Relegation - Merged

Amo69

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2005/2006 under O'Leary - our worst Premier League season to date:

Position 16th, Pld 38, Won 10, Drawn 12, Lost 16, For 42, Against 55, Goal Difference -13, Points 42.

Currently under Mcleish with 4 games left:

Position 15th, Won 7, Drawn 15, Lost 12, For 35, Against 48, Goal Difference -13, Points 36

Based on performance, with a better squad of players at his disposal this season, I reckon McLeish could, quite conceivably:

Finish as low as O'Leary did (or at best 1 place higher), win less games, score less goals, have a worse goal difference and achieve less points.

Now on any other planet than the planet Lerner, this sort of performance would equate to instant dismissal on the grounds of failing to carry out the basic functions of the job and gross incompetence.

Sorry, I have to disagree with the comments about today being a poor performance.

It was by no means vintage, and we definitely gave the ball away, but we played better today than we have for a while. Mignolet made 2 important saves early on, without which we'd have won 2-0

Why do people keep talking about next season?We can deal with that when it happens. The same with McLeish. He can be gotten shot off in the summer.

All anyone should be thinking of is not getting relegated. I am going to be a quivering mess come Tuesday. My worst nightmare is going into the last game away to Norwich needing something to be safe. I dont care how we get there but I want to be mathematically safe after game 37.

Sorry, I have to disagree with the comments about today being a poor performance.

It was by no means vintage, and we definitely gave the ball away, but we played better today than we have for a while. Mignolet made 2 important saves early on, without which we'd have won 2-0

They tried but without ever making me feel that we should have won. In fact, had it not been for a dodgy offside goal decision in our favour and a couple of saves/blocks from Given, Ireland and our defenders then Sunderland could quite easily have won too.

Im worried - but kind of not worried. Today changed my perspective on things:-

1.I can't see where our next goal - let on win is coming from - I really don't see us beating Bolton

2.Im not worried - because I want to see us win a few games and score a few goals - and if that means championship football - so be it. I am not saying we can re group in the championship - and rebuild - and maybe its for the best - no its none of those things.

But what hopefully what it would be is going down VP , seeing maybe one, two, or even 3 goals now and again .

We maybe in the prem - but the entertainment is anything but premier - it would cost me £600 to renew my tickets .......to see 4 home wins.....jog on

If your going on about chances not taken then you can look at bendtners disallowed goal, plus he should have had two others.

second half was dire, not one shot on goal, same old bollocks. we were lucky not to lose

Im worried - but kind of not worried. Today changed my perspective on things:-

1.I can't see where our next goal - let on win is coming from - I really don't see us beating Bolton

2.Im not worried - because I want to see us win a few games and score a few goals - and if that means championship football - so be it. I am not saying we can re group in the championship - and rebuild - and maybe its for the best - no its none of those things.

But what hopefully what it would be is going down VP , seeing maybe one, two, or even 3 goals now and again .

We maybe in the prem - but the entertainment is anything but premier - it would cost me £600 to renew my tickets .......to see 4 home wins.....jog on

You get an extra 4 home games in the Fizzy Pop league and, like you said, you may also get to see us score some goals and win some games. The proviso has to be though that McLeish is gone.

Not a good place to be though and I would rather stay in the PL but not if it means another season or two of scrapping at the bottom and hardly seeing any wins at home.

All this season is proving is what a monumental **** up it was to appoint McLeish and further proved how out of touch both Lerner and Faulkner are with football in general and the Premiership in particular.

Interestingly a business associate of mine had a meeting with a very senior person at the club this week. I can't be too specific about what for obvious reasons. For the record he is a big football fan, a Celtic supporter in fact. He made two comments: firstly they are under the cosh over costs generally and secondly there is a lot of nervousness as to how this season will pan out. Obvious really but the latter observation suggest to me that maybe just maybe they realise the stupidity of the managerial appointment.

You can but hope.

All this season is proving is what a monumental **** up it was to appoint McLeish and further proved how out of touch both Lerner and Faulkner are with football in general and the Premiership in particular.

Interestingly a business associate of mine had a meeting with a very senior person at the club this week. I can't be too specific about what for obvious reasons. For the record he is a big football fan, a Celtic supporter in fact. He made two comments: firstly they are under the cosh over costs generally and secondly there is a lot of nervousness as to how this season will pan out. Obvious really but the latter observation suggest to me that maybe just maybe they realise the stupidity of the managerial appointment.

You can but hope.

Basically our club is fooked?

No disrespect but were you there? They had a valid goal ruled offside, Ireland cleared one off the line, Bendtner missed a headed sitter and McLean missed a sitter of a shot from about 6 yards! We fought as well as we could but **** did they have some clear chances!

We were lucky to get a point today, same at Liverpool and same at Wigan. Add the last minute winner against Fulham and you could very easily write 5 points off our current total from the last half dozen games alone. Pretty **** sad if you ask me! :(

That has really hurt us today QPR scraping a win by their fingernails YET AGAIN. They really are getting the rub at the moment. You would have to say they will beat Stoke at home now & possibly may get something at either Chelsea or Man City due to the timing of those games..City may be deflated & Chelsea may have their eye on the Champs League final & or FA cup final.... So for me we now need 3 more points. so long as we do not lose to Bolton.. If we do we may need another 4 points from the WBA, Spurs & Norwich games as Bolton would be on our tails then too.

Wigan have games against Newcastle, Blackburn & Wolves so you have to see 7 or 9 points for them on their current form.

Blackburn have Spurs (a) Wigan (h) & Chelsea (a) so hopefully they will not get 6 points from those to overtake us.

QPR have Chelsea (a) Stoke (h) & Man City (a) & i can see 4 points there for them & with the luck they are enjoying it could be even more.

Bolton have Villa (a) Sunderland (a) Spurs (h) West Brom (h) & Stoke (a).. We simply cannot lose that game & really after QPR's win we have to win it now. as i can see points for Bolton from almost all of their remaining fixtures though mainly mostly draws.

So if we lose to Bolton i think we are deep in it. Draw & squeaky bum time will probably be with us right to the last game.

If we draw with Bolton that would leave Blackburn needing 2 wins & a draw, QPR needing a point from either Chelsea or Man City, Wigan would be 3 behind effectively 4 with GD although with Wolves(h) to play that will surely be 3 of those.

Bolton would be 6 behind effetively 7 with GD with 4 to play

In short i think if we beat Draw with Bolton & draw 1 more after that we should be ok. Beat Bolton & we surely would be pretty much safe.

just looking at that Bolton line up -, Wheater, Petrov, Davies, Coker - while we will be fielding a team with at 4 players who have yet to complete a full season.

Loose this - and we really have to hope for a surprise win in our other games.

Looking at others fixtures and our goal difference, I think a draw against Bolton will see us safe.

If we lose, I think we will go down.

I personally wouldnt mind losing though, it will really crank up the pressure on that ginger spastic.

just looking at that Bolton line up -, Wheater, Petrov, Davies, Coker - while we will be fielding a team with at 4 players who have yet to complete a full season.

not sure what your post is trying to imply. wouldnt even take any of them players at Villa