SPECULATION: Pavel Pogrebnyak (Bosman Free)

Villan4Life

ALEX McLeish has revealed he has been tracking Pavel Pogrebnyak for some time – and refused to rule out a summer swoop for the Fulham goal-getter.

Villa have also been in talks with Gregg Wylde’s agent about a potential short-term deal for the winger, who has left crisis club Rangers.

McLeish will get to see in-form Russian striker Pogrebnyak at close quarters when Villa bid to improve their home form against the Cottagers today. And he admitted Pogrebnyak, who has scored five goals in his first three matches for Fulham, is a player he has admired for quite a while.

McLeish has spoken to the representatives of the 28-year-old, who is a free agent when his short-term move from Stuttgart ends at the end of the season.

Asked if Pogrebnyak remained a target, McLeish chose his words carefully for fear of upsetting Fulham but refused to rule out a move. He said: “Fulham did well in January and brought Pavel Pogrebnyak into the set-up.

“He is a player who I’ve seen and have been in touch with his agent over the past few years trying to sign him but the timing was just not quite right.

“Will the timing be right in the summer?

“I don’t want to be in the bad books with Fulham talking about their player. He’s a player I flirted with in the past – but I shouldn’t really be talking about someone else’s player.

“I need to be careful what I’m saying here because my players will be reading this. We are lacking a bit of experience and hopefully that is something we can put right.”

Wylde is another player on McLeish’s radar after the 20-year-old winger took voluntary redundancy earlier this week after Rangers entered administration.

Villa are considering taking the speedy Scottish under-21 international, who is believed to be on around £10,000 per week, until the end of the season.

If a temporary deal does go through, the club would assess him impact over the next few months before deciding whether to offer a permanent contract.

“It is not something I have totally dismissed but he’s still a kid,” said McLeish.

“People have phoned me about him but I’m sure they have phoned everyone else.

“Is he worth a gamble? I’ve not got any money to gamble with.

“I wouldn’t be comfortable at all about going back and plundering Rangers but I suppose Gregg Wylde is in a different situation because he has left the club.

“Whether we go for Gregg, I think he is a player for the future.

“Maybe he could do some damage in a short space of time between now and the end of the season.

“His people have been in touch but we haven’t taken it any further. We will have a think about things.”

Meanwhile, Ciaran Clark has suffered a setback with his knee ligament injury and could be out for another month.

“I don’t know how long it is now, but he’ll definitely be out wee bit longer,” confirmed McLeish.

“My personal experience of knee ligaments injures is that it’s not an overnight job of two to three weeks. It’s more like five to six.

“With modern technology you feel it should be a bit quicker but there was a wee setback.

“He was in the team playing regularly at centre midfield, even though he’s a young centre-half playing there.

“We feel he’s got a really good future and it’s a shame. We’ve missed the kid because he was playing well there.

‘‘He’s also got the Euros coming up and I think Giovanni Trapattoni would probably include him in the Ireland squad if he’s fit.”

Read More http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham-sport/aston-villa-fc/aston-villa-news/2012/03/10/pavel-pogrebnyak-on-aston-villa-s-radar-for-potential-summer-transfer-swoop-97319-30501375/#ixzz1ouSnx7pM

“I don’t want to be in the bad books with Fulham talking about their player. He’s a player I flirted with in the past – but I shouldn’t really be talking about someone else’s player.

“I need to be careful what I’m saying here because my players will be reading this. We are lacking a bit of experience and hopefully that is something we can put right.”

Then don't say anything you pillock!

"I need to be careful what I’m saying here because my players will be reading this"

Translation:

Basically what I want to tell you is that all of my players are shit, but I need to be careful because they'll be reading this, so I'll just allude to that fact that they are shit in the least subtle way possible, and hope they're too stupid to pick up on what I mean.

mcleish_1326263a.jpg

I was about to say "do we really need another striker?" then thought about the possibility that Heskey won't be here, Delfouneso probably won't be here, Agbonlahor is a winger now and Bent might not be here and that leaves Weimann on his own.. I'd go for this guy if Bent was **** off.

PS. My reason for wanting this guy is simple.. I just want a striker with a proper foreign sounding name. Most of the best teams in the world have one it's a good omen.

"I need to be careful what I’m saying here because my players will be reading this"

Translation:

Basically what I want to tell you is that all of my players are shit, but I need to be careful because they'll be reading this, so I'll just allude to that fact that they are shit in the least subtle way possible, and hope they're too stupid to pick up on what I mean.

mcleish_1326263a.jpg

To be fair, Gabby won't be able to read that...... safe as houses. :lol:

He’s a player I flirted with in the past
Someone photoshop that badboy

I'll oblige.

Pog%20and%20Eck.jpg

Quite obviously shopped

Mcleish is missing two horns from the top of his head and I can only count 5 fingers there should be six.