Martin O'Neill

maqroll

The circus over di racio could actually take the focus off the players a bit and may help them.

I hope they go down for him and also for his comments against us when we beat them in the cup earlier this season

Di Canio walks out of a press conference when asked if he's a fascist. Utterly embarrassing for Sunderland.

yep but is anyone actually focussing on the players or the shite position they are in or him?

Di Canio walks out of a press conference when asked if he's a fascist. Utterly embarrassing for Sunderland.

yep but is anyone actually focussing on the players or the shite position they are in or him?

They will after he has loses his first game.

Edited by AVFCforever1991

At least McLeish wasn't a fascist! 

Yeah but he was an incredibly shit manager though, and since we're supporting a football club and not a political party I'd take the better manager any day regardless of his political beliefs.

I think Di Canio's mistake was being open about his views. Football and politics should never mix.

• Like 1

Yeah but he was an incredibly shit manager though, and since we're supporting a football club and not a political party I'd take the better manager any day regardless of his political beliefs.

I think Di Canio's mistake was being open about his views. Football and politics should never mix.

there's being open about your views and there's being open about your views by saluting fascists with a fascist salute on the pitch

panto baddy

there's being open about your views and there's being open about your views by saluting fascists with a fascist salute on the pitch

panto baddy

Well as I said, I don't think politics and football should mix at all therefore I obviously don't agree with Di Canio's decision to be so open about his political beliefs.

Well as I said, I don't think politics and football should mix at all therefore I obviously don't agree with Di Canio's decision to be so open about his political beliefs.

Presumably then the Villa team should have just gone ahead and made the Nazi salute in 1938 when they were told to, without complaining about it? 

Presumably then the Villa team should have just gone ahead and made the Nazi salute in 1938 when they were told to, without complaining about it? 

Actually no, because giving the salute would be more political than not giving it.

Anyway, I said that I don't believe politics and football should mix therefore if I were around then I'd be opposed to the whole idea of there even being political gestures as football matches anywhere.

Edited by Mantis

No, they were commanded to give it by the German authorities. Not giving it (or not wanting to give it), would have been making a political standpoint. 

If football and politics should never mix then they should have just got on with doing what they were ordered to do.

• Like 1

No, they were commanded to give it by the German authorities. Not giving it (or not wanting to give it), would have been making a political standpoint. 

If football and politics should never mix then they should have just got on with doing what they were ordered to do.

Giving a salute like that implies endorsement of the ideology, whereas not giving it simply implies that you don't agree with that one particular ideology, or that you simply don't believe football and politics should mix.

If football and politics never mixed then those salutes would never have been required in the first place. The fact that these salutes were required for sporting events in Germany mean that no matter what choice the athletes made (whether to salute or not) they were still making a political statement of some kind.

Edited by Mantis

Hmmm, maybe you're just not particularly familiar with what the political climate was like in Germany in 1938.

There wasn't really a whole lot of freedom of to choose whether you did or didn't express yourself politically. Particularly when asked to.

Hmmm, maybe you're just not particularly familiar with what the political climate was like in Germany in 1938.

There wasn't really a whole lot of freedom of to choose whether you did or didn't express yourself politically. Particularly when asked to.

Of course I am. That was completely uncalled for.

I'm well aware that it was required for them to do the salute but they didn't literally physically force foreign athletes to do it. My point was that whatever choice they made with regards to the salute they would be making a political statement. If you did it then you are implying that you agreed with the regime to at least some extent (regardless of the fact that it was required) and if you didn't do it you were making a statement that you disagreed with Nazism. Naturally I applaud those who chose not to do the salute but you seem to be under the impression that those that did it weren't making a political statement.

Maybe you're just not particularly familiar with what constitutes a political act and what doesn't? In this case, saluting and not saluting were both political acts.

Edited by Mantis

Why is is that 50% of VT threads descend into talk about MON, but the MON thread itself descends into condescending posts about the knowledge that something not very nice was going on in Germany in 1938? I'm a bit baffled.

Surely the PdC stuff should go in the Sunderland thread?

And political science in it's respective Bolotics thread?

• Like 2

Is Martin O'Neill a Nazi?  What the **** is going on in this thread?

Possibly why he made a good start with us but ran out of steam towards the end.

Â