Sportswash! - Let’s oil stare at Manchester City!

ClaretMahoney

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, JPJCB said:

*1 shot (Haaland header was offside)

…I’ll keep correcting this fact until the day I die 

Nah it was never ruled offside (may have been had he scored) and that Martinez save needs to count.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, useless said:

Utter winner nutter Guardiola won't stand for this, I feel sorry for Luton in the next game, as there's probably going to be a big backlash. Hopefully Luton watched us play and picked up a few ideas

Unfortunately Luton aren't remotely capable of playing anywhere near the way we played last night

24 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It wasn't given as offside so it counts as a shot

I know the stats technically do that but it’s not actually a fair reflection of the game. Had Haaland scored, it would have been ruled out by VAR for offside so it was an attempt on goal with no value/chance of success

Theres a more general point here in my mind that other teams’ XG/shot stats are potentially systematically overstated as theyre more likely to include chances which would have been offside given our high line. The Chelsea game this year comes to mind where the MOTD highlights included a load of chances which would never have counted had they gone in 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Unfortunately Luton aren't remotely capable of playing anywhere near the way we played last night

I'd like to think in my 31 years on this planet I've watched some decent football, but I don't think any team in the world would be capable of repeating the style we played last night.

I even wonder, will we see this again? I doubt it. We might beat palace or wolves 3-0, but it won't be as good. It was the best 1-0 I have ever seen, it was flawless. 

And to keep it on topic, Man City. 

Me no think Luton can replicate our performance, but they might have picked up a few tips to give them a slightly better chance, of course one realizes they will most likely lose and perhaps emphatically. Although one thing I have noticed in bygone days is that we have a wonderful win and then that team we beat will lose their next game against average opposition, or will go on a run of losing games, and does it take some shine away from our original victory, the positive people say that they're losing because we set them on that path with our good display, not that I'm expecting that to happen to Man City, will probably go on a winning run now, I hope not as it's my wish that someone different will win the title.

Edited by useless

1 hour ago, JPJCB said:

*1 shot (Haaland header was offside)

…I’ll keep correcting this fact until the day I die 

There was a free kick in the 2nd half that went all the way through to martinez (Luiz threw himself at diving header) , I thought they were going to count that too

1 hour ago, JPJCB said:

I know the stats technically do that but it’s not actually a fair reflection of the game. Had Haaland scored, it would have been ruled out by VAR for offside so it was an attempt on goal with no value/chance of success

Theres a more general point here in my mind that other teams’ XG/shot stats are potentially systematically overstated as theyre more likely to include chances which would have been offside given our high line. The Chelsea game this year comes to mind where the MOTD highlights included a load of chances which would never have counted had they gone in 

Shots never count towards xG if they're ruled as offside.

What usually happens in the situation last night is, despite the save, the flag would go up and the ref would blow for the offside. If that happens then the shot won't count towards stats.

The situation you're describing, where the linesman HASN'T flagged but the goal may have been ruled out afterwards would be a very small proportion of scenarios (and, theoretically, would have still happened pre-VAR)

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

There was a free kick in the 2nd half that went all the way through to martinez (Luiz threw himself at diving header) , I thought they were going to count that too

Nah the stats are still manually counted by humans so they have enough discretion to not count shots that aren't intentional.

The ball being stopped from going into the goal by the keeper doesn't necessarily count as a save

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Shots never count towards xG if they're ruled as offside.

What usually happens in the situation last night is, despite the save, the flag would go up and the ref would blow for the offside. If that happens then the shot won't count towards stats.

The situation you're describing, where the linesman HASN'T flagged but the goal may have been ruled out afterwards would be a very small proportion of scenarios (and, theoretically, would have still happened pre-VAR)

Indeed- thanks for the patronising explanation! 

My original point was that the situation you refer to at the end of your post happens to be the exact relevant one in this case 

• Confused 1

44 minutes ago, sne said:

Almost uncanny how much Rico Lewis looks like Sideshow Bob's son Gino Terwilliger from the Simpsons.

and they actually had a player called Bob.

Yes i know, its Bobb.

But.....its Bob.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JPJCB said:

Indeed- thanks for the patronising explanation! 

My original point was that the situation you refer to at the end of your post happens to be the exact relevant one in this case 

Yet the chelsea situations you then cited as evidence wouldn’t have been relevant in this case

3 hours ago, Oaks said:

Oh they didn;t have Rodri...they've spent billions.

Ohh there bench was weak, over £200 million worth of "talent" on that bench ffs.

They have 2 injuries and 2 were suspended. Suspensions are their own fault, and Rodri should be suspended more he's the king of the sinical challenge.

Fuckoff

Yeah I keep seeing comments about how many of their key players were out. Well the way I see it, without all of their financial doping inflating their income, allowing them to spend obscene amounts on star players, that team last night was the sort of team they'd have to put out if they'd not been cheating for the last 10 years. F**k em, f**k their plastic fans, f**k their mercenary players, f**k pep and Up The F****n Villa!

• Like 2

Â