hs2 Waste of Money or not?

PauloBarnesi

The locals are even more against that than those who are against HS2.  And the island airport will be where a few million people live, rather than a few thousand. 

Out of curiosity, do you think this kind of attitude was around when the motorways were built in the 50s and 60s, or did people give less of a **** back then because there was less media coverage of it? 

No idea but why wouldnt they just upgrade the west coast mainline track ??

Like I say if the virgin Pendelino out of BHX didn't stop at Cov and MK it would be in euston in about 50 mins anyway ?

Just don't see the need for this

I've said it before and I'll say it again,  HS2 is about making Birmingham Airport part of the South East.  Anything else is just there to keep other people happy, but with little room for expansion of Heathrow or Gatwick then having a link which puts Birmingham International within 45 minutes of zone one is the next best option as far as international business is concerned. 

Why can't people (if they must) fly in to do business in Birmingham? 

I think awareness grew of the environmental, social and aesthetic impact of motorways as more and more got built. Peoples attitudes to cars have changed in the UK.   

No idea but why wouldnt they just upgrade the west coast mainline track ??

Like I say if the virgin Pendelino out of BHX didn't stop at Cov and MK it would be in euston in about 50 mins anyway ?

Just don't see the need for this

Nah, 104 miles in 50 minutes.  It would need to average a speed of 125mph, which is impossible on current infrastructure. 

Assuming that 90% of the labour and material will be UK sourced, how much of the total budget would be returned to the UK economy via: taxes paid; thousands of reasonably well paid construction and service employees not claiming welfare or tax credits; the same employees, who may otherwise be unemployed or in low paid jobs, spending their wages on goods and services in support of the UK economy? It must amount to a significant return of the initial outlay.

No agenda, just curious.

You can do BHX - euston in 68 mins already and that includes 2 stops . Take out the stops and you have to be 50 something minutes

How long are the dwells at those stops?

At 125 mph for a reasonably well-powered relative to weight electric train, you're not going to see a stop penalty above 2 minutes and that's assuming that the non-stop train runs at 125 through the stop. If the stop's in an area where the tracks are slow to begin with, the penalty for a stop goes towards zero.

How long are the dwells at those stops?At 125 mph for a reasonably well-powered relative to weight electric train, you're not going to see a stop penalty above 2 minutes and that's assuming that the non-stop train runs at 125 through the stop. If the stop's in an area where the tracks are slow to begin with, the penalty for a stop goes towards zero.

Coventry the stop is about 2 mins + the slow down and start up say 5 min delay

MK is a similar process. So in my simple mind you could shave 10 mins off a 68 min journey

I'm all for it. Should have been built 30 years ago, but better late than never. Surely a lot of the money will come back into the economy anyway through job creation and taxes.

Midlands Today tried to convince me otherwise, as they had a feature on the line passing near a stable in Warwickshire. Oh, the horror! Some of the hyperbole in their story was ridiculous. People talking about their lives being 'utterly devastated'. I live 100 yards from a train line and my life is just fine. Get some perspective ffs.

Hopefully this'll lead to Brum Airport being expanded too as it'll be another London airport (though if they try and call it 'London Birmingham Airport' like they've done with Luton, I will riot), and be good for the city. Shame I'll be about 110 years old by the time it's finished.

Edited by blunther

Why do people flying in to Birmingham airport have to go to London?? If that is the real reason for this folly, I doubt you'll hear a politician say it, because that's a bloody scandal. It's meant to be about spreading he wealth geographically.

The HS2 is coming lets get ready for it a make the most of it for Birmingham. We need to get our ass in gear and develop the area around the station into a highly attractive area for retail, restaurants, live entertainment, hit the ground running. Get moor street connection to Stratford sorted, a Tolkien based attraction. Perhaps a museum of Birmingham as well.

Make no mistake about it, if there is a quick line between Birmingham and London tourists will go the south, play up to our strengths and we may well attract some north.

Its time for the leaders (lol) of Birmingham to make a stand for us to show our cities strengths to the world.

Currently on my way back from Manchester Picc to BHX on the cross country service.

Have to say, the service is **** woeful. Slow, uncomfortable and the words removed haven't even been round with a trolley.

Edited by CI

CI, on 29 Jan 2013 - 15:15, said:

Currently on my way back from Manchester Picc to BHX on the cross country service.

Have to say, the service is **** woeful. Slow, uncomfortable and the words removed haven't even been round with a trolley.

Good, trolley service generally annoys me, its much like someone knocking on my door to sell me something. If I want something I get out of my seat and walk to the buffet car. Walking up and down moving trains is fun too which is an added bonus.

CI, on 29 Jan 2013 - 17:48, said:

No buffet car

And the government wanted to give the West Coast Mainline to First Group too.

Bring back British Rail. The railways should never have been privatised in the first place. They should be viewed as national infrastructure not profit for MP's mates

God no , you may not like privatisation but reminiscing about  British rail is slightly misplaced .. it was awful

Tony, you say that, but ever since privatisation the service around here has gone shitpie.

I'll illustrate:

In BR days they couldn't be bothered to man the stations where I lived or where school was. They also didn't bother with tickety guys on the train. The result? The result was that whilst we didn't have to jump out of the slam doors on 'death curve' just before the station we still did. Just to keep sharp as we felt it was a valuable skill. But if you had a cold, you could stay on board and exit via the station. The train money could be spent on monster munch and panini stickers.

Then privatisation. Staff to take your money and the doors can't be opened mid journey to bail out.

and they call that progress!

bastards

• Like 1

Â