hs2 Waste of Money or not?

PauloBarnesi

was talk of one option being to start hs2 from Heathrow .. or did they mean in addition to Euston ?

I believe Heathrow would be/was in addition to the Euston terminal. I haven't read the detail of the HS2 proposal and current agreement so have the following questions for those who have!

Is the Heathrow connection still proposed?

Where is the connection at Birmingham International going to be (a new station?)? Living just a minute from M42 junction 1, I currently use the M42 and park up at B'ham Int. which takes just 20 minutes and saves the time/connection hassle of the journey in to New Street.

What is the predicted travel time from B'ham Int. to Euston?

Will there be a through service to HS1 and Paris/Brussels albeit with perhaps a 20 minute turnaround at St. Pancras Int.?

Will I be able to use it with my staff privelige pass - any clue Rev?

The Times say there will be four stations for HS2, Euston and Curzon street obviously, Old oak Common which will be a station in North west London for some reason and a Birmingham Interchange station near Park Hall nature reserve wherever that is so don't think International station will actually be used!

By the time its built you may well be in a very different job :D

Dunno about priv passes. A couple of blokes I work with have Priv season tickets on HS1 between London and Chatham I think. They certainly travel on it, though I guess their tickets might be ex BR residential seasons. Either way, worry about it in 15 years.

Thanks both.

I've past the service required (20 years) to keep my free rail travel for life (provided I leave through retirement or redundancy and not resignation or dismissal).

I have free travel on HS1 but have to pay a fee to use the 'chunnel'. When my wife and I went to Paris it was £13 each way for standard class but we upgraded to their first class to get the meal and drinks so it cost £26 each. Hopefully we'll get free use of HS2, even if it is in my retirement! :D

An hour from my home near Bromsgrove to Euston and/or Heathrow would be cool!

Any answers on my other questions, above?

was talk of one option being to start hs2 from Heathrow .. or did they mean in addition to Euston ?

I believe Heathrow would be/was in addition to the Euston terminal. I haven't read the detail of the HS2 proposal and current agreement so have the following questions for those who have!

Where is the connection at Birmingham International going to be (a new station?)? Living just a minute from M42 junction 1, I currently use the M42 and park up at B'ham Int. which takes just 20 minutes and saves the time/connection hassle of the journey in to New Street.

Will there be a through service to HS1 and Paris/Brussels albeit with perhaps a 20 minute turnaround at St. Pancras Int.?

The Times say there will be four stations for HS2, Euston and Curzon street obviously, Old oak Common which will be a station in North west London for some reason and a Birmingham Interchange station near Park Hall nature reserve wherever that is so don't think International station will actually be used!

I'm surprised if there's no link to Birmingham International airport/station. Perhaps 'Park Hall nature reserve' is in fact a field next to the airport/station!

I've worked at Old Oak Common. It's a dump at the moment but there is a lot of room for a new station that would serve a couple of million people who live in the suburbs of North and West London well; it's pointless travelling South/East in to Euston to come back out again.

priv passes.

OT

My dad worked for London Underground and up until I was 16 I used to be able to get a return ticket anywhere in the UK for £1 ..much to the annoyance of the other members of the London Lions

I went to the Celtic Villa pre season friendly for £1 return :-) it was a few weeks before my 16th and one of my last trips on it

I'm surprised if there's no link to Birmingham International airport/station. Perhaps 'Park Hall nature reserve' is in fact a field next to the airport/station!

I've worked at Old Oak Common. It's a dump at the moment but there is a lot of room for a new station that would serve a couple of million people who live in the suburbs of North and West London well; it's pointless travelling South/East in to Euston to come back out again.

It's by water Orton so about 10 minutes to BHX.

You already have Coleshill Parkway in that area which is a sort of transport hub to the airport.

It's by water Orton so about 10 minutes to BHX.

You already have Coleshill Parkway in that area which is a sort of transport hub to the airport.

Thanks for the information. Looks like I'll be staying on the M42 for another 5 minutes then.

priv passes.

OT

My dad worked for London Underground and up until I was 16 I used to be able to get a return ticket anywhere in the UK for £1 ..much to the annoyance of the other members of the London Lions

I went to the Celtic Villa pre season friendly for £1 return :-) it was a few weeks before my 16th and one of my last trips on it

8)

By a reciprocal LUL/BR agreement I get 75% off London Transport cost.

That reminds me of a programme BBC did a few months ago on HS2. The main campaigner against HS2 Jerry Marshall I think, was at Curzon Street and he couldn't even find new street, took him 20 minutes to go there! Don't know if he is a brummie or not but dosen't really reflect well on him that?!

