Martin O'Neill

maqroll

Because why would you if you were offered an amount of money you were happy with to accept out of court? Why go through all the hassle if you can get money and not have to do that?

Why would the club settle if they had such a good case for him just quitting and walking out? If a manager really did **** them over like that wouldn't they want to send a message?

Why not go for more money and embarrass the club at the same time?

Why would O'Neill settle if he had such a good case for constructive dismissal? If the club really did force him to resign then wouldn't he want to send a message?

Works both ways.

well would he not have liked to have won more money in court if he was in teh right plus getting his "reputation" cleared

Get his reputation cleared? It's only a handful of fans on here who seem that bothered about it.

And of course he could get more money but there's also the risk of losing. If the amount is acceptable, and given the accounts show £16 million paid in compensation to past managers I assume it is, why wouldn't you take that?

Not really.

Because like I said who got what they wanted?

MoN got money from the football club who I'm pretty certain didn't want to pay him a single penny.

No one really got what they wanted. O'Neill may have got money but he didn't win the case.

This thread has gone really **** boring.  None of you know the details of something that happened to other people two years ago, so let's move on and stop clogging up the board with speculative bullshit.

Martin O'Neill is an overrated manager.

• Like 2

This thread has gone really **** boring.  None of you know the details of something that happened to other people two years ago, so let's move on and stop clogging up the board with speculative bullshit.

Amen.

Villa offered a decent settlement O'Neill accepted.There's really very little you can read into it except for the fact that the settlement was satisfactory to both parties.

Had O'Neill turned down a decent settlement and taken the matter to court, he would likely be liable for all AVFC's legal costs - even if he won. Principles generally go out the **** window when you realise how much lawyers charge for photocopying.

Edited by RunRickyRun

Yep. Most cases of this type are settled out of court. Neither side wants to take it on in an actual court case. Much too messy, time consuming and expensive.

Much better all round for Lerner to write a check MON found acceptable and send him on his way.

Moving Milner into middle was another fluke as i remember he wanted Downing to replace Barry. 

This is slightly revisionist. He made the tactical decision to move Milner into the middle, it wasn't accidentally thrust upon him. Just because we signed Downing when Barry left doesn't mean that it was necessarily a like-for-like replacement. 

I think he's a vindictive, overrated little ogre, but there area few great tactical decisions that he made - and that was one of them. Did it about a year too late, but he still did it.

When you fill your team with wingers, it's inevitable that one of them will eventually have to move into the middle.  It's happening at Sunderland as well.

I want sunderland to get relegated.  Not because of some vindictive vendetta against our former manager,  but because if they go down our own odds of survival are then higher

but because if they go down our own odds of survival are then higher

That's why everyone else wants them to go down.

That's true. Primarily I want them to go down because it will help Villa....  but I also want them to go down because MON is a word removed. I have no shame in admitting it, can't stand the bloke. Ridiculously overrated dinosaur in a modern game. I do wonder how the media will spin it if they go down, cos it wont be his fault. 

Edited by PieFacE

but because if they go down our own odds of survival are then higher

That's why everyone else wants them to go down.

That's true. Primarily I want them to go down because it will help Villa....  but I also want them to go down because MON is a word removed. I have no shame in admitting it, can't stand the bloke. 

Same. I wouldn't call it a "vindictive vendetta" though, some people just don't like him (for very understandable reasons) just like a lot of people on here don't like Redknapp and want to see him go down.

Also, a lot of the hostility towards Sunderland on here started with the Bent transfer. Many people don't like O'Neill but it's not like Sunderland were liked on here before he rocked up to plunge yet another club into the financial abyss.

Edited by Mantis

Â