Favourite Quotes

donnie

What are your favourite quotes or speaches that either inspire you or motivated you:

'Its not what you have done, its what you do next that counts ' - Tiger Woods

'Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done. Now, if you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hit, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you are because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that and that ain't you. You're better than that! ' - Rocky Balbao

not the most famous quotable guy but cant beat romario

"The day I was born, God laid eyes on me and said: 'He's the man.'"

Romario after winning the league championship with Flamengo in 1998

"I'm like money, at the end of the day everybody quite likes me."

Romario's unique self-appraisal

"The goalscorer always deserves some credit but not this time. The way I hit that, even my mother would have saved it."

Romario in a rare example of self-reproach

"I'm like any Brazilian: I like women and I like to go out and enjoy myself, which is why people can identify with me. The night has always been my friend. When I go out I feel good, then I always score goals."

Romario on his fondness for nightlife

"Because I come from the favela, I know about misery and what it means to make sacrifices. I was also poor and suffered hardships. In my day, unfortunately, nobody reached out a hand, which is why I'm happy to help now."

Romario on the launch of his Romarinho Foundation, a project to help Rio street children

"I don't see there being a successor. There was only one Pele, only one Maradona, and there'll only ever be one Romario. However, in the penalty area I consider myself the best there's been."

Romario on his legacy

"There's nothing I like more than football ...except for sex."

Romario on his personal tastes

"Wherever my name appears it's linked to a scandal. Trouble follows me around, but that's ok. I'm like an Indian; I only hit out when I've been attacked first."

Romario on his habitual involvement in controversies

"Only televisions should worry about projecting a good image."

Romario remains indifferent to rumours surrounding his social life

"Will I become a coach in the future? No way, I'd never be able to put up with someone like me."

Romario before changing his mind and coaching Vasco de Gama

"How does it feel to have this cup in my hands? Cold, because the thing is freezing!"

Romario jests on getting reaquainted with the FIFA World Cup Trophy in an interview with FIFA.com

"Some people say I lost control, but they don't realise Romario has emotions too. If Pele and (Brazilian basketball star) Oscar can show their emotions, why can't Romario?"

Romario on shedding tears in a press conference where he asked in vain for Luiz Felipe Scolari to include him in the squad for Korea/Japan 2002

"I've enjoyed myself very much but I just can't match the younger generation anymore. I've done everything I ever wanted to do in football."

Romario on his retirement from professional football. Currently, he is considering a return with Rio de Janeiro state second-division side America.

"I wish God had warned me not to say some of the stupid things I've come out with on occasion."

Romario in a moment of reflection

"I didn't kill Michael Jackson, bring swine flu to Rio de Janeiro or rob anybody, yet I'm being made out to be the villain of all Brazil. Well, I'm not."

Romario at a recent press conference where he rejected allegations he was embroiled in financial scandals

• Like 1

“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”

Pure brilliance and is more destructive to religion than all of the works of Hitchens, Dawkins, Dennett and Harris put together.

"If friction causes heat, how many throbs of a Donkeys knob, does it take to boil a kettle"

Mickey Franklin when asked by the ref what on earth he was thinking about, whilst playing for speedwell, South Birmingham league circa 1976

Still makes me smile

Men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth -- more than ruin -- more even than death... Thought is subversive and revolutionary, destructive and terrible, thought is merciless to privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habit. Thought looks into the pit of hell and is not afraid. Thought is great and swift and free, the light of the world, and the chief glory of man.

Bertrand Russell.

I think its true to say that only inferior people have rights. When you hear a person talking about his rights, you may be sure he is trying to gain by dint of shouting about something which he lacks (or has lost) by reason of some culpable deficiency in himself. You never hear successful men talking about their rights.

Flann O'Brien

Men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth -- more than ruin -- more even than death... Thought is subversive and revolutionary, destructive and terrible, thought is merciless to privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habit. Thought looks into the pit of hell and is not afraid. Thought is great and swift and free, the light of the world, and the chief glory of man.

Bertrand Russell.

You could have put anything that man has said on here tbh . A brilliant and fearless mind.

Like any man I would like to live a long life, longevity has its place. I may not get there with you but I'm not concerned about that right now, But I want you to know tonight that we as a people will get to the promised land" MLK

I think its true to say that only inferior people have rights. When you hear a person talking about his rights, you may be sure he is trying to gain by dint of shouting about something which he lacks (or has lost) by reason of some culpable deficiency in himself. You never hear successful men talking about their rights.

Flann O'Brien

Sometimes true, but overall: dangerous bollox imo.

"Successful" men don't need to talk about their rights to anyone except their expensive lawyers.

And the reason they're "successful" is often because they've ignored the rights of others in the first place.

"I don't know why people constantly have a go at David Beckham for being thick. I mean, no one says a thing about Stephen Hawking being shit at football do they?" - Author unknown.

" The general public are ignorant and meddlesome outsiders who must be put in their place. They are to be spectators of action not participants who must be regimented to abandon any ideas about controlling their own lives"

Edward Bernays on "Propaganda" I think he was American ! (or from Walsall )

simple enough but:

"this too shall pass". which apparently comes from some Persian Sufi legend, but whether true or not it's always helped to calm me down when need be!

What should pass??Story behind it sounds intresting but makes no sense without knowing what is meant by it

Â