I imagine some sort of mono-rail/tram system will get built as it's quite a steep uphill walk to get to new street so wouldn't be great for people with luggage.

He had no hidden agenda then? If you cant find New Street from Curzon Street then you are either a **** idiot or just not trying. Yes, it is a fair walk from the old station building on Curzon Street to New Street station (it will be a nice walk though the new park by the time things open) but as far as I can tell the station is going to be elevated and come out more or less on Moor Street. I think the platforms will be almost over what are currently private car parks.

vImCL.jpg

This is how I see it looking. The new HS2 station will be somewhere in that red zone and come quite a bit further forward than the old station at Curzon Street (marked blue, with the station building being marked with a yellow circle) which will really help in the council's desire to open up the east side. It will make the city centre bigger, but that is a good thing isnt it?

I've worked at Old Oak Common.

When were you there? We have plenty of ex Old Oak men at my place. Perhaps we have some mutual friends?

I guess that it'll be built as a terminus then. It would be blumin hard tunnelling under the centre from there, much easier to change ends and run the northern extension back out the same way.

priv passes.

OT

Is your dad Bob Crowe :D

I was up there at the weekend; I know they have knocked down the old Factory and everything that side for Cross Rail and then eventually will be where they build the station. The rest is still there; no idea what they have planned for the Eurostar depot which has been mothballed. Next to the wonderful Wormwood Scrubs...

I guess that it'll be built as a terminus then. It would be blumin hard tunnelling under the centre from there, much easier to change ends and run the northern extension back out the same way.

Yeah. The junction to the northern branch will be at Water Orton I believe.

Somewhat related, there is serious talk of reopening the Camp Hill line (Camp Hill/Sparkbrook, Moseley, Kings Heath, Cotteridge) to passengers and having those trains go into Moor Street station. It will probably open at about the same time as HS2 if it happens, it will just be another thing which makes that whole side of the city centre "open" to people. At the moment I think town ends for a lot of people at High Street, that will change if more enter the city centre at Moor Street. It's certainly an improvement on the days when it was the inner ring road only crossable by subways which stunk of piss. I think Birmingham's reputation as a bit of a concrete jungle has all but gone, but it was shit like that which earned the reputation. Good riddance I say.

I've worked at Old Oak Common.

When were you there? We have plenty of ex Old Oak men at my place. Perhaps we have some mutual friends?

Doubtful, as I was working on fibre cables and rail telecomms transmission systems! I've had a cab pass for survey work over much of the country but that was nearly 15 years ago and my memory for names and faces is Sh!t.

Somewhat related, there is serious talk of reopening the Camp Hill line (Camp Hill/Sparkbrook, Moseley, Kings Heath, Cotteridge) to passengers and having those trains go into Moor Street station. It will probably open at about the same time as HS2 if it happens, it will just be another thing which makes that whole side of the city centre "open" to people. At the moment I think town ends for a lot of people at High Street, that will change if more enter the city centre at Moor Street. It's certainly an improvement on the days when it was the inner ring road only crossable by subways which stunk of piss. I think Birmingham's reputation as a bit of a concrete jungle has all but gone, but it was shit like that which earned the reputation. Good riddance I say.

If it goes ahead as planned, HS2 will certainly expand/open up the city centre as you say. It can only help the image of Birmingham and it's city centre. I've worked in Manchester the past 9 months and I'll admit their city centre is more impressive and seems larger (despite the area covered by it's suburbs being less than half the size and half the population of Birmingham). The city centre expansion caused by HS2 will redress the balance.

priv passes.

OT

Is your dad Bob Crowe :D

:lol:

I've lived in Ruislip for the past 6 months and it's interesting to see how against it the local population are: there are roundabouts with placards saying "stop HS2" (sponsored by the local estate agents), signs in shops and even local community-led demonstrations. I'm not really sure what impact it would have here (I won't be around when it actually begins to happen) but I'm intrigued. I've come to like the place.

I've lived in Ruislip for the past 6 months and it's interesting to see how against it the local population are: there are roundabouts with placards saying "stop HS2" (sponsored by the local estate agents), signs in shops and even local community-led demonstrations. I'm not really sure what impact it would have here (I won't be around when it actually begins to happen) but I'm intrigued. I've come to like the place.

I think their objection is that there'll be a lot of compulsory purchase orders and it will rip up their local area a bit but they don't get any benefit as the line bypasses them. There was a big thing on it on the London news the other day and they were up in the Chalfonts interviewing people who were pretty much all against it.

Â