Speculation: Ivica Olic (Free Transfer)

Swerbs

Ivica Olic is one of the names on Alex McLeish's summer wish-list.

The Bayern Munich forward was scouted by Aston Villa a couple of weeks ago as the Scot looks to complete a major overhaul of his playing staff this summer.

Olic, 32, is out-of-contract following an injury-played few seasons with the Bavarian club but fits the bill as far as McLeish is concerned.

Up for grabs: Striker Ivica Olic (centre) in action for Croatia last week

Villa scout Glenn Roeder travelled to watch Freiberg and Munich battle out a 0-0 draw and although Olic was on the bench that afternoon, he is understood to be the one on McLeish's radar.

The Croatia international was one of the hottest properties in Europe when he starred for Martin Jol's Hamburg side. And it is likely that the Cottagers' boss too will be interested in securing a quality player on a Bosman.

However, McLeish has admitted making plans already ahead of next season.

He said: 'We have already made plans to bring some players in. We have looked at a lot - Bosman signings but of good quality.

'I've not been able to stamp my own personality on the team yet. But it was something I agreed to.

'We agreed we would drive the wage bill to a certain level before we started doing business again.

'So we are doing our homework now because we are being prudent. That's why we are scouting as many good Bosman signings as we can.

'I'm sure the chairman would sanction big wages again as long as it was kept within our parameters.'

Daily Mail source

A lot of re-hashed quotes in there so probably shit.

He is a good player mind, he'd be a much better option than Heskey. I can't see him getting more than a 2 year contract. Could be a decent signing you know with Heskey looking like he'll be off the books.

Good grief, hopefully just BS.

In his day a good player but 32 and out injured for 2yrs should be even enough for the idiots in charge of Villa to realise that this would only end in tears, ours.

Teddy Sheringham was a top striker all the way until he reached age 40. I've no problem at all with a 32 year old, and I don't know why anyone would. It's hardly ancient.