Speculation: Ivica Olic (Free Transfer)

Swerbs

For some reason I come to think of Luc Nilis. Wasn't he 33 when we signed him? We could do with an experienced, intelligent striker for a few years. If Olic is all that.

How does signing Bosman's help keep the wages down? Keep the transfer fees down yes but wages? Hardly

Surely though it's better to get a guy in free and then pay wages than have to pay £6 million for him and then pay wages? If we are offloading players there is room for him he'd just take up the wage packet of Delfouneso or someone else when they go. I understand Olic may be a risk, but it's a rather cheap risk in the grand scheme of things..

Teddy Sheringham was a top striker all the way until he reached age 40. I've no problem at all with a 32 year old, and I don't know why anyone would. It's hardly ancient.

Olic relies on his pace though, it's his biggest asset. In fact he's sort of similar to Agbonlahor in some ways. Injuries and age will rob him of that, and he'd want big wages. Not sure that this would be prudent.

How does signing Bosman's help keep the wages down? Keep the transfer fees down yes but wages? Hardly

Surely though it's better to get a guy in free and then pay wages than have to pay £6 million for him and then pay wages? If we are offloading players there is room for him he'd just take up the wage packet of Delfouneso or someone else when they go. I understand Olic may be a risk, but it's a rather cheap risk in the grand scheme of things..

No not really seeing as Bosman players normally want inflated wages due to the lack of transfer fee and seemingly it is our wage bill that is the issue.

We need a ball winner in the middle of the park, a schemer to replace Stan, a left back,a winger and a centre half. We also need experience, so I'd take a player of his experience.

Shades of a Dugarry type signing for me. I would have liked us to have gone for him when he did the team we played at Hamburg all those years ago but I agree with Trent because our new wage frugality would make us an unlikely destination for a Bosman of this sort of quality. I would guess that Portsmouth is a more realistic destination for our scouts at present. :oops:

Shades of a Dugarry type signing for me. I would have liked us to have gone for him when he did the team we played at Hamburg all those years ago but I agree with Trent because our new wage frugality would make us an unlikely destination for a Bosman of this sort of quality. I would guess that Portsmouth is a more realistic destination for our scouts at present. :oops:

Thats to optimistic i think they are off to Birmingham

Nope.

We have been told we have a wages to revenue issue, that we need to get wages under control

We also made a 54M loss last year and have been told this is unsustainable.

Bosman signings are normally free in terms of transfer fee but that does not make their wages cheaper, far from it. In fact it can even mean their wages are higher

SO I ask again how does signing bosmans actually help the wages issue?

• 4 weeks later...