hs2 Waste of Money or not?

PauloBarnesi

So NIMBYism basically.

I do seem to recall a few marvellous journeys from Snow Hill that were everso smooth and with announcements that sounded as though they were read by the guy that sounds like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pd9QZNRsXbY. I dunno, was it you?

Highly unlikely! I sound like a man shouting into a bucket when I make announcements. Our trains stop at the Ruislips (West & South) too, so if you have ever been into Marylebone from one of those places then there is an outside chance I have chauffeured you.

It was disappointing that nobody on QT on TV last night put up an argument against, other one audience member. Oh and I forgot, that adulterous hypocrite and vile piece of shit Kelvin MacKenzie did too, in a round about way, questioning whether this would really solve the issues it's meant on the London commuter lines.

Highly unlikely! I sound like a man shouting into a bucket when I make announcements.

You dissapoint me :(

I don't actually use the line from Ruislip much at all (which is bizarre as I live next to the station!). I tend to drive to work (which isn't in central London, hurrah!) and spend very little weekends here (I usually go back to Portsmouth or Brum). I suppose I should make the most of it and all that whilst I'm here but I really cannot be bothered with London. Does that make me strange?

I've lived in Ruislip for the past 6 months and it's interesting to see how against it the local population are: there are roundabouts with placards saying "stop HS2" (sponsored by the local estate agents), signs in shops and even local community-led demonstrations. I'm not really sure what impact it would have here (I won't be around when it actually begins to happen) but I'm intrigued. I've come to like the place.

Kind of interesting that they are next to an RAF airfield & a motorway which is hardly silent. Parts of Ruislip are nice, going up to the Lido. But this is a place that has (as far as I know) the only Phil Collins tribute act...

http://www.500kmh.com

London to Brum in 30 mins ...why invest in old technology

The Shanghai maglev cost $1.2 BN to build and is 19 miles long so on paper if London to Brum is 100 miles direct it's even cheaper than HS 2 as well ( always worth checking my late night math though)

wouldn't this be the way to go , would even keep the tree huggers happy as well

• 1 year later...

I'm all for spending big on the rail network. But never mind making it faster, make it better.

The colossal amount they are going to (over)spend, just to knock 15 mins off Leeds to London?

Why not have more trains, better trains, and lower fares? Then people might be likely to use them.

London to b'ham in 49 mins

It's only 68 mins now so what a 19 min improvement

68 mins and if train didn't stop at Cov & MK then I'm guessing that would shave another 10 mins off so a 9 min improvement ??

A lad at work found out that his countryside cottage might come under the compulsory purchase scheme. Naturally, he's angry and furious. 

A lad at work found out that his countryside cottage might come under the compulsory purchase scheme. Naturally, he's angry and furious.

A mate who used to live in Wall outside Shenstone had the same thing when they put the BNRR in, they gave him shit money for it too.

Very rare i use trains but whenever I do there always packed and stink of piss. Feel for people who have to use then often. Must have the worst rail network in the world

India says Hello

London to b'ham in 49 mins

It's only 68 mins now so what a 19 min improvement

68 mins and if train didn't stop at Cov & MK then I'm guessing that would shave another 10 mins off so a 9 min improvement ??

I've said it before and I'll say it again,  HS2 is about making Birmingham Airport part of the South East.  Anything else is just there to keep other people happy, but with little room for expansion of Heathrow or Gatwick then having a link which puts Birmingham International within 45 minutes of zone one is the next best option as far as international business is concerned. 

Â