Sportswash! - Let’s oil stare at Manchester City!

ClaretMahoney

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's this I'm hearing about Messi being unhappy at Barcelona and Zabaletta, Yaya and Aguero all talking to him to convince him to come to City, who are preparing a bid...

Are there no rules about tapping players up any more?

What's this I'm hearing about Messi being unhappy at Barcelona and Zabaletta, Yaya and Aguero all talking to him to convince him to come to City, who are preparing a bid...

Are there no rules about tapping players up any more?

be a bit rich Barcelona complaining when Xavi was coming out every summer saying Fabregas will be a great signing

• Like 1

The Manchester City owner is worth £20bn.  His family are sitting on oil worth an estimated £400bn - £1trillion.

Manchester City are basically the face of the Abu Dhabi tourist board.  Messi would make for a pretty good marketing campaign.  I reckon one sniff of him being gettable and you'll be about to witness the most expensive transfer of all time, ever, never to be beaten.  And about £1m a week for little Lionel too.

I reckon one sniff of him being gettable and you'll be about to witness the most expensive transfer of all time, ever, never to be beaten.  And about £1m a week for little Lionel too.

even little Lionel might have enough to pay the taxman this time ;)

• Like 1

OT - they're making a proper mess of the new stadium, they'd revealed plans to expand the nou camp to 110k then just last month there was talk of them falling out with the city university over trying to buy land off them

barca wont need the money either way, and id like to think messi wont be motivated by money either but barca could probably afford to pay him £300k+ a week, more money than he could probably ever spend, and he could play anywhere he wanted to, would hate to see him at city, but i think with somewhere between the interview / story about the director and messi's response and the "i see how much i mean to you" txt which i didnt know about until recently, he's a bit more of a cock than i thought, sounds like he's got niggly injuries, out of form, but the team is cracking on without him and he doesnt like it

that said, take the director story with a pinch of salt, im sure if one of those were to find their position untenable it wouldn't be messi 

Some director has recently pissed Messi off. Lazy British journalist links him to one of the only clubs that could afford him. Isn't his buyout clause hundreds of millions? 

His buyout clause is only legally necessary if he moves from one Spanish club to another, the rule/law doesn't apply to overseas transfers.  

The buyout clause is also a thing which will never happen.  If his clause, for the sake of argument, is €100m then he (Messi) has to pay it not the club who are buying him. The €100m is also subject to VAT (21%) and if the club who want to buy Messi give him the €100m to trigger his buyout clause then he will have to pay income tax on the windfall he gets.  It's an odd quirk of Spanish law. 

He won't leave Barcelona of course, he is the single most important employee at the club and they will bend over backwards to keep him. If he becomes unsettled then he might just be offered a new contract which will put his wages on a par with what his Portuguese mate over at Real Madrid is getting. 

Messi to Man City? Not entirely impossible actually. The last time I treated myself with a gift was when I got myself the new Bowers & Wilkins P7, that's like for Man City buying Yaya Toure for 30M. If I really wanted to go all out I would have gotten a new Rolex or Breitling, something I could afford if I decided to do it not thinking about saving money. That would be the same for City and Messi. What is it, 250M to release his buy-out clause? Man City have a brilliant squad, but they perhaps lack the final touch. Of course they have the wonderful Agüero up top, but Messi is without a doubt more dazzling and has a better output any day. Those two alonside Yaya Toure, David Silva and the lot would be devastating.

It would have been really fun if Man City got Messi (who might want to prove his worth in another league?) and Barcelona got Suarez in return. Liverpool would be stuck with a lot of cash, but there are plenty of Carroll's they can get in return. Messi has won everything with Barcelona, and although trophies are everything to a successful side, they can become complacent. Cristiano Ronaldo won the league three times whilst with United, won every other trophy including the Champions League and finished as top-scorer with 31 goals one season IIRC - in a league where 31 goals basically is the same as 40+ in Spain. We all know Messi would do exactly that in his prime in England, but if he never moves, there will always be those who say he was just the poster-boy harvesting off brilliant players/setup at Barcelona with Iniesta, Xavi et al supplying him. Then you have the possibility to discover other parts of the world before you retire, learning the language and new cultures. Sure enough, Barcelona is a few steps above Manchester in terms of culture and climate, but you never know what these guys are all about. It seems Victor Valdes has been thinking like this for a while; why not go somewhere else and discover something new (whilst not paying taxes)?

Stranger things have happened, and we all know Man City can afford to buy Lionel Messi if they really wanted to. With Neymar and then Suarez (the very likely candidate to take over for Messi) would not be very different, and they would also have roughly 120M+ to strengthen their midfield and defense.

• 3 weeks later...
Â