Favourite Quotes

donnie

simple enough but:

"this too shall pass". which apparently comes from some Persian Sufi legend, but whether true or not it's always helped to calm me down when need be!

What should pass??Story behind it sounds intresting but makes no sense without knowing what is meant by it

It's a saying, really, meaning endure, stick with it... but also to be wary of the good times. Everything going wrong, feel shit, nothing going for you? Don't worry, 'this too shall pass', things will pick up. Enjoying a boon, nothing at all that worries you? Remember, the good times don't last forever, 'this too shall pass', things that go up must come down.

It's something worth remembering, sometimes. It can open your eyes to a different perspective.

simple enough but:

"this too shall pass". which apparently comes from some Persian Sufi legend, but whether true or not it's always helped to calm me down when need be!

What should pass??Story behind it sounds intresting but makes no sense without knowing what is meant by it

It's a saying, really, meaning endure, stick with it... but also to be wary of the good times. Everything going wrong, feel shit, nothing going for you? Don't worry, 'this too shall pass', things will pick up. Enjoying a boon, nothing at all that worries you? Remember, the good times don't last forever, 'this too shall pass', things that go up must come down.

It's something worth remembering, sometimes. It can open your eyes to a different perspective.

It's my belief that history is a wheel. "Inconstancy is my very essence" -says the wheel- "Rise up on my spokes if you like, but don't complain when you are cast back down into the depths. Good times pass away, but then so do the bad. Mutability is our tragedy, but it is also our hope. The worst of times, like the best, are always passing away".

Boethius (Christopher Eccleston)

'24 Hour Party People' - Film

"Consider again that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar", every "supreme leader", every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there - on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam." - Carl Sagan

(The dot is a photo of the Earth as seen from Voyager 1 when it was 3.7 billion miles away - google "Pale Blue Dot" and it will put everything into perspective)

I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it.

There is a massive list of quotes I adore. Some meaningful, some ridiculous. The above is my favorite.

'We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars' - Oscar Wilde

'Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today' - James Dean

'You don’t know what you’re alive for until you know what you would die for'

"We want to be free! We want to be free to do what we want to do! We want to be free to ride. And we want to be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man. And we want to get loaded. And we want to have a good time! And that’s what we’re gonna do. We’re gonna have a good time. We’re gonna have a party"

Peter Fonda.

Although I wish it had been said by someone outside of a film but either way I love it, the scene, the tone of his voice, the crowd, the guy shouting 'no way baby lets go', the meaning of freedom and to add to the that its sampled on one of the best albums ever produced.

As far as films go...

Apocalypse Now

Smell that? You smell that?

What?

Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like....victory. Someday this war's gonna end...

Alien 3

Why? Why are the innocent punished? Why the sacrifice? Why the pain? There aren't any promises. Nothing certain. Only that some get called, some get saved. She won't ever know the hardship and grief for those of us left behind. We commit these bodies to the void with a glad heart. For within each seed, there is a promise of a flower, and within each death, no matter how small, there's always a new life. A new beginning. Amen.

Predator (could pretty much do the whole film)

Billy...you know something, what is it?

I'm scared Poncho.

Bullshit. You ain't afraid of no man.

There's something out there waiting for us, and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die.

The Book of Eli

Cursed be the ground for our sake. Both thorns and thistles it shall bring forth for us. For out of the ground we were taken, for the dust we are... and to the dust we shall return

Layer Cake

When I was born the world was a far simpler place. It was all just cops and robbers. But it wasn't for me. Then came the Summer of Love. Hasish and LSD arrived on the scene. There were villains locked away for twelve years for robbing a bank of ten grand, doing time with drippy hippies down six months for smuggling two million quid worth of puff. I mean work it out mate. We're in the wrong **** game. Drugs. Changed. Everything. Always remember that one day all this drug monkey business will all be legal. They won't leave it to people like me. Not once they figure out how much money is in it. Not millions. **** BILLIONS. Recreational Drugs PLC: "Giving People What They Want." Good times today, stupor tomorrow. But this is now. So while prohibition lasts, make hay while the sun shines. I'm not a gangster. I'm a businessman whose commodity happens to be cocaine. I mean ten years ago a bit of charlie was for pop stars or a celebrities birthday bash. It was demonized by Daily Mail Readers getting drunk in naff wine bars. Now they're my biggest clients. This is Clarkie. Double first at Cambridge in industrial chemistry. Only he's got to pay off his student loans somehow. Today I only deal in Kilos. And, depending on which tariff you use will cost you 28 grand, or fifteen years in prison. Which is more than a rapist. C'est la vie. It is vital that we work to a few golden rules: Always works in small teams. Keep a low profile. Never deal with anyone who doesn't come recommended. I mean it's like selling anything: washing machines, hand made rugs, blow jobs, as long as you don't take the piss people will always come back for more. And that's not to say that we don't have that special kind of magic that turns two kilos into three. But never get too greedy. Know and respect your enemy! It is only very very stupid people who think the law is stupid. And avoid like the plague, loud attention seeking wannabe gangsters who are in it for the glory, to be a face, to be a name. They don't mean to **** up. They just do. Oh, and forgive me for stating the obvious, but stay away from the end user. They're guaranteed to bring you trouble. As do guns. I hate guns. And violence. But, as some Roman general once said. If you want peace, prepare for war. Morty, and his assistant Terry watch my back. Morty learned to be cautious the hard way. He did ten years inside. He's my bridge to the criminal world. And he insures that the traffic is one way

Gladiator

My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

Man On Fire

A man can be an artist at anything, food or whatever if you're good enough at it. Creasy's art is death, and he's about to paint his masterpiece!

'We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars' - Oscar Wilde

'Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today' - James Dean

'You don’t know what you’re alive for until you know what you would die for'

:mrgreen:

In the same vein:

"again i stress i dont play mac he has been through in the deep".

The one and only Demetri. 8)

In the same vein:

"again i stress i dont play mac he has been through in the deep".

The one and only Demetri. 8)

Never have got that Jon.

I think it should translate to something like

"Again, I stress that I don't blame Mac[Donald], he has been thrown in at the deep end"

Â