Lens (5) – PSV – winger/striker – decent enough, might leave

Babel (5?) Hoffenheim – winger – decent enough?

Matavz (5-10) PSV – striker – cold as ice, deadly, cant play football at all though, bit like Makaay

Mertens (10-15) – PSV – winger – good dribbles skills, bit of a small engine

Dost (5) – Heerenveen – striker – bit of a mad man, might be worth the risk, at least he knows how to score

Assaidi (5) – Heerenveen – winger – great dribbling skills, playful, not enough body for Aston Villa my guesses, will leave

Fer (5-10) – Twente – midfielder – powerhouse

Chadli (10) – Twente – winger – I wonder if he will fit in the Premier League, Ruiz failing at Fulham, Chadly has more body, Ruiz is the better footballer, might leave

El Ahmadi (3-5) Feyenoord – defensive midfielder/playmaker – never ever scores, bit of a wuss, still a lovely footballer to watch, has alot of skills, might worth his low price, might leave

Guidetti (?) – Feyenoord/Manchester City – mad man just like Dost, very energetic

Asare (2-3) FC Utrecht – midfielder/allrounder – dont know why he is in this list, I like him somehow, worth a gamble perhaps, decent player

Tadic (5-10) Groningen – winger – good crosses,tad slow, some say he already signed at Twente for 8 million, will leave

Esteban (5) – AZ – goalkeeper – decent goalie, still very young

Elm (5-15) – AZ – midfielder/playmaker – tad slow, perhaps to slow to Premier League standards, his passing and crosses are phenomenal

Martens (5) AZ – midfielder/playmaker – getting older and gets more injuries it seems, still a damn good player

Pranjic (bosman) – Bayern Munchen – midfielder - I loved this player so much at Heerenveen, he is getting older.. if he fails in the Premier League…. Cant see that happening!

Van Wolfswinkel (5-10) – Sporting Portugal – striker – calmer version of Dost, might be overpriced like 10 or even more

De Bruyne (on loan) – Chelsea/Racing Genk – midfielder/winger – Good player, tad slow, you might get him on loan from Chelsea. If you have a policy which allows you to take players on loan as well. Ajax almost never does that, for example

And the Dutch youth league is as always full with talents but those players should all stay ;)

Some of them will make it, some of them wont, but these are the best players in the Dutch league imo. Some players have higher price tags and I dont rate them that highly, thats because I dont think they will leave. Others will be cheaper like Vertonghen, a bargain for such a price, afraid it might be even abit lower or around 10 :( Thats what a 1 year contracts does apparantly. I understand Aston Villa cant buy them all.

Pick out your favorite! Eat that Numan lol ;)

Top work Ajax fan.

Can't pretend my knowledge of modern Dutch football is all that hot, but with the way the club is going now, scouting players for cheap/reasonable fees will be a big part of our future, it seems.

I like what I've seen from Strootman, and I think Sporting Lisbon picked up an absolute bargain in Van Wolfswinkel for under €4 million Euro. :shock:

But for every good players like those, there must be plenty of Samaras, Alaves and Postma types to trip over, to get to the good stuff.

Great information Ajax-fan and many thanks for that! I'm sure Numan will appreciate the update and I would like to think we would be looking at spending what money we might find down the back of our sofa on one or more of the players from your list.

Adam Maher given you rate him somewhere near Van der Vaart must be well worth a look before someone else gets in there and does a deal. As far as a Spanish/Dutch/German head coach is concerned I think coaches from the first two of these nations would be more associated than the third with "total football" but the head coach job is not as yet vacant at Villa Park as we already have "Fergie 2" in place (he also had a dire start in his job). :winkold: We might also need to go abroad for our next boss as news of our fall from grace may not have got outside the UK as quickly as it did to Wigan.

• 3 weeks later...

28 goals in 30 games now, we need this guy! Recon we'll miss out though.

Aston Villa target Bas Dost has been in meetings with Wolfsburg according to Dutch newspaper Voetbal International.

The Heerenveen striker has smashed a staggering 28 goals in 30 league appearances this season, taking him to the top of the Eredivisie's goal scoring chart.

Villa have been linked with a move for the forward as their Dutch scout Arthur Numan has been to see him in action and has been well impressed.

The Dutch-Under 21 international has a £10m price-tag after his hugely prolific season and that has all but ruled out the chances of a move to a Dutch rival, but club's in Germany and England could easily meet their asking price.

Wolfsburg in talks with Aston Villa target