Do people from Solihull consider themselves to be Brummies?

TRS-T

We all know that people from the Black Country do not consider themselves to be Brummies.

But what about people from Solihull? Do they?

And what about people from the Solihull Borough but not actually from the Town of Solihull i.e. Chelmsley Wood, Castle Bromwich, Marston Green etc?

Trst are you preparing a thesis about the socio-demographic of Birmingham or something? You love makin these kinda threads, man

All I remember about so-lee-hull is that it had some nice shops and it didn't seem much like Birmingham to me. Although they did sound Brummy.

Which makes me wonder...where do people start to sound Brummy? How east of Brum do you have to get. They don't sound Brummy where I live...how bout that, Trst?

I always think of brummy to describe the accent, rather than the location. So yeah, Silhillians are brummies to me.

Then again, i don't really have a brummy accent (so I'm told) but I consider myself to be a brummy.

I've lived in Leeds for 40 years and I'm a Brummie.

Do you speak with a Brummie accent :lol:

Hardly at all anymore. When I first moved here I had trouble communicating with the locals, but not anymore. Although accent spotters can usually identify my origins from the way I say certain words - I still use the "hard g" sound in words like "sinGinG", for example.

Not being from Brum can some one tell me the correct pronunciation of Solihull? it it 'Solly-hull' or 'Solee-hull'?

I'm not sure I see the difference between what you've written.

Is the second one supposed to be soh lee hull?

If so then that's wrong. People joke about people saying it like that but I've never heard someone actually say it.

It's Soh-lee-hull if you live in Solihull town centre or out towards Knowle. Its Solly-ull if you dont. ;)

And what about people from the Solihull Borough but not actually from the Town of Solihull i.e. Chelmsley Wood, Castle Bromwich, Marston Green etc?

And those places are obviously in Birmingham regardless of what an imaginary line drew purely for electoral reasons means. Geographically they are all part of Birmingham, its just that they have to pay higher council tax and dont get shitty bin collections.

Solihull has never ever been part of Birmingham.

I am a Sillhillian born & bred & I dont class myself as a Brummie, never have, never will.

IMO the Solihull accent sounds a posh version of Brummie...

...Just my two bobs worth :D

Â