Sportswash! - Let’s oil stare at Manchester City!

Zatman

Thought they looked solid today. Chelsea-esque in so much that they are not overly exciting to watch but they get the job done and seem to have their defence sorted.

I can't see the excitement over Ballotelli though, he scored two penalties and a tap in (which may well have been offside anyway). Certainly not as good as Gabby's 10 minute hattrick against City a few seasons back at VP. ;)

Wow, an increase of 5,000. That's great proof.

We put 30,000 a match in the seats when we were in Division 3 before any money!

City fans = glory hunters.

But they were shit for years and still mainitained a decent sized fan base. I seriously doubt they got their fans as a result of glory. But then again aren't all fan glory hunters? I don't watch Spurs in the hope we don't win any trophies (though we hardly ever do). I want glory, as do fans of all teams.

Well said, mate.

Sorry but have to pick you up on this. You got 30,000+ three times for your 1st and last games and the 'local' derby with Burnley. Whereas when we were in the same division we topped 40k a couple of times and 30 most weeks.

Thought they looked solid today. Chelsea-esque in so much that they are not overly exciting to watch but they get the job done and seem to have their defence sorted.

I'd agree with this. Its obviously hard to judge given how gutless we are at the moment but they went about there work well today.

If anything you'd criticize them for they took their foot off the gas ( thankfully ) in the 2nd half as they could have scored another couple if they'd broken sweat.

If they win the league this season, I'm going to be sick down myself, smash my Sky box up, and forget football ever existed.

Can I just ask, did you do that when Chelsea first won it? Or when United won it after spending £30m+ on Rooney, Ferdinand, Berbatov, Veron and the like over the years? It's only what every other club (bar maybe Arsenal to that extent) has done to win the league.

Can I just ask, did you do that when Chelsea first won it? Or when United won it after spending £30m+ on Rooney, Ferdinand, Berbatov, Veron and the like over the years? It's only what every other club (bar maybe Arsenal to that extent) has done to win the league.

Manchester United to be fair built a team over many years and if you don't believe they haven't then you will at least admit their situation is different to that of Chelsea or Manchester City. It annoys me that football has gone down this path but seen as it has happened then why shouldn't someone come along and buy Manchester City? If it was Villa, I wouldn't complain.

If they win the league this season, I'm going to be sick down myself, smash my Sky box up, and forget football ever existed.

Why?

Ha! Do you think I'm falling for that. You want me to say "because they'd have bought the league title" and then you're going to destroy my irrational argument with various facts and figures from your encyclopaedic, bordering on autistic, football knowledge.

Well it's not going to happen. :mrgreen:

Can I just ask did you do that when Chelsea first won it? Or when United won it after spending £30m+ on Rooney, Ferdinand, Berbatov, Veron and the like over the years? It's only what every other club (bar maybe Arsenal to that extent) has done to win the league.

No.

Manchester United to be fair built a team over many years and if you don't believe they haven't then you will at least admit their situation is different to that of Chelsea or Manchester City. It annoys me that football has gone down this path but seen as it has happened then why shouldn't someone come along and buy Manchester City? If it was Villa, I wouldn't complain.

That's not really true. The Manchester United team that won the league in 1992/93 after a 26 year wait was probably the most expensively assembled team in the division. Manchester United have always spent lots of money on their team, it's just that they have been doing it for so long that lots of us seem to have forgotten about it.

Feigning disgust at Manchester City's spending prowess seems a bit odd when it was only in 2005 that Chelsea bought the title. Nobody gives a **** about the way they won their trophies now. Ditto Blackburn in 1995. Even Arsenal, who supposedly do things in the right way have a wage bill that is well over £100m a season. Yes, you can say that the richest team doesnt always win the league, but the team who win the league are always very rich. City are just doing what others have done before them, and the fact that the bar is set so high now in terms of cash needed to have a successful team really isnt the fault of City, its the fault of G14 clubs like United.

Yes, but is that because the gap between the top and the rest has increased massively with every passing year? It's Manchester United who had a big say in how the format of the Champions League was decided and they are the side responsible for needing huge squads and the resulting glass ceiling that 95% of the clubs in the league are now trapped beneath.

Oh yes BUT this is the Man City thread ;-)

The way they have gone about it may well be the only way to do it now, especially in such a timeframe, but sitting outside it gives us the opportunity to 'hate' them for it.

I know its the Man City thread, but it just makes me a bit annoyed when people imply that Man City are the team who are ruining football. Its not them who climbed to the top then kicked the ladder down so nobody could catch them.

Why?

Ha! Do you think I'm falling for that. You want me to say "because they'd have bought the league title" and then you're going to destroy my irrational argument with various facts and figures from your encyclopaedic, bordering on autistic, football knowledge.

... not to mention boring us all to death!

:D

I never used to mind Man United until they pipped us to the league title in 1992/1993 (especially the way in which they won it e.g. with those six/seven minutes of added time against Sheff Wed). Since then I've hated them with a passion. Saying that though, at least they were a huge club, and had made recent challenges prior to landing it in 93 - I guess winning the title again was inevitable.

Chelsea: They had actually won stuff (the League Cup, FA Cup and Cup Winners' Cup) and were starting to make a mark on the PL with a few decent finishes. That's not to say I don't like the way they did it, either.

When Blackburn did it, there was a 'Roy of the Rovers' romance to it with lifelong fan Jack Walker taking his boyhood team from nobodies to league champions.

Man City though - they irritate me the most. A nothing team. Bought by an oil rich Arab with seemingly no prior interest in the club. A club who had won **** all for decades. An average, middle of the road Premier League outfit.

(There's obviously a tinge of jealousy in this, but that can't be helped).

But...Rev, I agree - Man United (amongst others) had already ruined football way before Man City ever got taken over. It's just that Man City winning it might be the final nail in the coffin for me.

Â